Start Cutting, At Least Get Issue On Table!

"Just because it's in your best interest"...does not cut it any longer.

When those in government tell us 'it's in our best interest', run. Time and again the American people have demonstrated they are willing to sacrifice for others, here and abroad. The government? Not so much. Those in government work for themselves and the special interests they are slaves to, be it business, unions, or their own special interests.

Not every one is corrupt, but the very culture of Washington seems corrupting. It's up to all of us to point out when those already part of that culture, seem intent on keeping it. That's what I'm seeing in today's Demint, as opposed to his pronouncements just prior to Nov. 2.

Sure. Now that the GOP has the House? Time to go back to ops normal...why not? [Wrong answer to be sure], and it tells me that he just doesn't get it. The people didn't buy him or the GOP a 'Buffer' for business as usual, but rather a mandate to begin the process of getting the monster known as Federal Government under control.

This is a process that will take decades to muddle through. And those that stay on the target of the mandate will remain there as long as their focus of accountability to the people is mantained.

We certainly didn't get here overnight...and realistically? It will take longer to undo. Patience, vigilance are the watchwords.

I am reminded of the movie 'Patton' where Patton fired a Lt. Colonel for not advancing as he was instructed to do. Patton then promoted a Major and told him that ..."if you fail to get up there I'll fire your ass too..." [Paraphrasing].

We should when it comes to government accountability be as General Patton was to those officers...Fire their asses if they fail.

Dept. of Education would make an excellent start...and it will have the side benefit of improving education for our children.

Dept. of Education would make an excellent start...and it will have the side benefit of improving education for our children.

The DOE is nothing but a bureaucracy that directs money at the behest of [and controlled by in my view] by the Unions. They educate no one.

That power should always remain in the perview of the State and Local governments.

Yep, along with Energy, Homeland Security (or get rid of crossover with Justice Dept), and HUD.

Whatever useful functions they may serve, put under existing departments.

yes well, they are swearing the newbies in tomorrow. and starting the lame duck session. I would not expect much till jan. I posted somewhere here a list of what the deficit council heads see as areas to be cut, recommendations etc. by the comm. chairs Simpson and Bowles.....anyway, nancy and her apparatchiks have already said its dead on arrival.
Simpson and Bowles are looking for 30 years of this, no thanks. Statements like Demint's and McConnell's are the opening salvos of the political class with (R) after their names. Once again, no thanks. One way or another real change has to happen, it won't be lead by the political elites of either party, it's against their self-interests.

?? some of their suggestions are based on long range solvency for SS, medicare etc. sure.

they have suggested others cut that take place in the next fiscals year(s).

I do agree that a 10% cut now across the board no one being spared should take place. expansion of the gov. and what it funds has galloped ahead of pop. growth and inflation and yes even prgms that have an index for inflation wind up getting special treatment and goddies...this has got to stop.

Yep, along with Energy, Homeland Security (or get rid of crossover with Justice Dept), and HUD.

Whatever useful functions they may serve, put under existing departments.

Consolidation. Duplicate functions eliminated.

depends on what is being subsidied there....i am all for funding the arts...which seems to be a sore subject for conservatives...i am a social liberal and fiscal conservative which finds me being yelled at ...'how are you going to pay for all the feel good programs'? blah blah fucking blah...i will tell you how...we dont need one of the largest standing armies....we dont need to import all the finished products..why export raw materials and then buy them back as a finished product? why not rebuild the textiles and manufactoring jobs...i have a lot of whys....i have very few answers...its hard to think about draining the swamp when you are up to your ass in gators

Fund them privately, make the contributions tax deductible. If we can't agree on what Art is, or what art is appropriate, we shouldn't be funding it against our will.

Start cutting with government employees. Cut the number, cut their salaries, and cut their benefits and that includes the people in congress.

That should include their Assistant's, assistant's assistant too. ;)

DOD Workers should all be either Ex-Military, or put through the equivalent of Boot Camp.

State Department should have the choice of working for the CIA, or We give them their own Island to live on, under Their own Flag. They can compete in the Olympics separate from the USA, as it should be.

depends on what is being subsidied there....i am all for funding the arts...which seems to be a sore subject for conservatives...i am a social liberal and fiscal conservative which finds me being yelled at ...'how are you going to pay for all the feel good programs'? blah blah fucking blah...i will tell you how...we dont need one of the largest standing armies....we dont need to import all the finished products..why export raw materials and then buy them back as a finished product? why not rebuild the textiles and manufactoring jobs...i have a lot of whys....i have very few answers...its hard to think about draining the swamp when you are up to your ass in gators

Fund them privately, make the contributions tax deductible. If we can't agree on what Art is, or what art is appropriate, we shouldn't be funding it against our will.

Wouldn't funding the ARTS be a local issue as well?

I think everyone should keep in mind Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution as it relates to Congressional authority that has been overstepped.

The closer to that goal and other measure will firmly wrest control back to the people where it belongs. Federal power was supposed to be limited, and that of the States and the people larger in proportion.

Wouldn't funding the ARTS be a local issue as well?

I think everyone should keep in mind Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution as it relates to Congressional authority that has been overstepped.

The closer to that goal and other measure will firmly wrest control back to the people where it belongs. Federal power was supposed to be limited, and that of the States and the people larger in proportion.

Yes, it is called Federalism. I doubt if the kid's today were polled on the word and it's meaning, it would poll lower than what they know about condoms.

Why should we fund the "Arts"? If your artwork is good, you will be able to sell it therefore make a living doing what your passion is. If you are good at anything involving the arts then you should have no problem. I work in the arts and have never expected the govt to help me get work or make money. Why should the govt be involved in selling someone's bad work. They don't do it for most any other ventures.

Forum List

Back