ST's BP Rantings

Cigarettes are indeed regulated and people still smoke and die as a result, government subsidies on tobacco helped this along for years also.

Tougher regulation could have prevent oil spill.

If there had not of been this tragic accident, the oil spill could be prevented too. Sad to say but SHIT HAPPENS.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is a Captain on an work boat in the Gulf of Mexico. Thirteen foot seas out of the southeast are predicted for tonight and on in to tomorrow...the oil will stay away from Florida for at least a day but Mississippi and Louisiana are fucked!!!! The finger pointing has already begun...BP says it's Trans-Oceans fault and Trans_ocean says it BP's fault. They tried to plug the hole with cement but it failed...now BP and Trans_Ocean are blaming the cement company for the spill..:lol::lol:. They have discovered several more leaks in the pipe.

Sound like it's not the fault of a single party but a systemic problem with the industry in the region

It's all going to boil down to what caused the explosion and ensuing spill. This will be tied up in litigation for at least a decade...if not longer...before blame is assigned.

That's the trouble with regulations, they are always chasing a problem that already happened...

I like how you assume that regulations never prevent accidents just because you don't hear about it on the news. Why would the news even report that? Its a non-event. "Today an accident did NOT occur..."

I like how you accuse someone of assuming about your assumption.

Can you show examples of where regulations prevented much of anything?

You can't seriously be this stupid. Do you not wear a seatbelt when driving a car ? They save lives every day .

In projection overdrive today, are we?

All I care about right now is what contribute to the explosion and spill and/or threatens to cause another disaster and can it be rectified to ensure safe drilling and exaction?

If the U.S. had required something called an "acoustic switch" to be installed on the rig, which cost a paltry $500,000 (compared to BP's billions in annual profits and the millions they are spending daily to fix their mess)

Leaking Oil Well Lacked Safeguard Device - WSJ.com

All OCS Rigs / Production Platforms wells are equiped with Blow Out Preventors and Sub Surface Safety Valves, MMS requires these devices.....

From the article: The efficacy of the devices is unclear.

Well heck, we wouldn't want to install such a device - that might work - because it might have prevented this - and we wouldn't have wanted that to have happened!

Hindsight, it's always 20/20. Even if they had installed it, there is no guarantee it would have prevented this.

BP have an excellent record, they are one of the most ethical gas companies in the world. Shit happens. That's what this is. Shit. You wanna blame somebody? Blame yourself - and every other individual who uses gas and demands low prices.

From the article: The efficacy of the devices is unclear.

Well heck, we wouldn't want to install such a device - that might work - because it might have prevented this - and we wouldn't have wanted that to have happened!

Hindsight, it's always 20/20. Even if they had installed it, there is no guarantee it would have prevented this.

BP have an excellent record, they are one of the most ethical gas companies in the world. Shit happens. That's what this is. Shit. You wanna blame somebody? Blame yourself - and every other individual who uses gas and demands low prices.

One word...whoops.

What about regulations that are in place?

The rig was supposedly inspected weeks ago.

Again, the Feds had their heads up their asses.

Probably the same guys that hired the SEC to Watch Wallstreet, and hired the FBI/CIA to watch Arabs boarding planes in Boston, and hired the Corps of Engineers to build levys around New Orleans.

When are we gonna hire an Executive Administrator that knows WTF he's doing?

Can you show examples of where regulations prevented much of anything?

You can't seriously be this stupid. Do you not wear a seatbelt when driving a car ? They save lives every day .

My grandfather survived a car accident because he did not have his seat belt on.

See, I think a seat belt should be a personal choice, just like motorcycle helmets, I'm sure the OP thinks I'm stupid for thinking that though.:lol:

Sound like it's not the fault of a single party but a systemic problem with the industry in the region

It's all going to boil down to what caused the explosion and ensuing spill. This will be tied up in litigation for at least a decade...if not longer...before blame is assigned.

Clearly we need to regulate explosions. The darn things cause cave-ins in mines and potentially multiple breaks in oil well pipe casings. Implosions are tricky too.

The rig that caught fire would have cost a ton of money to build and would have had monitoring equipment way beyond what any regulations would require . Last January , McMoran Exploration Co . made a huge natural gas discovery in 20 feet of water 10 miles off the coast of Louisiana , something in the neighborhood of 2 trillion cubic feet . They made the discovery by drilling deeper than they used to back in the heyday of shallow water Gulf oil exploration . There's speculation that at the deeper depths there might be more oil and gas in the shallow water fields than has been produced there to date , and that the discovery by McMoran might start another oil boom . Guess that's not going to happen now . Funny this rig blows right after this huge discovery and nobody knows why . I think the feds blew it up . 10 years ago I would have thought somebody a nut for making a statement like that . But look at our industry in America , Federal regulation has either played a significant roll in the demise of many of our industries , or been the outright cause .

If the U.S. had required something called an "acoustic switch" to be installed on the rig, which cost a paltry $500,000 (compared to BP's billions in annual profits and the millions they are spending daily to fix their mess)

Leaking Oil Well Lacked Safeguard Device - WSJ.com

ROFLMNAO... When BP gets the bill for this spill, I suspect that they'll tend to their 'safety devices'...

Ya see that's how Capitalism works... IF BP was criminally negligent in their operation of that Well, then BP will pay the price for doing so...

IF that breaks BP, then BP will be broken; selling off it's assets to others who had the good fortune to be standing next to the idiot that the failure exploded on, providing them the opportunity to improve their production standards and reduce their extensive liability.

Depends how many different ways the right and left think they can blame the other Amanda. Also, the conspiracy crowd seems to want in.

Well, there will THOUSANDS of such threads on this... as the LEFT tries to use this as a means to control energy production, thus socializing the means of industry...

Of which there will be THOUSANDS of Leftist position refuted, discredited and otherwise exposed as invalid Progressive, anti-American drivel.

Forum List

Back