Specs for the ev that recently did 372 miles on one charge

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
If any of this is half true, it totally changes the game for EVs. There is a good deal of infromation in this site. If all the claims are accurate, there is no reason that we cannot begin to build practical evs right now using these batteries. A Leaf using these batteries would have a range of 400 miles on one charge.

Lithium Metal Polymer Battery from DBM Energy - Secret of The World Record With Electric Car Revealed - Business Exchange

Audi A2 DBM Specifications
Empty weight: 2,620 pounds <-- That is a light aluminum car with a battery big enough for a 375 mile AER trip!

Battery Detail: Li-Fe-Poly (260 Ah/380 V) cell voltage of 3.8 volts <-- 100 kWh pack?

Battery weight: 660 pounds <-- More than likely 120 kWh at a .2 kWh/mile minimum from just 660 pounds? Yet another game changing "Super Battery" Spec.

Charging Time Average: Approximately 4 hours for 70-miles AER at maximum V and Current from a European household circuit.

Charging Time Minimum: 6 minutes (a future solution) <-- Got a Coal or Nuke Plant nearby that you can tap into its 345 kV AC through a rectified super DC circuit? In addition, a charge rate that high leads to a discharge rate of enormous proportions. How much HP you want is only limited by the size and current capability of the electric motor you want to install and the Inverter and BUS' current limited capacity. That is if you use an A/C motor ;)

Battery Cycle Limit: Life Time of 2500 full charge cycles with no loss of capacity! <-- Yet another game changing "Super Battery" Spec.

Battery Service Life Target: 300,000 miles <-- Jesus H. ...

Top speed: 99 mph

Transmission: 5-speed MT

Motor Torque: 230 lb-ft.

This was a car designed for an ICE and retrofitted to an EV. Consider the possibilites if you were to design it as an EV from the git-go. Hub motors, for instance. And consider the possibilities for retrofit of utility vehicles such as large vans and pickups.

Damn, I hope there claims are all accurate.

I've been saying this for sometime now, the battery capacity is what will make electric cars a viable alternative.

I differ with the articles assertion that Li-Poly batteries will last for 20 years though. I use Li-Poly exclusively on my R/C model airplanes and yes, they are strong and consistent but they don't last beyond 2-3 years or 100-200 recharge cycles. 20 years? You'll win the lottery before that happens.

The batteries in my planes, as well as those cars in the article, are wired in series to increase voltage, then in parallel to increase amperage. It only takes one cell to degrade (and they do) to affect the output of the entire battery pack. It's easy for me to take one of my airplanes packs apart and replace a damaged cell in a pack, but that's beyond the ability of 99.99 percent of your average shade tree mechanic. And I wouldn't recommend it anyway.

Plus, do a little YouTube search about Li-Poly battery fires. A small models' battery pack is bad enough but you can imagine what a 600 lb Li-Poly battery pack would be like a small nuclear device.

I've been saying this for sometime now, the battery capacity is what will make electric cars a viable alternative.

I differ with the articles assertion that Li-Poly batteries will last for 20 years though. I use Li-Poly exclusively on my R/C model airplanes and yes, they are strong and consistent but they don't last beyond 2-3 years or 100-200 recharge cycles. 20 years? You'll win the lottery before that happens.

The batteries in my planes, as well as those cars in the article, are wired in series to increase voltage, then in parallel to increase amperage. It only takes one cell to degrade (and they do) to affect the output of the entire battery pack. It's easy for me to take one of my airplanes packs apart and replace a damaged cell in a pack, but that's beyond the ability of 99.99 percent of your average shade tree mechanic. And I wouldn't recommend it anyway.

Plus, do a little YouTube search about Li-Poly battery fires. A small models' battery pack is bad enough but you can imagine what a 600 lb Li-Poly battery pack would be like a small nuclear device.

DMB claims that these batteries have solved those problems. What is needed now is an independent assessment of the batteries. I cannot tell you if the claims have any validity. Only that they have made the claims, and backed up the initial ones with that trip made from Munich to Berlin. At night, with the lights and heater on, by the way.

Again, I continue to look for such an assessment. And I hope that their claims are correct.

With the claimed energy density, it will take a lot less batteries for the same amount of kwh's. DBM Energy also claims they can build these batteries cheaper than the present Lithium Ion batteries, and cheaper yet as the economics of mass manufacturing kick in.

So, yes, if all their claims are true, the employees could afford an EV once the mass manufacturing started.

With the claimed energy density, it will take a lot less batteries for the same amount of kwh's. DBM Energy also claims they can build these batteries cheaper than the present Lithium Ion batteries, and cheaper yet as the economics of mass manufacturing kick in.

So, yes, if all their claims are true, the employees could afford an EV once the mass manufacturing started.

I'm going to pray that the claims are true.

Li-Ion and Li-Poly batteries require different chargers than led-acid batteries do. This means charging stations need to be built between your house and where you work. I see none of them on the way to where i work, how about you? I think we had this same conversation in the Tesla thread right? Also, what would your home owners insurance think about that? What about people who live in apartments?

An alternative would be to have a charging station at home. The charging station I have in my garage for my planes is encased with cinder blocks. The reason being is that if a cell degrades or runs away while charging it will explode. Not spectacularly but it will catch on fire so I need to prepare for that. There have been cases of guys burning their garages down because of runaway Li-Poly batteries. I'm not trying to scare people just make them aware of what could happen.

Now, the little cells I deal with in my planes burn down to about the size of a charcol briquette. Plus if they go nuclear I just throw it away and replace it with a cost of only around $5 for the smallest to around $50 for the largest capacity battery packs I have. What do you suppose is the cost of a EV battery pack? I suspect it's prohibitive.

Henry Ford built cars his employees could afford to buy without subsidies.
"Ford astonished the world in 1914 by offering a $5 per day wage, which more than doubled the rate of most of his workers. (Using the consumer price index, this was equivalent to $111.10 per day in 2008 dollars.)"

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average hourly wage in motor vehicle manufacturing for "Team Assemblers" is $23.73. The annual mean wage is $49,360 or $197 per day.

Of course back in 1914 health care costs were not what they are now. Back then if a worker got sick, he would take some over the counter patent medicine which would either help to alleviate his symptoms until he either got well naturally or died!

Li-Ion and Li-Poly batteries require different chargers than led-acid batteries do. This means charging stations need to be built between your house and where you work. I see none of them on the way to where i work, how about you? I think we had this same conversation in the Tesla thread right? Also, what would your home owners insurance think about that? What about people who live in apartments?

An alternative would be to have a charging station at home. The charging station I have in my garage for my planes is encased with cinder blocks. The reason being is that if a cell degrades or runs away while charging it will explode. Not spectacularly but it will catch on fire so I need to prepare for that. There have been cases of guys burning their garages down because of runaway Li-Poly batteries. I'm not trying to scare people just make them aware of what could happen.

Now, the little cells I deal with in my planes burn down to about the size of a charcol briquette. Plus if they go nuclear I just throw it away and replace it with a cost of only around $5 for the smallest to around $50 for the largest capacity battery packs I have. What do you suppose is the cost of a EV battery pack? I suspect it's prohibitive.

As stated, I know no more about that batteries stability than you do, if you have read the article on that site. Once independent consumer agencies weigh in, we will have more of an idea of the what the batterys characteristics are. As for cost, the CEO has stated that right now they are too expensive for standard cars, although cheaper than Lithium Ion. He has also stated that he expects the cost to come down substancially with mass production.

Governor Ted Kulongoski Press Release

In February of 2010, the Governors of Oregon, Washington and California and the Premier of the Province of British Columbia signed an agreement pledging to work toward building a “Green Highway” up and down Interstate 5. The goal of the plan is to develop sufficient EV charging infrastructure to drive an EV from British Columbia to Baja California. This project builds on the efforts recently approved in Washington State to extend the charging network outside of urban areas along the I-5 corridor. This grant covers the last link to be funded from the Canadian to the California border.

“This regional approach not only to climate change and renewable energy, but to energy independence and growing our “green” economy is as a model for the rest of the nation,” the Governor continued. “With a regional vision, a coordinated plan and partners in the private sector, we are showing the world that we can have a cleaner and more economical transportation system starting with the West Coast.”

Fast charging allows rapid battery recharge for electric vehicles. Typically, it would provide up to 80 percent recharge in 20 to 30 minutes. Because EV drivers would have to wait for charging, officials have preliminarily targeted host sites for the stations at or near I-5 interchanges with travel plazas and commercial enterprises that offer services such as restaurants or convenience stores. Possible locations include:

Exit 174, Cottage Grove
Exit 148, Rice Hill
Exit 120, Roseburg
Exit 99 , Canyonville
Exit 76 , Wolf Creek
Exit 58 , Grants Pass
Exit 30 , Medford
Exit 14 , Ashland

Forum List

Back