States kick grandma to the curb

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
States kick grandma to the curb

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- For the elderly, state budget cuts could mean no more daily hot meals and exercise classes to help prevent falls. At worst, some could even lose their beds at the nursing home.

These and other lifelines for seniors may disappear as governors and lawmakers slash spending to close an estimated $112 billion in budget shortfalls, advocates say.

Many state officials say they don't want to reduce senior services, but they have little choice due to massive deficits. But it's not all bad news. The funding for one senior program in Georgia was restored after legislators agreed the service was too important to cut.

Here's a look at what's at risk for many of the nation's elderly.

Senior citizens bear brunt of state budget cuts - Mar. 14, 2011

A shame. I hear in Honduras they don't have senior services also. Let's hope we don't make it that far down the tube.

Regardless if it can't be afforded it can't be afforded.

I am old enough to remember when there were precious few nursing homes. The old and infirm were kept at home and loved and nurtured as well as they could by family members. Because there were usually many hands to help, this was not seen as a burden but as part of the family cycle. Yes, I know, times change and society changes and that was then and this was now. But it is possible to manage these things without government programs, and it's likely we're going to have to learn to do that again.

Crazy idea. Maybe children and grandchildren can take care of grandma. Or better yet, maybe she could get a job and continue to contribute to society with her knowledge and detailed experience she developed throughout her life.

I find the idea that the government should be obligated to take care of me when i get older insulting. Even more insulting that I can't contribute to society.

Crazy idea. Maybe children and grandchildren can take care of grandma. Or better yet, maybe she could get a job and continue to contribute to society with her knowledge and detailed experience she developed throughout her life.

I find the idea that the government should be obligated to take care of me when i get older insulting. Even more insulting that I can't contribute to society.

Generally..it the third world..that's sort of what happens..but in different ways depending on the wealth of the family. But if they become to much of a burden..sometimes "nature" takes it's course.:eusa_shhh:

• Banned

One of the senior center's that might be defunded has a program that involves keeping the elderly independant and socially active instead of isolated. In the long run this also keeps them out of nursing homes. A lot of these seniors have paid their taxes every year...so why shouldn't they benefit from them now that they are able to?

Ultimately being cared for by family might be better...but what if your family isn't physically or financially capable?? Or what if you don't have any living relatives??

• Banned
I am old enough to remember when there were precious few nursing homes. The old and infirm were kept at home and loved and nurtured as well as they could by family members. Because there were usually many hands to help, this was not seen as a burden but as part of the family cycle. Yes, I know, times change and society changes and that was then and this was now. But it is possible to manage these things without government programs, and it's likely we're going to have to learn to do that again.
A lot of these facilities do rely on public donations as well as government funding. If they can't raise enough money via donations they will just charge higher rates on the patrons. The ones who can't afford it will have to find another home (if they can).

Last edited:
I am old enough to remember when there were precious few nursing homes. The old and infirm were kept at home and loved and nurtured as well as they could by family members. Because there were usually many hands to help, this was not seen as a burden but as part of the family cycle. Yes, I know, times change and society changes and that was then and this was now. But it is possible to manage these things without government programs, and it's likely we're going to have to learn to do that again.[/QUOTE]

A lot of these facilities do rely on public donations as well as government funding. If they can't raise enough money via donations they will just charge higher rates on the patrons. The ones who can't afford it will have to find another home (if they can).

I know after having numerous relatives who have been in such facilities and I am involved in a ministry here in Albuquerque where we provide Sunday worship services to such a facility and also visitation services focusing on residents who receive few or no visitors otherwise. I know very well that some people have nobody to care for them. In many cases, however, it has become the cultural norm to ship mom or dad or granny off a nursing home rather than convince the family to pitch in and care for him or her at home. I believe those who ARE at home probably stay active and involved longer than do those in nursing homes.

I also head up a ministry that provides monthly luncheons, occasional outings, and other activities for seniors, and we had the Silver Sneakers set up to provide exercise classes but that fell through so we're working on something else now. Those kinds of programs, incidental to a regular gym, are very well attended locally here and would probably be affordable if they weren't covered by a Medicare Advantage Program. The Advantage programs are probably going bye bye anyway if Obamacare is actually implemented.

All this is to say that the government does not have to do this stuff. If it is important enough to people they will find a way to provide the service. If it isn't important enough, the government shouldn't be doing it anyway. Cultural norms can change to meet needs as necessary.

• Banned
We are talking about around 45,000 senior's in TX alone potentially being without a place to live....and that doesn't include the other programs and living facilities being cut throughout the country either. Not all church groups have programs to accomodate the elderly,especially that many... even so,they would still have to be funded and find volunteers. There may be some privately funded programs like the United Way...but they still have to rely on public donations to keep the programs going...and if they don't have the money,seniors are in the same situation. Not all seniors have family that can care for them...that might be a better choice, but that still doesn't mean it's an option for all of them.

Last edited:
We are talking about around 45,000 senior's in TX alone potentially being without a place to live....and that doesn't include the other programs and living facilities being cut throughout the country either. Not all church groups have programs to accomodate the elderly,especially that many... even so,they would still have to be funded and find volunteers. There may be some privately funded programs like the United Way...but they still have to rely on public donations to keep the programs going...and if they don't have the money,seniors are in the same situation. Not all seniors have family that can care for them...that might be a better choice, but that still doesn't mean it's an option for all of them.

All the nursing homes won't fold.

The point I'm making is that if there is no government money, there is no government money to fund everything we see as important. So we, as a society, may need to rethink how to get things done instead of assuming the government is always going to be able to do it. And that may be going back to a culture and mindset that existed before there WERE all the government programs. More churches and other private charities may have to step up. People may have to realize that the family will have to take care of Grandma.

All I'm saying is that Americans have always been resourceful and have always met whatever need existed. They'll continue to do so.

No, all of them won't...out of the 1000 in TX only 850 would...that's 45,000 patrons with no place to live.

My point is...these facilities already recieve private donations and the elderly pay for their accomodations (they aren't getting a free ride). The facilities lose money on medicare patients...they can't afford a cut in government funding. So...if the public donations aren't there...patrons can't pay more due to a fixed income...then what??

Last edited:
No, all of them won't...out of the 1000 in TX only 850 would...that's 45,000 patrons with no place to live.

My point is...these facilities already recieve private donations and the elderly pay for their accomodations (they aren't getting a free ride). The facilities lose money on medicare patients...they can't afford a cut in government funding. So...if the public donations aren't there...patrons can't pay more due to a fixed income...then what??

Dunno. Would have to be there on the brain storming session that would no doubt occur to deal with the problem. But there is a solution that decent people can live with. There always is. It won't be easy after decades of Americans becoming more and more dependent on government to do what the people themselves had done before. But we've hit the tipping point where we cannot continue to accumulate more and more government debt trying to everything and be all things to all people. We're going to have to learn how to get it done differently. And we will.

How?

How?

Please read the thread Flopper and if I haven't been specific enough get back to me. I really don't want to retype all that stuff again. It's still a pretty short thread.

As Foxfyre said, times and society has changed. It's hard to believe that we have so many people that never even visit their parents in a nursing home. I have a friend in a nursing home that get's a visit from her kids at Christmas each year. That's it. She lived her life for those kids and now she's just waiting to die. It's a pretty sad comment on our society.

How?

I think we are just supposed to "hope" someone else steps up to the plate...if not... tough shit. :lol:

How?

I think we are just supposed to "hope" someone else steps up to the plate...if not... tough shit. :lol:

I think we're supposed to see and respond to needs as we see them instead of hoping somebody else will do it so we don't have to.

Not for me. I'm hands on working with the problem. I hope others will join me as there is additional need for more hands working with the problem.

Forum List

Back