Slate: Furious at Facebook Again!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Synthaholic, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Synthaholic

Synthaholic Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Kicking PoliticalChic's ass up & down the forum
    Ratings:
    +8,885
    Furious at Facebook Again!

When a man tried to return my lost laptop, Facebook hid his messages from me. How come?

On Nov. 15 at approximately 11:45 p.m., I left my 1-month-old MacBook Air in the back of a New York City cab. Quickly realizing my error, I freaked out: Hands shaking, I dialed the city’s Taxi and Limousine Commission, reported the cab’s medallion number (I had a receipt) and jotted down the phone number of city precincts where my cargo could end up (if a good Samaritan turned it in). Then, I slumped against the side of a building and sobbed.

Of course, it was only a computer. But this superficial, expensive thing contained a completed story that I was supposed to send an editor at this magazine the following morning. And all of my notes for said story, which I had come to New York to write. No, I didn’t save my files to an external hard drive and no I did not have insurance on the computer. The next morning, I chugged coffee and rewrote the story. I tracked down the cab driver; he claimed he never found it. A week later, I reluctantly purchased a new laptop. And that was that.

Until today, when a colleague at Slate sent an email around about the messages Facebook hides in an obscure folder labeled “Other.” Haven’t heard of it? Click the Messages tab on the left side of your Facebook screen. “Other” will then appear beneath it. Click on Other and you will unearth months of messages you probably missed. (Blogger Erika Napoletano has great, annotated screengrabs to guide you through this process.) When I did just this, I inhaled sharply: A man had sent me four very important messages: two on Nov. 16, one on the 17th, and another on the 18th.

“Please let me know if you lost something and identify what you lost,” said the first one. “Did you forget something?? Please identify what you lost,” pleaded the second. “Are you the one who lost something? Please respond and identify. I saw your name in the bag I found,” said the third message. Finally, he surrendered to specifics: “Dear Elizabeth, I found your laptop in a taxi. Please call me at xxxxxxxxx.”

I dialed the number immediately. A man picked up the phone. “I’m so sorry, I just saw your Facebook message!” I breathed. “Do you still have my laptop?” He said that he did have it, but that I should call him back in a couple of hours—he was in the middle of something important. I told him I’d call him back. Then I sent a series of all-caps emails to my colleagues about the fiasco (so professional), and, of course, updated my Facebook status to reflect my wrath (so meta).

How could Facebook do this? Why would they do this? Facebook messages are the social networking site’s version of emails (or at least they were before they introduced a version of Facebook email last November). Users can send them to friends by clicking the “message” icon at the top of a profile, or by clicking the “new message” button at the top of the Messages landing page. I asked a Facebook representative how, when, and why the messaging system was changed to include this sneaky Other tab.

*snip*

2. Synthaholic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,885
    Facebook sucks.

3. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    Facebook is a massive catalog of a whole lot of nothing.

"I got up this morning and had coffee"
    "Me too"
    [liked]
    "I like coffee"
    [5 likes]
    "I have a cool coffee mug"

4. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    If I post a political message or video on FaceBook I'll rarely get responses.

If I post how delicious Starbucks Coffee is I'll get a bunch of responses.

I've been told that I should maintain a FaceBook page so that family can keep in touch with me but then I found out most people just talk about each other via private message so it doesn't really matter.

5. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    You got it.
    I am both afraid and ashamed each time I realize the shallow depth of the average persons thoughts.
    I too have posted videos commentaries on facebook and got bubkus.
    I post up some meaningless comment cause I am bored - and I see a string of responses.

6. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    You got it.
    I am both afraid and ashamed each time I realize the shallow depth of the average persons thoughts.

7. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,889
    Ramnit worm steals 45k Facebook passwords...
    :mad:
    Worm steals 45,000 Facebook passwords, researchers say
    5 January 2012 - More malware is worming its way onto social networks.

8. gxnelson

gxnelson SuperWhoLock

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hate facebook, the only reason I have it is for family really, or people I just met. It's boring garbage.

9. Synthaholic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,885
    There's a cure for that: http://bit.ly/6i2Ix5

10. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,889
    possum likes usin' a password - makes him feel like he's a secret agent...

Passwords Could Soon Be Obsolete
    January 13, 2012 - IBM lists 5 innovations it expects in next 5 years
    See also:

Michigan girl with Huntington's Disease who was taunted on Facebook, dies
    January 12, 2012 | The sick 9-year-old Michigan girl who drew media attention after her grandmother’s neighbor posted gruesome pictures of her on Facebook, died Wednesday night, her father told MyFoxDetroit.com.