Staff

upload_2017-11-9_23-30-9.jpeg

Citizenship award????? I must be a very bad person. So much for that case of scotch I was going to hand out to the mods at Christmas.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Probably why we are still around. I'll put our simple postcard rules up against ANY other board.

It's also the members' responsibility. To know when to quit when it gets to be about personal stuff or another topic. It's that annoying common courtesy thingy. There is an annual Award for Good Citzenship on USMB. Don't you have 3 or 4 of those? :biggrin:

Some of the best threads end up being "down there". Threads only "end up" in Badlands or FZ because there's still conversation going on. Might not be "on-topic" anymore, or maybe it NEEDS to get personal, but people are still communicating. The preference is to just close failed threads in place. NOT move them so that the troll armies can abuse them..

My observation on one of those other boards are first free speech is not first and foremost. Also the mods administer rules which are very subjective, for example if they find you have been insulting to another poster. That insulting seems to have more latitude for some than others. Specifically, if you are a senior liberal yo are going to be able to cry foul and ding a conservative noob.

Probably why we are still around. I'll put our simple postcard rules up against ANY other board.

It's also the members' responsibility. To know when to quit when it gets to be about personal stuff or another topic. It's that annoying common courtesy thingy. There is an annual Award for Good Citzenship on USMB. Don't you have 3 or 4 of those? :biggrin:

Some of the best threads end up being "down there". Threads only "end up" in Badlands or FZ because there's still conversation going on. Might not be "on-topic" anymore, or maybe it NEEDS to get personal, but people are still communicating. The preference is to just close failed threads in place. NOT move them so that the troll armies can abuse them..

My observation on one of those other boards are first free speech is not first and foremost. Also the mods administer rules which are very subjective, for example if they find you have been insulting to another poster. That insulting seems to have more latitude for some than others. Specifically, if you are a senior liberal yo are going to be able to cry foul and ding a conservative noob.

Exactly. That's why I came here. The smaller boards are very "cliquey". They don't like new people of any persuasion. And the rules here at USMB leave very little to Mod discretion. It's all about respecting the topic and not allowing posts or patterns of posting without topical content or personal brawls. Brawls always have folks from opposing sides violating the rules. It's completely simple to cooperate or moderate.

We need to work harder to be more "welcoming" to new members. Especially in "Introduce Yourself". Large numbers of folks are mugged and scared off before their 3rd post. They need to show their own "style" before judgements are made.

We need to work harder to be more "welcoming" to new members. Especially in "Introduce Yourself". Large numbers of folks are mugged and scared off before their 3rd post. They need to show their own "style" before judgements are made.

That's why I bypassed the introduction part and just dove in, head first, without checking the depth!

I came here from a small regional 'special interest' board, friendly people mostly, good moderation much stricter than here - admin decided politics had become too distasteful. Anyway - this is a far bigger place than I'm used to - but I'm finding my way - slowly. I'm thinkin' a couple of my former fellow posters may have landed here also.

Foxfyre noticed right away that I was a newbie - she was very welcoming - and for that I thank her. And you sainted mods - you're worth every penny of your salary, deserve a raise you do. :laugh2:

On a heavier note - only have one other forum to compare - but I think you all do a thankless job quite well.

Forum List

Back