Taliban Control of Afghanistan Districts

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by longknife, Sep 10, 2018.

  1. longknife
    Offline

    longknife Diamond Member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2012
    Messages:
    37,842
    Thanks Received:
    11,653
    Trophy Points:
    1,400
    Location:
    Sin City
    Ratings:
    +23,764
    [​IMG]

    What in the hell are we still doing there? C’mon, Mister President, I support you in everything else you are doing for this country. Why the hell don’t you just get us the hell out of there?


    I know this a New York Times piece, but it jives with everything else I’ve been reading on the internet.


    Today, The New York Times published an article titled “How the U.S. Government Misleads the Public on Afghanistan.” FDD’s Long War Journal data on Taliban controlled and contested districts is compared to US military data. The side-by side comparison is striking. LWJ has long argued that the US military has provided a Pollyannish, best-case scenario of Taliban controlled & contested districts that downplays the Taliban’s territorial influence.

    The NYT article also points out several areas where the US government is exaggerating and misleading the public on Afghanistan. For instance, the the report looks at Afghan and Taliban force strengths, and how they are perceived by the US military and the Afghan government. The article finishes with a side-by-side comparison of US military statements vs NYT reporting about the Taliban’s incursion into Ghazni that is wildly unflattering. LWJ noted from the beginning of the Ghazni attack up until the end that the US military was issuing statements that did not comport to the reality on the ground.
     
  2. OsteInmar
    Offline

    OsteInmar BANNED

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2018
    Messages:
    240
    Thanks Received:
    32
    Trophy Points:
    33
    Ratings:
    +118
    The Americans lost 3,000 killed, and the Soviets 30,000, because America's goal is to fight terrorists without leaving the fortifications, and the Soviet Union-control of the entire territory, the establishment of a friendly government and the development of the entire Afghan state, and not just the war. (Similar to the Vietnam War of the USA)

    Compare:

    According to the BBC, 2018 , the Taliban controls 4 percent of the territory and "actively operates" in 66 percent of the territory. Total = 70 percent.
    It should be noted that the Taliban does not have military support from world powers.
    Americans actively use the airspace of Russia for the delivery of goods.
    If the Americans leave Afghanistan, the Taliban will seize power.
    The Americans did not build factories, hospitals or theaters, but the traffic of drugs from Afghanistan grew 50 times!

    During the presence of Soviet troops in 1988, the Soviets controlled 90 percent of the territory.
    At the same time, the Mujahideen had active military support from the countries of Europe, America and even China.
    After the departure of the Soviets, the established power lasted several years.
    Military and civilian facilities were built, which are now used by Americans.

    Here are 10 myths about the Soviet presence.
    10 myths about Afghanistan
     
  3. BlackFlag
    Online

    BlackFlag Gold Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2014
    Messages:
    14,345
    Thanks Received:
    1,308
    Trophy Points:
    280
    Location:
    3 sheets to the wind, so to speak
    Ratings:
    +10,186
    What would be the point of our military if we ever stopped fighting the impoverished sand people of the Middle East?
     

Share This Page