Supreme Court Upholds Part of Arizona Law

The main issue is that the Supremes put a limit on Federal power. It is not a win for Obama&Co. It is a loss.

75% of the law's provisions that were up for debate were struck down. That's not a victory for AZ, so it's a win for Obama. Also, the Supreme Court also said the key provision they left in place can still be challenged in lower courts, and eventually it will probably make its way back to them, I'm sure. The injunctions from the lower courts until then will keep this law dead in the water.

So yeah, spin it all you want, but Obama won pretty big in this one, certainly more than he likely will on the ACA.

The injunction got lifted. It is not in effect. The lower court was criticized precisely because there was insufficient evidence presented to warrant that injunction. Now, it may be that at some point down the road the Feds will be able to present some evidence to justify an injunction. Anything is possible. But until they do, there is no injunction.

I think the government lost a lot of credibility making some of their silly arguments in trying to defend the key provision that did NOT get tossed out.

So while overall it's not a loss for Team Obama, it isn't such a significant win, either.

But, like you, the liberally slanted media will paint it otherwise.

Maybe. It looks more like they can ask them but can't arrest them simply for not having their papers. If so, woot!

true, but they will most likely detain them and then face lawsuits. Arizona is as stupid as Florida. It's the heat ... :rofl:

oops!
alabama is worse....they've made it illegal for businesses to enter into contracts with undocumented people.

Why is that worse? Libturds are constantly screaming that businesses that hire them should be punished (something I do not disagree with). Entering into contracts with them is similar to a contract to hire them. So where's the problem with what Alabama is doing?

true, but they will most likely detain them and then face lawsuits. Arizona is as stupid as Florida. It's the heat ... :rofl:

oops!
alabama is worse....they've made it illegal for businesses to enter into contracts with undocumented people.

Why is that worse? Libturds are constantly screaming that businesses that hire them should be punished (something I do not disagree with). Entering into contracts with them is similar to a contract to hire them. So where's the problem with what Alabama is doing?

The problem with Alabama is Alabama: :eek:

CNN is calling this a win.

The SCOTUS overturned 3 provisions they said were already federal law.

The non-discrimination aspect was upheld, which is the heart of the lawsuit.

3 provisions already federal law? The overweening question here is, if three provisions are already federal law, why is AZ forced to write state law in order to enforce them? The federal failure to enforce its own laws constitutes an abdication of duty that needs to be addressed.

The problem with Alabama is Alabama: :eek:

Now that's a well-reasoned argument.

Breaking news now. Arizona law provision constitutional, two others out the window.

Police can check immigration status if somebody stopped for other issue.

Other whacky Tea Party type laws are out. States Rights cuckoo crap is out

Supreme Court Upholds Key Part of Arizona Immigration Law - WSJ.com

The Supreme Court upheld a key part of Arizona's tough immigration law but struck down others as intrusions on federal sovereignty, in a ruling that gave both sides something to cheer in advance of November elections where immigration is a major issue.

The court backed a section of the Arizona state law that calls for police to check the immigration status of people they stop.

Conservatives: This is Presidential? Romney can't even act like a leader.

:mad:

Breaking news now. Arizona law provision constitutional, two others out the window.

The Supreme Court upheld a key part of Arizona's tough immigration law but struck down others as intrusions on federal sovereignty, in a ruling that gave both sides something to cheer in advance of November elections where immigration is a major issue.

The court backed a section of the Arizona state law that calls for police to check the immigration status of people they stop.

Conservatives: This is Presidential? Romney can't even act like a leader.

:mad:

WTF is Dainty babbling about?

The main issue is that the Supremes put a limit on Federal power. It is not a win for Obama&Co. It is a loss.

75% of the law's provisions that were up for debate were struck down. That's not a victory for AZ, so it's a win for Obama. Also, the Supreme Court also said the key provision they left in place can still be challenged in lower courts, and eventually it will probably make its way back to them, I'm sure. The injunctions from the lower courts until then will keep this law dead in the water.

So yeah, spin it all you want, but Obama won pretty big in this one, certainly more than he likely will on the ACA.

Wrong.
Nevertheless, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer cast the decision as a "victory" for the state. "I am confident our officers are prepared to carry out this law responsibly and lawfully. Nothing less is acceptable," she said in a statement, adding that officers have been trained not to racially profile in their stops.

Erika Andiola, an activist and undocumented immigrant in Arizona, said that the Latino community will not be happy with the decision, as the immigration checks portion of the law was most unpopular with them. "It's another message to the Latino community that if you look brown you're a perfect target for the police," she said
So you've got the governor happy and an undocumented Latino activist unhappy. Sounds like a win for the good guys to me.

back on topic...

:eusa_whistle:

back on topic...

Lame ass bumps are for quiffy motherfuckers.

Just noting it for Dainty's edification.

Funny, that is the part of the law that Obama objected to.

Obama wins another immigration battle. Woo hoo!!!!!

So you are for illegal immigration. What an ass.

No one I know is for illegal immigration. I've lost jobs to illegal immigrants. Conservatives who are cheap keep hiring them over qualified Americans like me.

I am for sanity and rational policy. The Dream Act. and Obama has deported more illegals criminals and others, than any other President.

so stfu

The key provision was upheld, so you can't call it a "pretty big win" win for Obama.

By the way, why do you continue to post a lie about about Abraham Lincoln?

Both parties are for cheap immigration, one to get voters and the other to get cheap workers.

AZ overstepped its boundaries and was slapped into place. AZ won nothing in that if one is detained legally, one's background is open to investigation.

BHO and MR are turning the illegal immigration issue into a probable reform effort that will work.

The key provision was upheld, so you can't call it a "pretty big win" win for Obama.

By the way, why do you continue to post a lie about about Abraham Lincoln?

that main provision will be abused by immigrantion nazis, so it will eventually be struck down. :clap2:

Forum List

Back