Speak English please

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by chanel, Apr 28, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Town Threatened Over "Anti-Immigrant" English Only Law | Judicial Watch

Why can't we make English our national language? Jesus Christ. It's the official language of Zimbambwe. :cuckoo:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Angelhair

Angelhair Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    'Why can't we make English our national language? Jesus Christ. It's the official language of Zimbambwe.'

28 states have made english their official language. CA being among them. What has it done? Nothing! I'm sure it serves some purpose. I believe that it is taken for granted that when in the USA you better learn english if you want to progress. Very few people get ahead who remain stuck in their native tongue and don't bother to learn english when living in the USA.

3. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    English is our official language. It was decided by our forefathers long ago. Dutch was a close second. I don't think Spanish was even considered.

4. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    If it's okay for Zimbabwe then it must be okay for us! :eusa_eh:

It's the same reason we've never had a national language. America is just not just one language, one culture. We are a melting pot, or as I like to say, a salad bowl. There are many different ingredients to the salad that make it taste delicious and make it a salad. No pieces are greater than the rest, and all contribute to making the salad better.

5. BolshevikHunter

BolshevikHunter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +273
    States like California, Arizona and Texas can just keep on adding to their bankrupt budgets and pathetic education systems by wasting time trying to teach Illegal immigrants English by hiring spanish speaking Teachers. Meanwhile, American children continue to suffer from overcrowded classrooms and lack of progress in regards to the education that they deserve as legal citizens. ~BH

6. BolshevikHunter

BolshevikHunter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +273
    What a load of feel good bullshit Dog. ~BH

7. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    So you don't believe in ESL programs for legal american citizens who come to this country?

I don't get quite that logic. "They don't want to learn our language!" "Stop giving them funding to learn our language!"

Also, it's due to overcrowding classrooms because of budget cuts. If you recall, certain parties are not fans of the education system.

8. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    Having multiple languages divides a culture, it doesn't bring it together.

9. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Feel free to refute what I said with actual evidence, not just emotion.

10. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    ESL is a free program offered in most libraries...my next door neighbor is a certified ESL teacher and teaches classes at our public library for free.

Children learn better in an environment where they are immersed in the language. Yeah, it's hard at first but they learn the language faster and then they catch up and sometimes even surpass the rest of the students. Keeping them separated by language is stupid.

ESL in our public schools is just another way to make those kids "separate" from the rest so that they will NEVER learn to be American.

Now for legal immigrants of high school age, I might agree that a separate language program should be offered. The older you get, the harder it is to learn another language but I would lean heavily on immersing them in the other subjects with the other kids and just having ESL as an extra class.