Speaking in Tongues

Capstone

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2012
It has been put forth by some scholars, most notably R. Strassman and T. McKenna, that in times of extreme physical stress, during NDE's, and even during REM sleep, the body releases dimethyltryptamine (DMT) naturally. McKenna further established an apparent causal relationship between artificially introduced DMT (and/or psilocybin) and the phenomenon known as glossolalia.

Here's a short clip of the late great Terence McKenna talking about it:

Could it be that 'speaking in tongues', as practiced by the Pentecostals and one or two other charismatic sects of Christianity, is for some a result of the release of naturally occurring DMT during some kind of 'religious experience'? :eusa_think:

I visited a Holy Roller meeting once and they were doing this.

What a hoot.

It sounded like a Satanic cult.

It has been put forth by some scholars, most notably R. Strassman and T. McKenna, that in times of extreme physical stress, during NDE's, and even during REM sleep, the body releases dimethyltryptamine (DMT) naturally. McKenna further established an apparent causal relationship between artificially introduced DMT (and/or psilocybin) and the phenomenon known as glossolalia.

Here's a short clip of the late great Terence McKenna talking about it:

Could it be that 'speaking in tongues', as practiced by the Pentecostals and one or two other charismatic sects of Christianity, is for some a result of the release of naturally occurring DMT during some kind of 'religious experience'? :eusa_think:

Nah. :eusa_snooty:

My wackadoodle neighbor up the road dabbles in this on her porch. It's filler. It's intended to keep the babble going so that nobody who might have something sensible to say (or think) can get a word (or thought) in edgewise. It's a way of shutting down any alternate voice so that they can keep the indoctrination at a steady flow and never give the receiving brain any chance to reflect on what just got said. Continuous sensory barrage to drown critical thought.

During my first colonoscopy, the twilight drug they had me on wore off....I woke up in the middle of it...it hurt...so I started chanting. Ohhmahneepawdmayhum...ohhhmahneepawdmayhum....nurse claims to doctor I am speaking in tongues...doctor laughs and starts chanting with me.

With that said...I experienced the speaking of tongues once. Won't go into detail, but the person doing it, and looking right at me with a message from only one source that would know pertinent info (God), I believe in it.

Your own mileages may vary. God speaks in unconventional ways.

During my first colonoscopy, the twilight drug they had me on wore off....I woke up in the middle of it...it hurt...so I started chanting. Ohhmahneepawdmayhum...ohhhmahneepawdmayhum....nurse claims to doctor I am speaking in tongues...doctor laughs and starts chanting with me.

With that said...I experienced the speaking of tongues once. Won't go into detail, but the person doing it, and looking right at me with a message from only one source that would know pertinent info (God), I believe in it.

Your own mileages may vary. God speaks in unconventional ways.
Ouchee that seems like it hurt.

When I am in pain I generally limit myself to four letter words instead.

I visited a Holy Roller meeting once and they were doing this.

What a hoot.

It sounded like a Satanic cult.

When it is said that believers would speak in strange tongues it does not mean that people would start gibbering incoherently making strange animal noises.

That would be signs of a disintegrated mind, or demonic possession.

When Jesus spoke he used the same exact language as everyone else but they didn't understand a word of it.

Re:

'How can you fail to see that I was not speaking about bread? You have eyes--can't you see? You have ears--can't you hear?' Don't you remember anything at all? Mark 8:18

Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because my revelation is above your grasp. John 8:43

I am not a member of any organized religion but I am a God fearing believer. In August 1914 at Little Rock, Arkansas my paternal grandfather was one of the founders of the current Assemblies Of God Church. I attended his church from birth until I was 18. I heard many people speak in tongues at prayer meetings and my grandfather and aunt would translate what they said. I don't speak or understand speaking in tongues but I firmly believe that God is speaking through that person. At my grandfathers funeral in Nov 1966 I sat between the Reverends Billy Graham and Oral Roberts and Rev Graham told my great-uncle and me that my grandfather was a man who truly spoke with God. People can mock and belittle this gift of speaking in tongues but remember, it is a sin to mock God. Just sayin'.

thank you hoss.....there is suppose to be translator or else it is just babble
Not babble as you can recognize the words they use when they're in their trance. My grandfather and aunt never translated the whole message, just described the subjects without detail. My brother Bloodrock44 can attest to everything I've said. He is a minister in the Assembly Of God but I don't think he has the gift.Too much of a sinner.

around here its church of christ with signs....the with signs tells you that they handled serpents, speak in tongues etc

i do not doubt what you are saying

thank you hoss.....there is suppose to be translator or else it is just babble
Not babble as you can recognize the words they use when they're in their trance. My grandfather and aunt never translated the whole message, just described the subjects without detail. My brother Bloodrock44 can attest to everything I've said. He is a minister in the Assembly Of God but I don't think he has the gift.Too much of a sinner.
It's just like my drill sergeant always used to say (and he was Catholic) ...

"you can give your heart to Jesus on Sundays but your azz belongs to the Corps the rest of the week!"

around here its church of christ with signs....the with signs tells you that they handled serpents, speak in tongues etc

i do not doubt what you are saying
Don't fokk with snakes though.

If you don't kill them before they bite you then you may lose a leg.

They taste just like chicken or fish.

And they roast nicely over a campfire of hot coals.

Forum List

Back