Specs for the ev that recently did 372 miles on one charge

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Old Rocks, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,294
    If any of this is half true, it totally changes the game for EVs. There is a good deal of infromation in this site. If all the claims are accurate, there is no reason that we cannot begin to build practical evs right now using these batteries. A Leaf using these batteries would have a range of 400 miles on one charge.

Lithium Metal Polymer Battery from DBM Energy - Secret of The World Record With Electric Car Revealed - Business Exchange

Audi A2 DBM Specifications
    Empty weight: 2,620 pounds <-- That is a light aluminum car with a battery big enough for a 375 mile AER trip!

Battery Detail: Li-Fe-Poly (260 Ah/380 V) cell voltage of 3.8 volts <-- 100 kWh pack?

Battery weight: 660 pounds <-- More than likely 120 kWh at a .2 kWh/mile minimum from just 660 pounds? Yet another game changing "Super Battery" Spec.

Charging Time Average: Approximately 4 hours for 70-miles AER at maximum V and Current from a European household circuit.

Charging Time Minimum: 6 minutes (a future solution) <-- Got a Coal or Nuke Plant nearby that you can tap into its 345 kV AC through a rectified super DC circuit? In addition, a charge rate that high leads to a discharge rate of enormous proportions. How much HP you want is only limited by the size and current capability of the electric motor you want to install and the Inverter and BUS' current limited capacity. That is if you use an A/C motor ;)

Battery Cycle Limit: Life Time of 2500 full charge cycles with no loss of capacity! <-- Yet another game changing "Super Battery" Spec.

Battery Service Life Target: 300,000 miles <-- Jesus H. ...

Top speed: 99 mph

Transmission: 5-speed MT

Motor Torque: 230 lb-ft.

2. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,294
    This was a car designed for an ICE and retrofitted to an EV. Consider the possibilites if you were to design it as an EV from the git-go. Hub motors, for instance. And consider the possibilities for retrofit of utility vehicles such as large vans and pickups.

Damn, I hope there claims are all accurate.

3. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    I've been saying this for sometime now, the battery capacity is what will make electric cars a viable alternative.

I differ with the articles assertion that Li-Poly batteries will last for 20 years though. I use Li-Poly exclusively on my R/C model airplanes and yes, they are strong and consistent but they don't last beyond 2-3 years or 100-200 recharge cycles. 20 years? You'll win the lottery before that happens.

The batteries in my planes, as well as those cars in the article, are wired in series to increase voltage, then in parallel to increase amperage. It only takes one cell to degrade (and they do) to affect the output of the entire battery pack. It's easy for me to take one of my airplanes packs apart and replace a damaged cell in a pack, but that's beyond the ability of 99.99 percent of your average shade tree mechanic. And I wouldn't recommend it anyway.

Plus, do a little YouTube search about Li-Poly battery fires. A small models' battery pack is bad enough but you can imagine what a 600 lb Li-Poly battery pack would be like a small nuclear device.

4. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,294
    DMB claims that these batteries have solved those problems. What is needed now is an independent assessment of the batteries. I cannot tell you if the claims have any validity. Only that they have made the claims, and backed up the initial ones with that trip made from Munich to Berlin. At night, with the lights and heater on, by the way.

Again, I continue to look for such an assessment. And I hope that their claims are correct.

5. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    How about this one?

MONEY.

How much does a Tesla cost?

6. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    I guess we're stuck in 1950 if that matters.

7. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Can the people who build Teslas afford a Tesla?

8. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    You don't think money matters?

I bet you think solar power is free.

9. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,294
    Well, we may just be seeing the Henry Ford of the EV in this young CEO of DBM Energy.

10. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Henry Ford built cars his employees could afford to buy without subsidies.