Sooo....anyone here have a partial knee replacement?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
How much fun was it?
Cortisone shots are not really working anymore, and partial replacement is the only option I have left.

I had injections for a torn meniscus and finally, when it got so bad I was walking around London, bone on bone, I had a total knee replacement (in the US) in 2010.

Exercise, do the PT and then exercise and the do the PT some more.

Its not that bad but I can't stress enough that you need to work to be as strong as possible before the surgery because you will need all that and more. If you're already in good shape, no problem.

After surgery, keep doing the exercise and PT. Don't let up or you could one day find yourself on the floor and not able to get up.

I had injections for a torn meniscus and finally, when it got so bad I was walking around London, bone on bone, I had a total knee replacement (in the US) in 2010.

Exercise, do the PT and then exercise and the do the PT some more.

Its not that bad but I can't stress enough that you need to work to be as strong as possible before the surgery because you will need all that and more. If you're already in good shape, no problem.

After surgery, keep doing the exercise and PT. Don't let up or you could one day find yourself on the floor and not able to get up.

I am bone on bone now, unfortunately I also suffer from chronic venous disease in both legs. I had three operations for that last November and December. That really reduced the strength in my legs which of course exacerbated the knee problem. It has been a tough road to get the strength and balance back.
At this point I don't think I have a choice to wait much longer, the Doctor said to me on my last visit "when you come back, know that you are coming back to get it replaced, you will know when".
Fun.

How much fun was it?
Cortisone shots are not really working anymore, and partial replacement is the only option I have left.

I had a hip replaced about a year ago and It was cake.
I was up and walking without a walker within days and by the time eight or nine months went by it was like new.
The thing you dont want to do is wait to long or your muscles will atrophy which makes the rehab way harder.

I had my first total knee replacement Nov 2012 , my second Mar 2013, my right hip repacedl sep 2014 and my left hip replaced last week, and all were totally endurable.

I wouldn't do a partial if a total was possible, as a partial might involve a revision later.

I also had a knee meniscus tear repair made back in 2003 by arthroscopy and that was by far the worse as to pain and swelling.

Take to heart what HereWeGoAgain said in the previous post; muscles atrophy quickly and can make recovery much more difficult.

Last edited:
You can do non-weight bearing exercises though weight-bearing is better. I wear weights on my ankles all day, every day. They're the second thing I put on in the morning. Every night, I still do the exercises I was given by the PT. You can do many of them in bed before you go to sleep.

Just don't sit there though cuz I can guarantee that you'll be sorry later.

I had my first total knee replacement Nov 2012 , my second Mar 2013, my right hip repacedl sep 2014 and my left hip replaced last week, and all were totally endurable.

I wouldn't do a partial if a total was possible, as a partial might involve a revision later.

I also had a knee meniscus tear repair made back in 2003 by arthroscopy and that was by far the worse as to pain and swelling.

Take to heart what HereWeGoAgain said in the previous post; muscles atrophy quickly and can make recovery much more difficult.

Well...your kinda making me feel like a weeny worrying about this! :redface:
The vein surgery I had required 8 shots in each leg, they removed the great saphenous vein in both and lasered shut a couple others. HOLY COW was the recovery horrible. I had to get up every hour and walk for 3 or 4 minutes. Which was extremely difficult and painful. Imagine your entire leg feeling like a charlie horse that does not go away.
I guess this experience has made me gun shy.
But geez - if you went through all of this and say it wasn't that terrible - that gives me better confidence.

Forum List

Back