Stocking up on non perishable food for a SHTF situation.

Water shouldnt be an issue with the pool water and the 15 five gallon jugs of Ozarka.
The 6 month supply needs 85 gallons of water to prepare. The biggest issue would be fuel to cook with if things go totally tits up.
Thinking of picking up 10 propane tanks which should last a long time if all you're doing is heating water.
a rocket stove would be more economical and only uses a few twigs.

yeah but better quality imo
Something weird i ordered last year : Ice cream sandwiches. And they were awesome! Well considering... lol
If they were the Astronaut Foods Freeze-Dried Ice Cream Sandwich I agree they were better than I thought they would be.

1645053350728.jpeg

Before buying any emergency storage food be sure to read the reviews on them. Some are not very good. Mountian House usually get good reviews. Patriot Supply usually not so good.

Be careful of MREs. The shelf life of some of the components can be much shorter than you think. More like four years than 20.

I do a little survival prepping living in hurricane prone Florida. I keep a lot of can and dry food on hand and some Mountain House meals. Enough for a couple of months.

Rice, stored in airtight containers --- fill with dry ice first --- will last decades
Same with sugars, syrups, jams etc
Oils -- in dark bottles, in a cool place will last at least a year --- before going rancid
Canned butter lasts years
Unmilled Wheat, Rye, Corn, etc in airtight containers --- fill with dry ice first -- will last decades
Pressed Oats.
UHT milk will last at LEAST 6 months
Teas, coffees, stored in airtight containers will last at least a year.

You don't need yeast because sourdough starter can be made from the yeast in the atmosphere

Eggs is the hardest thing to store -- but, powdered eggs are fine for cooking (just kind of vile to eat plain).

The reason for the dry ice is to fill the container up with CO2 when to displace O2 in the container. Note, almost all grains contain some insect eggs that, when hatched, will grow fat on the grain with which they are stored and give you a huge surprise when you open the container.

Canned fruits and vegs, and meats last years.

Buy enough for (minimum) 3 months spare ... then continue shopping your regular schedule, rotating out storage and replacing with new.

Before buying any emergency storage food be sure to read the reviews on them. Some are not very good. Mountian House usually get good reviews. Patriot Supply usually not so good.

Be careful of MREs. There shelf life of some of the components is usually much shorter than you think. More like four years than 20.

I do a little survival prepping living in hurricane prone Florida. I keep a lot of can and dry food on hand and some Mountain House meals. Enough for a couple of months.

Living on the Gulf coast ya have to prepare.
Although it isnt likely to be a long term issue and what we have in the pantry should be more than enough.

Be careful of MREs. The shelf life of some of the components can be much shorter than you think. More like four years than 20.

Mountain house is good but pricy ...I have some mountain house also

I've tried the Mountain home stuff and wasnt impressed.

True.
But ya still have to start that fire. Not only that burning wood attracts attention where propane has no smell.
The design of a rocket stove makes for secondary combustion and no smoke. It is a very efficient stove and far easier to pack around than ten propane cylinders. Fuel doesn't have to be large either. They are very effective.

Stuff that stores a long time but will make your stored rations much more appealing ...

Raisins
Fennel Seeds (any seeds, actually)
Vanilla extract
Bicarb Soda and Baking Powder
Cinnamon

Which is why I'm looking for a package deal.
The Wife and I are unlikely to live longer than the shelf life which is 25 years.

If money is no object and you don't care about taste ... by all means, buy Mountain House.

Forum List

Back