Syrian Observatory: 60,000 have died in Syrian prisons since 2011

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
That's an awful lot of people to have died in a prison in just five years.

Published May 22nd, 2016 - 17:00 GMT via SyndiGate.info

deraa-syria-bomb-may-2016-afp.jpg

Rebel fighters fill bags with rubble from destroyed buildings they will use to strengthen a front-line position in a rebel-held area of Daraa, southern Syria, on May 18, 2016. (AFP/Mohammed Abazeed)
A new report alleges 60,000 individuals died in Syrian government jails since the start of the country's civil war, mostly due to dire humanitarian conditions.

The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said in a report released Saturday, the death toll in government jails is shocking.

"Since March 2011, at least 60,000 people lost their lives to torture or to horrible conditions, notably the lack of medication or food, in regime prisons," the group's spokesman Rami Abdel Rahman told Al Jazeera.

United Nations Special Envoy to Syria Staffan de Mistura has estimated the death toll during the five-year war at more than 400,000 people.

Continue reading at:

Sally wrote: That's an awful lot of people to have died in a prison in just five years

Dat's 12,000 a year...

... don't surprise me...

... Syrian prisons are notoriously notorius...

... Bashar L Assad is runnin' the country.

Sally wrote: That's an awful lot of people to have died in a prison in just five years

Dat's 12,000 a year...

... don't surprise me...

... Syrian prisons are notoriously notorius...

... Bashar L Assad is runnin' the country.

For syria, a bit more than average, but this is a fight for Assad to keep his grip on power. He wants no opposition, or to make them too scared to try.

Prisons used be training call for soldiers, they would watch an execution and then dip bread in the blood. It is a psychological way for them feeling they have power over the enemy.

Torture was common place. People just 'disappeared' in syrian jail.

I expect with the criminal rebels the jails would be busy. More bodies to play with.

Abu ghraib, post Saddat, was the Ritz by comparison. Under Saddat, they were neck and neck.

Forum List

Back