Someone screwed up big time

Discussion in 'Military' started by RetiredGySgt, Dec 19, 2007.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,924
    The chain of command screwed this royally, I hope the investigation results in some kind of action against the doctor and at least several of his supposed leaders.

The Marine Corps and I am sure the Army have been shit hot about suicide. These people made major mistakes. The Doctor is an idiot at best.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071219/ap_on_re_us/a_soldier_s_suicide

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Very touching story. I feel for the family's loss. The picture says it all.

[​IMG]

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    From what I can tell reading the article, the CoC acted based on a recommendation by a psychologist. If anyone screwed up, I'd say it started with his misdiagnosis.

4. 82Marine89

82Marine89 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Godspeed PFC Jason Scheuerman.

5. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,924
    The doctor is the top of the list for discipline BUT the soldiers actions, behavior and obvious depression were easily seen and identified, his direct supervisors, Platon Sgt, Squad leader and Platoon Commander as well as that idiot First Sgt are all a complete failure.

The Company Commander would have little knowledge on the condition of the soldier. And while the First Sgt might not either, his ignorant comments are way beyons the pale in a potential situation he DID know about.

So from top to bottom of whom I would investigate for action against...

The Doctor
    The First Sgt
    The Squad Leader
    The Platoon Sgt
    The Platoon Leader

I would reserve the harshest potential punishment for the Doctor and the First Sgt. I would also investigate what training the platoon leadership had on suicide prevention and based on that act against them.

Nothing criminal though, though the Doctor is pushing it.

6. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Fucking Unsat.

The CO at both Company and Battalion level need to be relieved.

The First Sergeant and Sergeant Major need to be relieved. Additionally the First Sergeant needs to spend a few minutes alone in a locked room with the dad.

The entire COC is culpable. No leader is perfect, but we ensure that every troop is seen and known by more than one. His fireteam leader, squad leader, Plt Sgt, Plt Commander should have seen and known him from daily interaction. His leadership should have been briefing the Company Leadership and those briefings go up the Chain of Command.

What these people did was to assume he was a shitbird and ignore the PME that has been ongoing since the mid 1990's on suicide awareness.

I can't speak for or against the Doc since I don't have the training. But I damn sure have enough leadership experience to know that some-fucking-body should have run up the bullshit flag and gotten a second opinion.

I hope the IG frags these fuckers but good.

7. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,924
    Yup I was getting out in 95, BUT at least 5 years before that the Marine Corps was hot and heavy into suicide prevention training. No way the Army was not also.

That First Sgt is an idiot. The Platoon Sgt sounds like he was untrained and we have no comments from his squad leader. If the troops saw it there is no way the platoon leaders did not. Classic case of depression, and depression in those conditions with access to a loaded firearm is moronic. Basic leadership training.

He wasn't shaving, he wasn't bathing, he wasn't changing cloths, he was not acting as he had previously, he voiced doubts, he put his damn gun to his head and mouth in front of others. HE ask to see a health care provider. He sent a suicide good bye to his MOTHER.

These people screwed up beyond belief. And they know it or they would not have been so short on the information to his family.

Having been a leader of troops, there is a HUGE difference between a shit bird and the actions so easily observed by this private. His Command failed and in a major way.

8. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    That is exactly my reaction and why I went straight into rant mode.

9. doniston

doniston Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Interesting that you would add the codicil "IF" to the discussion--- But not unexpected. At least your Gunny buddy admits to the posibility that Someone screwed up.

10. MasterChief

MasterChief Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    RetiredGySgt,
    I agree completely. The system failed the boy. Suicide is nothing to fool around with. Whenever a young person starts playing with the idea and mimicking suicidal behavior, action must be taken immediately. The one that is really tough is the young person who gives no signals--my son was like that--but in this case there is no excuse.