State police seek arrest warrant on judge

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
...that refused to sign arrest warrant.

What
The
Fuck?

Here’s the lowdown, from the two meager paywall inhibited articles that I could find. State Trooper from Salisbury, CT (where watching paint dry is exciting) Mark Lauretano apparently submitted an arrest warrant for a man who got into a bar fight with someone else. The “victim” of the fight (meaning the guy who got beaten up worse), was obviously not arrested, as these things go. Judge Klatt, upon reviewing the information in the warrant declined to sign it, apparently until the “victim” was also arrested.
Judge Klatt, a former prosecutor from Death Valley Waterbury, CT, should have known better. You simply do not refuse the State Police what they want. So instead of, I don’t know, reviewing the information again to see if maybe the Judge had a point, Lauretano does the logical thing and is now seeking an arrest warrant for the Judge herself*.
Because, you know – no, actually I don’t know. He claims that:
The fact that Judge Klatt is currently holding onto a valid arrest warrant for the accused and refusing to sign it until and unless she receives an arrest warrant for the victim is coercion and a violation of criminal law.
Actually, I prefer to call it “not engaging in selective prosecution”.

http://apublicdefender.com/2011/03/...est-judge-who-refused-to-sign-arrest-warrant/

...that refused to sign arrest warrant.

What
The
Fuck?

Here’s the lowdown, from the two meager paywall inhibited articles that I could find. State Trooper from Salisbury, CT (where watching paint dry is exciting) Mark Lauretano apparently submitted an arrest warrant for a man who got into a bar fight with someone else. The “victim” of the fight (meaning the guy who got beaten up worse), was obviously not arrested, as these things go. Judge Klatt, upon reviewing the information in the warrant declined to sign it, apparently until the “victim” was also arrested.
Judge Klatt, a former prosecutor from Death Valley Waterbury, CT, should have known better. You simply do not refuse the State Police what they want. So instead of, I don’t know, reviewing the information again to see if maybe the Judge had a point, Lauretano does the logical thing and is now seeking an arrest warrant for the Judge herself*.
Because, you know – no, actually I don’t know. He claims that:
The fact that Judge Klatt is currently holding onto a valid arrest warrant for the accused and refusing to sign it until and unless she receives an arrest warrant for the victim is coercion and a violation of criminal law.
Actually, I prefer to call it “not engaging in selective prosecution”.

State police want to arrest judge who refused to sign arrest warrant

Wow...when the Founders called the Judicial the most despotic branch...they knew what they were saying.

The story ain't right. State Police officers don't write arrest warrants and hand them to a judge. The case has to go through the prosecutor's office or the District Attorney and they submit the case to the Judge.

The story ain't right. State Police officers don't write arrest warrants and hand them to a judge. The case has to go through the prosecutor's office or the District Attorney and they submit the case to the Judge.

Most DAs do not get involved until after an arrest, especially when the triggering case is a simple assault. You really need to read up on procedures.

Most DAs do not get involved until after an arrest, especially when the triggering case is a simple assault. You really need to read up on procedures.

Since when do the police sign arrest warrants?
You are correct about misdemeanor cases. They never go to the DAs office. They only handle felonies. Police write accusations at will in those matters.

Since when do the police sign arrest warrants?
You are correct about misdemeanor cases. They never go to the DAs office. They only handle felonies. Police write accusations at will in those matters.

Did you read the story?

They filed the complaint because the judge refused to sign an arrest warrant.

Forum List

Back