student's turtle project takes dark twist

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
College student's turtle project takes dark twist - Yahoo! News

CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) — Clemson University student Nathan Weaver set out to determine how to help turtles cross the road. He ended up getting a glimpse into the dark souls of some humans.

Weaver put a realistic rubber turtle in the middle of a lane on a busy road near campus. Then he got out of the way and watched over the next hour as seven drivers swerved and deliberately ran over the animal. Several more apparently tried to hit it but missed...

The number of box turtles is in slow decline, and one big reason is that many wind up as roadkill while crossing the asphalt, a slow-and-steady trip that can take several minutes.

Sometimes humans feel a need to prove they are the dominant species on this planet by taking a two-ton metal vehicle and squishing a defenseless creature under the tires, said Hal Herzog, a Western Carolina University psychology professor.

"They aren't thinking, really. It is not something people think about. It just seems fun at the time," Herzog said. "It is the dark side of human nature."

We often stop to (safely!) move turtles of the road and have taken about a gazillion to our vet. Killing such a defenseless and benign creature sure as hell would not make me feel "dominant". Indeed, it would make me feel just the opposite.

Many years ago, when I still fished, I saw a fisherman hook a turtle, cut off his head and throw the body back in the water.

While living in Tucson, I remember seeing a pickup swerve to the other lane in order to hit a family of tiny quail chicks and their parents.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef6Ggl1-MAw]Gambel's Quail chicks emerge from their nest - YouTube[/ame]

What do others think about this?

CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) — Clemson University student Nathan Weaver set out to determine how to help turtles cross the road. He ended up getting a glimpse into the dark souls of some humans.

Weaver put a realistic rubber turtle in the middle of a lane on a busy road near campus. Then he got out of the way and watched over the next hour as seven drivers swerved and deliberately ran over the animal. Several more apparently tried to hit it but missed...

The number of box turtles is in slow decline, and one big reason is that many wind up as roadkill while crossing the asphalt, a slow-and-steady trip that can take several minutes.

Sometimes humans feel a need to prove they are the dominant species on this planet by taking a two-ton metal vehicle and squishing a defenseless creature under the tires, said Hal Herzog, a Western Carolina University psychology professor.

"They aren't thinking, really. It is not something people think about. It just seems fun at the time," Herzog said. "It is the dark side of human nature."

We often stop to (safely!) move turtles of the road and have taken about a gazillion to our vet. Killing such a defenseless and benign creature sure as hell would not make me feel "dominant". Indeed, it would make me feel just the opposite.

Many years ago, when I still fished, I saw a fisherman hook a turtle, cut off his head and throw the body back in the water.

While living in Tucson, I remember seeing a pickup swerve to the other lane in order to hit a family of tiny quail chicks and their parents.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef6Ggl1-MAw]Gambel's Quail chicks emerge from their nest - YouTube[/ame]

7 out of 265 isnt a large number.

It is an interesting study, but there are two issues one must deal with.

1st: Crappy drivers who may appear to be aiming at the turtle, but may have been trying to avoid it (they just suck at driving).

2nd: For a more realistic approach he should have had the turtle moving across the road at a set interval.

The last issue has nothing to do with the results, and more to do with the fact that his test might have caused an accident due to someone trying to swerve out of the way.

Turtles in the road are dangerous. They need to be eradicated. My car is my protection from this evil. DON'T TAKE AWAY MY RIGHT TO PROTECT MYSELF FROM THIS REPTILIAN MENACE!

And people wonder what the real problem is .........................

I'll keep saying this until it sinks in. When the hell did everyone get so damned violent and angry?

When did life become so meaningless?

Turtles in the road are dangerous. They need to be eradicated. My car is my protection from this evil. DON'T TAKE AWAY MY RIGHT TO PROTECT MYSELF FROM THIS REPTILIAN MENACE!

And people wonder what the real problem is .........................

I'll keep saying this until it sinks in. When the hell did everyone get so damned violent and angry?

When did life become so meaningless?

The observation was less about the turtles and more about the people. My obervation was about possible issues with the study from a scientific perspective.

Again, 7 out of 265, even assuming malice on the part of the drivers and not crappy driving, is only 2.6% of the sample.

Around 3.1% of the US adult population is currently either incarcerated, on parole, or on probation, so the number of people who (may) want to smush turtles lines up well with the criminal element in society.

Yeah Luddite, Humans are just terrible aren't they? Gov't should just imprison them all right?

You need help Luddite because everyone of your posts just drip with negativity, depression and gloom and doom. Go see a shrink or go to AA or NA for whatever your problem is.

The last time I saw a mass turtle migration was in Missouri. There were so many that you couldn't help but run them over. Sad? yes, Hatred for humanity? No. See because SMART people know that GOD makes untold thousands of Turtles because they know such things will happen and can't be helped.

Last edited:

Yeah people are sick bastards. I one time saw a turtle in the middle of the road. i pulled off to the side of the road, got out and hurried to the turtle but before I got there another car came by and swerved to hit the turtle and killed it right in front of me. I didn't notice the car coming and was not expecting someone to do that so by the time my surprise and shock wore off, it was too late for me to get his license plate number. Sick fucker.

Last edited:

:disbelief:

:ack-1::ack-1::ack-1:

1E9556F2-B0B3-40D1-8B47-81E212A66094-10838-00000F8582C9BE59_zps0566f05a.jpg

The United States has a people that is sadistic and degenerate. They kill turtles for the same reason they kill babies. They want to.

Not that the froot loops want to FACTS here but, IMO, more people swerve to miss animals in the road than swerve to hit them.

AND, try not to be tooo shocked but, if I have the choice to endanger myself and my passengers or hit the animal, I will hit the animal.

The United States has a people that is sadistic and degenerate. They kill turtles for the same reason they kill babies. They want to.

Speak for yourself, dimwit.

Actually, I think he/she/it is correct.

There are people who kill for no other reason that to kill.

He/she/it intimates that these people exist only in the US but he/she/it is wrong. It has nothing to do with geography. Nurture or nature, some are caring, some are not.

Pretty sick. I can understand if they couldn't avoid the animal, but to purposefully run it over? If I witnessed someone do that I'd get their number plate and dob them in.

Forum List

Back