Swedish Economic Performance About the Same as America's

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
I'm posting this for reference, because I am sure it will come in handy some time in the future.

Some people here get the wrong impression that I am a liberal, or at least an economic liberal. I'm not. I have been a member or supporter of conservative parties in Canada and the UK, and used to regularly support the Republicans. My political hero is Margaret Thatcher, and I generally believe in free trade and less government involvement in the economy.

This mistaken impression has come because I am often arguing with conservatives over basic facts. This p****** me off because I find myself defending policies in which I often don't believe nor support just to clarify factual mistakes people make to support their own worldview.

For example, in this thread, I am being forced to defend the Swedish economy, a model I don't particularly support. I am going to re-post this so I can find it the next time I need it.

You can see all the data here.

1. Gross domestic product

Real GDP growth on a purchasing power parity basis from 1970 to 2009 for the US was 3.6% v 2.9% for Sweden. From 1980 to 2009, it was 2.8% and 1.9% respectively. From 1990 to 2009, it was 2.6% and 1.8% respectively. This decade, it has been 2% and 1.7% respectively.

America does better, right?

Well, this is almost due entirely to population growth. Over the past 40 years, GDP growth per capita for the US has been 2.9% versus 2.8% for Sweden. Over the past 30 years, it has been 1.8% and 1.7% respectively. However, since 1990, per capita GDP has grown faster in Sweden at 1.7% versus 1.6% in the US. And this decade, Swedish real per capita GDP has risen by 2% compared to 1.2% in the US.​

That doesn't mean I support all of Obama's policies, or that I think America should be like Sweden, or that we should have high taxes and a broad welfare system, or anything like that. It just means that people should look at basic facts and data rather than continuously spout trite bromides to reinforce their own beliefs.

How much of that do you attribute to Sweden having its banking/housing crisis much earlier than the US?

You know NOTHING of economics boyo.

You cannot compare a country roughly the size of New Jersey to the U.S. economy. (and New Jersey is more diverse to boot)

Good Lord man, get a clue...

I understand the feeling; this sort of thing usually happens to me in real life depending on who I'm talking to, in a variety of issues (i.e. if someone's being really extreme one way, I tend to pull towards the opposite way even though I generally agree with the point of view). Almost never happens on the board, but it happens a lot in real life. It just gets annoying.

Forum List

Back