Take a deep dive into the world’s first underwater hotel

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The Conrad Maldives Rangali Island has officially announced the opening of the world’s first underwater hotel residence, a groundbreaking, two-story villa submerged more than 16 feet below sea level in the Indian Ocean. The deep-set dwelling, designed by Maldavian architect Ahmed Saleem with interiors by New York-based Yuji Yamazaki Architecture, is an ambitious display of architecture, design, and technology.

The villa is named The Muraka, which means “coral” in Dhivehi, the Maldives’ native language, for the way it rests on the ocean floor. The structure is composed of concrete, steel, and acrylic glass, with a spiral staircase and private elevator to aid guests in their descent below sea level. Once underwater, the structure’s glassy tunnels and see-through walls—made up of only a slender, acrylic dome—separate the spacious living quarters from the adjacent tropical reef.
Take a deep dive into the world's first underwater hotel

I don't know if I could do that underwater thing. Just looking at the pictures, I stopped breathing.

The Conrad Maldives Rangali Island has officially announced the opening of the world’s first underwater hotel residence, a groundbreaking, two-story villa submerged more than 16 feet below sea level in the Indian Ocean. The deep-set dwelling, designed by Maldavian architect Ahmed Saleem with interiors by New York-based Yuji Yamazaki Architecture, is an ambitious display of architecture, design, and technology.

The villa is named The Muraka, which means “coral” in Dhivehi, the Maldives’ native language, for the way it rests on the ocean floor. The structure is composed of concrete, steel, and acrylic glass, with a spiral staircase and private elevator to aid guests in their descent below sea level. Once underwater, the structure’s glassy tunnels and see-through walls—made up of only a slender, acrylic dome—separate the spacious living quarters from the adjacent tropical reef.
Take a deep dive into the world's first underwater hotel

I don't know if I could do that underwater thing. Just looking at the pictures, I stopped breathing.

I heard they had to close down because their fire escapes weren't up to code.

Forum List

Back