Space Shuttle Atlantis Launches on Public Display in Florida

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
If anyone gets the chance...should be interesting to see.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — Space shuttle Atlantis, the final orbiter among NASA's winged fleet to fly in space, launched on its new mission Saturday (June 29) as the centerpiece of a $100 million tourist attraction in Florida.

Astronauts from each of Atlantis' 33 flights joined officials at NASA's Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex for a morning ceremony marking the opening of "Space Shuttle Atlantis," a 90,000-square foot (8360 square meters) exhibit dedicated to the retired spacecraft.

"There are not a lot of places where you are going to be able to get as a close to an orbiter as you are going to be able to get when you get inside the Atlantis exhibit here," said Charles Bolden, NASA Administrator and commander of Atlantis' 11th mission, STS-45, in 1992.

Space Shuttle Atlantis Launches on Public Display in Florida

I can only imagine. Just look how massive these shuttles are. Was this the same craft that we watched live on TV while roads were closed as it was being moved to its new home?

Anyway...that is someplace I would live to visit. The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.

I can only imagine. Just look how massive these shuttles are. Was this the same craft that we watched live on TV while roads were closed as it was being moved to its new home?

Anyway...that is someplace I would live to visit. The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.
The Udvar-Hazy Center has a full size Space Shuttle mock up they used for training (Enterprise). If you go to DC for NASM your should go there as well:

Welcome Space Shuttle Discovery!

Forum List

Back