Taepodong Democrats and Missile Defense

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bonnie, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    For those who desperately want Democrats to take the House/ Senate you better wish for the few remaining Democratic Hawks to still be able to get a word or two in.!!!!!!!!

The Taepodong Democrats
    Still against missile defense, even in the age of Kim Jong Il.

Friday, July 21, 2006 12:01 a.m. EDT

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110008687

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Prediction: The dems will win big, not sure of takeover of either house, but big it will be. Between '06 and '08 enough will have hit the MSM to make appeasement impossible.

3. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    And take away the only chance we have of actually protecting our borders from a nuclear attack. Levin, Pelosi, and any others who cut or end the missile defense program are ABSOLUTE TRAITORS!!!!!!!!!! and some Americans WANT them in power..:cuckoo:

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Bonnie, many want them in power. In all truthfulness I think they are more subject to popular opinion than the administration seems to be.

5. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Personally, I'd rather wait 5-10 years and pay 10 billion for a missle defense system with an above 60% success rating in noncontrolled conditions then pay 25 to 100 billion for a system with maybe a 30% intercept rate now. Since it'll take North Korea at least a decade to build missles capable of attacking the US, I'm not too worried about the wait.

Plus in any case, if and when we do build a missle defense system we should guarantee the defenses of Japan, South Korea, Europe, Russia, India, Pakistan, the Middle East, and maybe China.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Seriously, Japan may or may not have 5-10 years and is not willing to take the gamble. They'll take a 30% chance and pay for it. If you believed you were at risk, which you do not, you would too.

7. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    In terms of dollar amounts 9/11 cost (aside from the incalculable toll on human life) this country approx 84 billion dollars. Imagine if Iran or N Korea launches sooner than 5 to 10 years. Iran is already sending submarines with launch "intentions". I think we can't afford to wait. Learn as we go and take our chances with 60% over nothing.. The Democrats mentioned in the article want the whole system scrapped, either they are extremely stupid, or they just hate America as a super power.

8. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    That's Japan's decision, not mine. I'm more than willing to station what defense systems we have there if the Japanese want it, but I'm not feeling like giving the world's second largest economy a 50 billion dollar gift because North Korea **might** attack.

However, if the Japanese and the South Koreans wanted to start a cooperative venture, I'd be open to a discussion.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I doubt anyone will ask your personal opinion. However, regardless of SK, the Aegis cruisers are deploying to Japanese waters, even as we speak, with the anti-missile defenses loaded.

10. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    But then you have to realize that with such a small intercept chance we're likely to get hit anyway. Then all you do is add the 50 billion dollar cost of an ineffective missle defense system to the political, economic, and military fallout costs that will occur anyway. Again, I'd rather wait 5-10 years and take the better defense system.

As to your other point: I know. The democrats are just being idiots. The Cold War is over. Back then MAD was effective, inadequate missle defense systems hurt our situation then, not anymore though. Ideally we'd establish a joint-cooperative effort with the Europeans, Russians, Indians, Japanese, South Koreans, and the Chinese. That way all the major players are working together for mutual defense while strengthening relations. Once that system is complete then we guarantee the protection of all the other small countries that didn't contribute to the system. That way we simulataneously destroy the ICBM threat to the country AND come out looking like heroes.