States kick grandma to the curb

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Shadow, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    States kick grandma to the curb

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- For the elderly, state budget cuts could mean no more daily hot meals and exercise classes to help prevent falls. At worst, some could even lose their beds at the nursing home.

These and other lifelines for seniors may disappear as governors and lawmakers slash spending to close an estimated $112 billion in budget shortfalls, advocates say.

Many state officials say they don't want to reduce senior services, but they have little choice due to massive deficits. But it's not all bad news. The funding for one senior program in Georgia was restored after legislators agreed the service was too important to cut.

Here's a look at what's at risk for many of the nation's elderly.

Senior citizens bear brunt of state budget cuts - Mar. 14, 2011

2. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +355
    A shame. I hear in Honduras they don't have senior services also. Let's hope we don't make it that far down the tube.

Regardless if it can't be afforded it can't be afforded.

3. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,414
    I am old enough to remember when there were precious few nursing homes. The old and infirm were kept at home and loved and nurtured as well as they could by family members. Because there were usually many hands to help, this was not seen as a burden but as part of the family cycle. Yes, I know, times change and society changes and that was then and this was now. But it is possible to manage these things without government programs, and it's likely we're going to have to learn to do that again.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,187
    Crazy idea. Maybe children and grandchildren can take care of grandma. Or better yet, maybe she could get a job and continue to contribute to society with her knowledge and detailed experience she developed throughout her life.

I find the idea that the government should be obligated to take care of me when i get older insulting. Even more insulting that I can't contribute to society.

5. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Generally..it the third world..that's sort of what happens..but in different ways depending on the wealth of the family. But if they become to much of a burden..sometimes "nature" takes it's course.:eusa_shhh:

6. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    One of the senior center's that might be defunded has a program that involves keeping the elderly independant and socially active instead of isolated. In the long run this also keeps them out of nursing homes. A lot of these seniors have paid their taxes every year...so why shouldn't they benefit from them now that they are able to?

Ultimately being cared for by family might be better...but what if your family isn't physically or financially capable?? Or what if you don't have any living relatives??

7. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  8. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,414

9. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    We are talking about around 45,000 senior's in TX alone potentially being without a place to live....and that doesn't include the other programs and living facilities being cut throughout the country either. Not all church groups have programs to accomodate the elderly,especially that many... even so,they would still have to be funded and find volunteers. There may be some privately funded programs like the United Way...but they still have to rely on public donations to keep the programs going...and if they don't have the money,seniors are in the same situation. Not all seniors have family that can care for them...that might be a better choice, but that still doesn't mean it's an option for all of them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  10. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,414
    All the nursing homes won't fold.

The point I'm making is that if there is no government money, there is no government money to fund everything we see as important. So we, as a society, may need to rethink how to get things done instead of assuming the government is always going to be able to do it. And that may be going back to a culture and mindset that existed before there WERE all the government programs. More churches and other private charities may have to step up. People may have to realize that the family will have to take care of Grandma.

All I'm saying is that Americans have always been resourceful and have always met whatever need existed. They'll continue to do so.