So If Corporations Are Considered Equal To Persons...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MarcATL, Apr 7, 2010.

1. MarcATL

MarcATL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,747
    Then who do we arrest when one of them breaks the law?

The CEO, the Board Members, the Stock Holders...WHO?

2. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,518
    Another morbidly asinine thread... congrats.

3. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    The winger with another ignorant pseudo-point

Corporations are not individuals... and those responsible for the infractions involving crime within a corporation are held responsible for their actions...

Corporations do not have the rights of an individual citizen.. as they are not individual entities in and of themselves... corporations are things that are not cognizant... corporations would not exist without the individuals funding and working within them.. just as private property does not exist without a citizen or individual to own it

4. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,001
    Simple. A corporation isn't really a person. It is given recognation as a quasi person so i can do business, hold assets, produce documents etc under the identity of the corporation and not the people in it. It can also be held liable in civil court as an entity. This was desgined originally to distinguish between private assest and the corporations. Without this a person could sue the compainies stockholders for thier personal assests, regardless of source.

As for criminal liability crimes have and will continue to be charged against the person responsible. accounting crimes against accountant and management, other crimes against the person who did it under the guise of the organziation.

Corporations is people is a simplification of the concept.

5. MarcATL

MarcATL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,747
    So to sum up the response from the few Neo-Cons that cared to reply:

Corporations can run to the rights and freedoms of individuals when it best suits them and then run back to the freedoms and rights of Corporations when it best suits them.

OK, I get it.

Thanks.

6. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    1) Try and understand exactly what a neo-con is... before continuing to use it as you typically do in your complete ignorance
    2) Nice attempt to twist words to fit your babbling.... not gonna work though

7. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,001
    First issue:

How do you know I am a neo-con. I did not go into opinion on the rules, just how I see them.

Second I did not say corportations are a person. They are a quasi-person, or an amaglamation of people that is given certain abilities for interactive purposes.

For example they do not get a vote, or a census count. But they can be taxed and regulated. They can be taken to court and forced to pay settlements, but they cant go to jail (people in them can).

The issue you are alluding to in a heavy handed way is more about speech, and in particular how political speech is paid for. The question is about how a corporation can used declared income for the publication of opinions made by the corporation (really the board of directors, actual people)

8. MarcATL

MarcATL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,747
    OK, for the forty-eleventh time, if you find yourself agreeing with and/or supporting the likes of Karl Rove, Billy Kristol, Krauthammer, et al...you're a Neo-Con.

However, if this does not apply to you, then I take it back...just this once.

I would hate for you people to get your panties so twisted up into tight bunches for no reason, as I'm such a nice guy you see.

9. Tom Clancy

Tom Clancy Clancy for Ron Paul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +585
  10. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,001
    Yep Krauthammer is the man. Neo-con it is.

He actually pisses some conservatives off with his views on carbon taxes, less for Global warming, more for Energy Independence.