stones in glass houses

Discussion in 'Europe' started by DKSuddeth, Nov 23, 2003.

1. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    For a long time I've listened to all the anti french propaganda about how they need to be reminded about who saved their collective asses in WW2 and so forth but I have a question for all those who seem to think that this kind of stance is ok.

How do americans feel NOW about what their government did to the native americans after the many times that the native americans saved THEIR collective asses?

2. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    One happened in our lifetime and one hasn't. Wanna guess which one?

3. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    most young people weren't alive during WW2 yet it still comes up.

is that how we base our political stances and viewpoints? On who and when we were alive?

It is convenient for alot of people to dismiss the negative things because they weren't alive then, does that mean it didn't happen?

slavery was abolished long before most of us were alive yet we still consider it a black mark on our history (no pun intended) and yet there are still some out there that think WE shouldn't have to be made to pay for our ancestors mistaken paths but isn't that what we are doing to france with the current stance?

If WE don't want to be reminded of our history then why do we remind others?

4. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Personally, I could care less if people remind me about things that have happened hundreds of years ago, it's inconsequential to me. The issues with France are fairly current.

What happened many, many years ago in the USA was wrong, no denying that. People will tend to gripe about current issues though. I don't think anyone is ignoring our countries past.

5. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    so using that ideology, we can assume that those who weren't alive during the vietnam war don't need to concern themselves with things like the pentagon papers or watergate, since it didn't happen in their lifetime?

or do we need to define a period of time where political and governmental history can be discounted because it was 'so long ago'?

If you consider the issues with france as relatively current, are you referring to WW2?

wheres the cutoff, whats the time limit?

6. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Who discounted anything? I CLEARLY said that people tend to gripe about current issues. That doesn't mean that they don't think things that happened in the past aren't deplorable.

No cutoff, no time limit. Feel free to make posts about things that happened 50+ years ago, I'm sure most would agree if you bring up things that were wrong about our government. You're jumping to conclusions about things that heven't been discussed.

7. Batamo

Batamo Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    For me, the difference between the French and American examples as DK has outlined is that
    I at least am not really asking much from the French, other than a little respect. The fact that they seem to gear their foreign policy on the sole factor of them wanting to disagree with the US is suspect to me. Asking THIS GENERATION to pay native american's for wrongs committed by another is different. Respect doesn't cost much. Millions of dollars... well does.

Not to cross topics with other messageboards, but it seems that people have a hard time swallowing wrongs/deficiencies/mistakes by many parts of the world, yet have no problem highlighting those made by the USA. I can even respect a failure to see any mistakes over the selective observations that many people make (I'm not singling you out DK)

8. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Batamo, no problem. I didn't feel singled out =)

I feel my point is being missed though.

We all are not perfect. The french, the germans, the britans, canadians, and us as well as others. Its been my experience that those currently bashing the french for not supporting us use the example of WW2, WW1, and others yet these very same people will refuse to consider that they don't truly have a leg to stand on because their very own country turned on the natives that supported them against the french and canadians in another war. To me it seems hypocritical to use those examples against another yet disavow that their country is also guilty of it in the past.

9. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    And my point remains the same. I speak out against the French for what transpired at the UN and their stance to veto resolutions before even viewing them. I don't use the past. I don't expect them to make proper decisions based on what we've done in the past. I expect them to make proper decisions, period. They deserve all the heat they are getting for that decision in my opinion, and nothing the USA might have done in the past will change or make a difference in that.

10. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    a 'do as i say, not as i do' type of action?

forgive me, but that seems pretty arrogant.