Spy Tech: 10 CIA-Backed Investments

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
-- Information Week @ War News Updates

Check out some of the latest technologies to win funding from In-Q-Tel, the venture investment arm of the CIA and other intelligence agencies. That's the first step toward use by agents and analysts.

From DNA Analysis To Wearable Videocams

01_extra_full.jpg

Remember the Semi-Submersible, the Digital X-Ray Detector Panel, or the Dragonfly Insectothopter? They're artifacts in the CIA museum, a collection of spy gadgets, weapons, and memorabilia that goes back 100 years.

U.S. intelligence agencies have long depended on research and development in new technologies to support their surveillance work and analysis. Today's spy gear in many cases is surprisingly accessible. In-Q-Tel, the venture investment arm of the CIA and other intelligence agencies, regularly backs companies whose products are commercially available, including some consumer technologies.

Read more ....Spy Tech: 10 CIA-Backed Investments -- InformationWeek

My Comment: A very impressive list. :cool:

Check out some of the latest technologies to win funding from In-Q-Tel, the venture investment arm of the CIA and other intelligence agencies. That's the first step toward use by agents and analysts.

01_extra_full.jpg

Remember the Semi-Submersible, the Digital X-Ray Detector Panel, or the Dragonfly Insectothopter? They're artifacts in the CIA museum, a collection of spy gadgets, weapons, and memorabilia that goes back 100 years.

U.S. intelligence agencies have long depended on research and development in new technologies to support their surveillance work and analysis. Today's spy gear in many cases is surprisingly accessible. In-Q-Tel, the venture investment arm of the CIA and other intelligence agencies, regularly backs companies whose products are commercially available, including some consumer technologies.

I think everyone one of those have real world uses. Of course those are probably the 10 that have real world uses and not the 100 investments that have no real purpose but costs millions. Cool all the same.

Emptystep,

Technology is advanced with 1 success for many failures. Understand that it is worth it to get that advance.

who knows that advance could be a cure for cancer? Heart disease? warp drive??? Who knows.

Holy shit. Does the same go for green tech?

01_extra_full.jpg

Though a techie and strongly believe in technological advancement, I am however very uncomfortable with government spending billions allover the world to spy on people.

The US has hi-tech spying devices in Hawaii (infuriating native Hawaiians), and in several other places around the world. Who, by the way, is the US government always spying on?

The last I checked, most crooks and hardcore criminals are within the US government. Thus, why spend all these billions worldwide in spying?

Forum List

Back