Zone1 Slideshow: 20 facts that prove it wasn’t better in the past... except for white men

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
AAXjaFw.img

Six-year-old Ruby Bridges (pictured), faced harassment and violence for attempting to attend class.

I learned a couple of things that I was previously unaware of, but I'll reserve commenting on them until I see if anyone else notices them.

20 facts that prove it wasn’t better in the past... except for white men

You know; What struck me as total BS is this:
"It’s not uncommon nowadays to hear someone complain that nobody has a sense of humour anymore, that you can’t say anything, or that everything is too politically correct. What they really mean is that there’s little appetite these days for the racist, sexist, and ableist jokes that used to pass muster."

These morons do not have a sense of humor. It's all about restricting free speech.

Fewer mental health issues? Maybe so, but we had actual state mental hospitals for people with problems.

IMO, mental health care was better in the past.

You know; What struck me as total BS is this:
"It’s not uncommon nowadays to hear someone complain that nobody has a sense of humour anymore, that you can’t say anything, or that everything is too politically correct. What they really mean is that there’s little appetite these days for the racist, sexist, and ableist jokes that used to pass muster."

These morons do not have a sense of humor. It's all about restricting free speech.

Fewer mental health issues? Maybe so, but we had actual state mental hospitals for people with problems.

IMO, mental health care was better in the past.

o hell no it wasnt it was just hidden then..just like booze addiction and domestic violence it was hidden and never talked about...

the pictures didnt show me a white man's society just pics from the past..if you really want to show how good it was..show pics of polio victims and then the asylums that they use to lock people up in

damn duke you are just so wrong here stop trying to live on past laurels....

o hell no it wasnt it was just hidden then..just like booze addiction and domestic violence it was hidden and never talked about...

the pictures didnt show me a white man's society just pics from the past..if you really want to show how good it was..show pics of polio victims and then the asylums that they use to lock people up in

damn duke you are just so wrong here stop trying to live on past laurels....
Point out what was incorrect that I posted; You seem to be reading much more into it than what is there.

AAXjaFw.img

Six-year-old Ruby Bridges (pictured), faced harassment and violence for attempting to attend class.

I learned a couple of things that I was previously unaware of, but I'll reserve commenting on them until I see if anyone else notices them.

I'll push back a little on the slide show.

1. You used to be able to get a job out of high school and work there for decades. The guy on the shop floor and the guy in the management suite were "in it" together. Now? You can show up for work one day to find out that someone you never met and who doesn't even know your name has decided that you're no longer valuable enough to keep around. The story below in the WSJ sums up the change:

1682331959749.png

Meat cutters who didn't even hear about the vote much less took part in it were just told one day that their job was eliminated because of what was done, perhaps, thousands of miles away. This didn't use to happen. Its a change in corporate culture. So yes, that used to be better.

One other thing; we didn't use to identify ourselves by who we voted for. Persons who ran for office (for the most part) did so because they wanted to affect positive change; not because it was a cool gig that would expand their brand. Its easy to point to Trump in this case. But this goes back further. Blago, Bono, Eastwood, Ventura, Schwartzenegger and probably several others.

Each time period has it's good and bad, That said, the standard of living in 1st world countries is 'bout as good as it's ever been.

Though out history there have been nations at war and war is hell.

AAXjaFw.img

Ok I wasted 5 minutes going through the slide show, learned nothing except there's some good deals on hearing aids from the embedded advertisement slides. Do you get a kickback from the hearing aid company?

This has been going on for decades in the retail meat business. Skilled meat cutters have been replaced by unskilled workers in large meat processing plants.

I'm sure it was a radical coincidence that shortly after a small group in 3 towns decided to unionize, Was Mart got rid of the jobs chain-wide.

I'm sure it was a radical coincidence that shortly after a small group in 3 towns decided to unionize, Was Mart got rid of the jobs chain-wide.
Didn't fit their business model which is continuous expansion providing low-cost products and low paying jobs.

I worked as a meatcutter in a non-union shop, but the owner paid us union scale and benefits. However, the other store employees went on strike for unionization, the owner capitulated, and went out of business within a year. The store never reopened leaving a 'food desert' in that neighborhood and dozens of jobs were lost. Some businesses can afford to pay union benefits, some cannot.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back