Subtleties of American English

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
This topic can be useful to foreigners who don't speak American English well, like me, but it can also be just any discussion.

It may be some questions from foreigners , and the Americans can answer them if they are so kind.

I want to ask how important is word order in interrogative sentences in American English?

It is believed that in the interrogative form, the auxiliary verb should appear at the beginning of the sentence. For example I am - Am I

How is it permissible to use interrogative forms without changing the words in places? I heard it, for example I heard "You can?" instead of "Can you?"

• Banned
Wow. I doubt if you are going to encounter a valid answer here. I think Stackoverload is more inclined to help.
I just want to know if it sounds natural or not? It doesn't matter to me how it is officially interpreted, the question is whether Americans say this often enough or not?

This topic can be useful to foreigners who don't speak American English well, like me, but it can also be just any discussion.

It may be some questions from foreigners , and the Americans can answer them if they are so kind.

I want to ask how important is word order in interrogative sentences in American English?

It is believed that in the interrogative form, the auxiliary verb should appear at the beginning of the sentence. For example I am - Am I

How is it permissible to use interrogative forms without changing the words in places? I heard it, for example I heard "You can?" instead of "Can you?"
That is why punctuation is so important in the first instance. If the verb was "may" in the first instance, no punctuation would be necessary but proper grammar would require it.

• Banned
That is why punctuation is so important in the first instance. If the verb was "may" in the first instance, no punctuation would be necessary but proper grammar would require it.
When it comes to writing.

In Russian, this is conveyed by intonation in speech. There are no auxiliary verbs and there is no strict word order of a sentence.
I think it should work in American English too

I just want to know if it sounds natural or not? It doesn't matter to me how it is officially interpreted, the question is whether Americans say this often enough or not?
Yes, rising voice inflection indicates the meaning of "you can?" vs. "you can".

Clearly "Can you" is a request whereas "You can" is suggestive and not properly followed by a question mark.

Clearly "Can you" is a request whereas "You can" is suggestive and not properly followed by a question mark.
You can? is also properly used in some cases when the inquisitor is questioning the subjects ability to do something as in response to someone saying "I can run a mile in three minutes." In this case it would convey incredulity.

What about other forms? Is it possible to convey the expressions "I am", "he is", "they do" etc with intonation? Does it work for all similar expressions with any auxiliary verbs?

Forum List

Back