Tax hike for middle class

Whats sick about it...is that every time he has the federal reserve print off more cash.. the value of the dollar goes down so not only are we going to pay more in taxes, but prices of everything will go up because the value of the dollar is going down down down.

Jamie

We have a debt of three trillion for a war based on lies. We have a huge deficit because of a tax cut during that war. We had people with blinders on in the White House as the nation slid onto the precipice of another great depression.

The logical thing, at this point, is to get the economy on the move again, then pay the debt. Yes, that will require a raise in taxes, on all of us. There is no other way for the government to get the money to pay the debt. When I was born, the top end tax rate was 99%. It would seem to me that in a nation that requires it's military people to fight and die in overseas wars that are unneccessary, we could all sacrifice a bit for the support of those people. However, all too many, especially the flag wavers on this board, think that support means tying a yellow ribbon around the nearest tree, and then avoiding paying anything at all in taxes.

We can all count on old rocks in my head :cuckoo:

We have a debt of three trillion for a war based on lies. We have a huge deficit because of a tax cut during that war. We had people with blinders on in the White House as the nation slid onto the precipice of another great depression.

The logical thing, at this point, is to get the economy on the move again, then pay the debt. Yes, that will require a raise in taxes, on all of us. There is no other way for the government to get the money to pay the debt. When I was born, the top end tax rate was 99%. It would seem to me that in a nation that requires it's military people to fight and die in overseas wars that are unnecessary, we could all sacrifice a bit for the support of those people. However, all too many, especially the flag wavers on this board, think that support means tying a yellow ribbon around the nearest tree, and then avoiding paying anything at all in taxes.

We have a debt of three trillion for a war based on lies.
I'm sorry, is the Jihad over? Where's my prayer rug? Three Trillion huh? is that true?

We have a huge deficit because of a tax cut during that war.
I would have guessed that we have a huge debt because we irresponsibly spend more than we have. I think most of us have a problem with prioritizing and limiting response. What role do you think actually reading and understanding what one signs into law before signing other peoples rights and lives away plays into the equation?

We had people with blinders on in the White House as the nation slid onto the precipice of another great depression.
And the mean Republicans were going to starve all the old people and take all their toys in the 90's. Strong accusations from the left. The result of which, was Republicans imitating Democrats in spending.
We were taught how great Roosevelt was during the depression, yet the information available today suggests, that we were lied to in a big way. Government prolonged the tragedy, as it is attempting again, in a bigger way.

The logical thing, at this point, is to get the economy on the move again, then pay the debt.
Do you shop when prices are at their highest, or when things are on sale? Government is compensated pretty much every time money changes hands or energy is used. Do you want to limit flow, have greater control? raise the cost. Do you want to increase flow? Lower the cost. Your system wants control, not flow.

When I was born, the top end tax rate was 99%. It would seem to me that in a nation that requires it's military people to fight and die in overseas wars that are unnecessary, we could all sacrifice a bit for the support of those people.
You could probably thank the Roosevelt camp for that 99%. I'm wondering if you know the definition of World Peace from the Islamic perspective? Tactics may be flawed, or subverted, yet our way of life is under threat. That qualifies as necessary to me. Inalienable Rights do not compromise in the way you suggest, it sort of defeats the point for the principal behind the struggle.

However, all too many, especially the flag wavers on this board, think that support means tying a yellow ribbon around the nearest tree, and then avoiding paying anything at all in taxes.
May I suggest that the birth of support for or against anything Should come from Conscience, even if in spite and contrary to the flow of the angry mob. Point by point.

"Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes," Obama told a crowd in Dover, N.H., last year.

But less than a month after taking office, Obama signed an expansion of child healthcare financed by 62-cent tax increase on each pack of cigarettes.

The floated proposals include increasing taxes on alcohol, which could raise $62 billion during the next decade, and a new tax on sugary drinks such as soda, which could raise $52 billion.

While not directly increasing taxes, a House-passed version of Obama's plan to reduce greenhouse gases blamed for causing global warming would similarly increase American families' home energy bills by $175 a year on average, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

One version would tax health benefits that exceed the value of the basic insurance plan offered to federal workers, raising about $420 billion during the next decade, according to the nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation. But limiting it to individuals making more than $100,000 a year and couples making more than $200,000 would raise only $162 billion.

The math illustrates how difficult it is to raise enough money to pay for expensive programs, when tax increases are limited to the wealthy.

Newsmax.com - Obama's Broken Promises: Higher Taxes, Massive Debt

Reality bites, sir.

"Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes," Obama told a crowd in Dover, N.H., last year.

But less than a month after taking office, Obama signed an expansion of child healthcare financed by 62-cent tax increase on each pack of cigarettes.

The floated proposals include increasing taxes on alcohol, which could raise $62 billion during the next decade, and a new tax on sugary drinks such as soda, which could raise $52 billion.

While not directly increasing taxes, a House-passed version of Obama's plan to reduce greenhouse gases blamed for causing global warming would similarly increase American families' home energy bills by $175 a year on average, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

One version would tax health benefits that exceed the value of the basic insurance plan offered to federal workers, raising about $420 billion during the next decade, according to the nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation. But limiting it to individuals making more than $100,000 a year and couples making more than $200,000 would raise only $162 billion.

The math illustrates how difficult it is to raise enough money to pay for expensive programs, when tax increases are limited to the wealthy.

Newsmax.com - Obama's Broken Promises: Higher Taxes, Massive Debt

Reality bites, sir.

Whats he gonna do with all these smoking bans take place and less people are smoking? lol have the federal reserve make more money once again..thats the ticket!

Jamie

While there are many who believe that higher taxes means less smokers which is a good thing, it is foolish to present it as a revenue generator.

Last year New Jersey became the first state to see an actual reduction in cigarette tax revenues in the same year the tax rate increased.

In fiscal year 2007, the year the tax rate was increased, the cigarette tax raised $22 million less than the previous year. Conventional wisdom was proven wrong: A tax increase doesn’t result inevitably in a revenue gain.
New Jersey Cigarette Tax Hike Reduces Revenues Again - by Gregg M. Edwards - Budget & Tax News

While there are many who believe that higher taxes means less smokers which is a good thing, it is foolish to present it as a revenue generator.

Last year New Jersey became the first state to see an actual reduction in cigarette tax revenues in the same year the tax rate increased.

In fiscal year 2007, the year the tax rate was increased, the cigarette tax raised $22 million less than the previous year. Conventional wisdom was proven wrong: A tax increase doesn’t result inevitably in a revenue gain.
New Jersey Cigarette Tax Hike Reduces Revenues Again - by Gregg M. Edwards - Budget & Tax News

WOW! look at this map that lists JUST THE STATE cigarette taxes, let alone the federal taxes on them....http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/24245.html

LOOK at the Northeast....!!!!

Almost ALL of those states have over $2 bucks a pack in cig taxes...New Jersey was $2.57 for goodness sakes....and i think New York was 2.75 a pak...gees louise!

Care

Those are some interesting statistics, chanel. I wonder what it would look like over a 10 year period.

Jamie

You are right when you say that we are in debt for a war based on lies. Did you know that we had Cash on a pallet sent over there and somehow.. it just disappeared?
Jamie

obama has made tens of millions of pallets laden with cash disapear

Whats sick about it...is that every time he has the federal reserve print off more cash.. the value of the dollar goes down so not only are we going to pay more in taxes, but prices of everything will go up because the value of the dollar is going down down down.

Jamie

our dollar devaluation has been going on for years, especially under the bush administration....it is a hidden/masked tax hike on all of us, especially the poor and middle class!

Care

Those are some interesting statistics, chanel. I wonder what it would look like over a 10 year period.

Jamie

We are hoping to elect a new governor in November. But they just raised the liquor tax 25%. People will prob. go to NY and PA to buy booze. It won't surprise me if revenue drops again.

and it will continue as long as our government can make us pick sides and blame the other party. Who knows---It may already be too late.

HELLO!!!!! REALITY CALLING!!!!! The Dems have been in control of Congress for almost 3 years!!!! When are they going to start being held accountable????

If the Dems can't fix this thing in 3 years maybe it's time for a change in Congress!

When I was born, the top end tax rate was 99%.

Uh, that would be a lie (unless, of course, you're talking about another country). The highest marginal tax rate in U.S. history was less than 94% and that was only in 1944 and 1945.

Forum List

Back