Taxation

P.Muller

Rookie
Aug 11, 2004
Tax Plan Either Presidential Candidate

Both President Bush and Senator John Kerry have put forth a tax plan for all
Americans, as they should. However I do not think that either candidate is presently feeling the pulse of Americans.
On one hand President Bush wants to give temporary tax cuts to help spur the economy which mostly help the wealthy in this country.
On the other hand Senator Kerry wants to cut taxes for some Americans, the
middle class,and stick it to the wealthy by rolling back their tax cuts.
In a survey recently 65% of Americans believed the present taxation method
should be replace with a tax known as a "Fair Tax". Actually a Fair Tax would be a tax placed on items purchased in the marketplace. ( www.fairtax.org)
In other words American wage earners would bring home over 93% of their earnings and spend them or save them as they see fit. Americans would still
have deducted from their earnings the FICA Tax which supports Social Security. Americans at the poverty level or below would be exempted from taxation.All Americans would still have to file tax returns;in this way the IRS
would know which Americans should be exempted from taxation.

Neither the Bush or Kerry plan accomplishes what the Fair Tax would accomplish.

The Fair Tax is in the committes in both houses of the Congress and it will take a lot of prodding by all Americans to get this new tax to the floor and voted on.
As a member of the Fair Tax organization I urge you to contact your senator
or representative and ask them to co-sign this legislation.

P.Muller said:

Americans, as they should. However I do not think that either candidate is presently feeling the pulse of Americans.
On one hand President Bush wants to give temporary tax cuts to help spur the economy which mostly help the wealthy in this country.
On the other hand Senator Kerry wants to cut taxes for some Americans, the
middle class,and stick it to the wealthy by rolling back their tax cuts.
In a survey recently 65% of Americans believed the present taxation method
should be replace with a tax known as a "Fair Tax". Actually a Fair Tax would be a tax placed on items purchased in the marketplace. ( www.fairtax.org)
In other words American wage earners would bring home over 93% of their earnings and spend them or save them as they see fit. Americans would still
have deducted from their earnings the FICA Tax which supports Social Security. Americans at the poverty level or below would be exempted from taxation.All Americans would still have to file tax returns;in this way the IRS
would know which Americans should be exempted from taxation.

Neither the Bush or Kerry plan accomplishes what the Fair Tax would accomplish.

The Fair Tax is in the committes in both houses of the Congress and it will take a lot of prodding by all Americans to get this new tax to the floor and voted on.
As a member of the Fair Tax organization I urge you to contact your senator
or representative and ask them to co-sign this legislation.

Sounds pretty close to Hastert's plan, no?

It does, but he was also talking about the value added tax and I do not recall how he planned to address SS. But Hastert was talking about abolishing the IRS, so I do not think there would be anything to file, as all taxes would be collected through sales.

BUT - business would still have to file SOMETHING to show how much tax they collected.

Never thought o fthis before - businesses would in essence be "tax collectors"

Businesses already have to report state and local sales taxes to the state and local government...there should not be a problem with using their same systme of reporting.

The businesses also file quarterly statements for FICA, SS and other federal taxes, so it would just go to a new tax revenue collection agency, and not the IRS (I would guess)

P.Muller said:

You are forgetting Badnarik. he has a tax plan that would elliminate the IRS and replace it with nothing. The key difference between Badnarik and the other two is Badnarik is actually proposing a decrease in spending. In other words he is actually pushing to lighten the burden on americans. The other two are just playing around with who should shoulder the burden since neither are proposing any cuts in spending.

Travis

Fmr jarhead said:
Businesses already have to report state and local sales taxes to the state and local government...there should not be a problem with using their same systme of reporting.

Some states do not have a sales tax. Oregon and NH come to mind.

Travis

Travis, why not just give your opinion on P.Muller's Fair Tax Plan? Don't divert to Badnarik.

Kathianne said:
Travis, why not just give your opinion on P.Muller's Fair Tax Plan? Don't divert to Badnarik.

First of all P mullers post was not just about the fair tax plan, but also about the presidential candidates tax plans and how they relate to the fair tax plan. Giving Badnariks tax plan is most definitly on topic. In addition, I think my post did give an opinion on his fair tax plan. It might not have been explicitly stated, but it was clear. But be a bit more explicit...

I think it would be better to elliminate the IRS and reduce spending rather than just shift the burden around which is what the fair tax plan, bushs Plan, and kerrys plan do.

Travis

badnarik is the Libertarian candidate. His proposal to reduce spending includes massive cuts in everything from welfare, business subsidies, and defense.

Mr. P said:
Who the Hell is Badnarik
anyway? :dev3:

Oh, I really wished you hadn't asked that! ;) Travis will certainly let you know! Anyways, Welcome P. Muller! Hope you enjoy yourself here. One of the people that came to my Bush party last month, helped write the Fair Tax Plan. I believe it was out of Stanford University?

tpahl said:
You are forgetting Badnarik.

You'll notice that the title of the original post was "Tax Plan Either Presidential Candidate." That's because we are talking about the two with a chance at winning.

I belong to the Libertarian party. But I am not insane. I do vote Republican whenever it makes real world sense. if the Libertarians are ever going to get their act together they need to elect state senators, then maybe Governors, then federal Senators.

Topic ? Fair tax plan seems more "fair" to me, hard to hide money if you don't spend it. The only way to cheat on taxes is by not spending your money.

Besides, there will always be state & local land taxes, which is how New Hampshire gets by.

Forum List

Back