Siemens buys Solel Solar for half a billion dollars

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
On Oct. 15, German engineering giant Siemens made headlines by paying nearly a half-billion dollars for Israel's Solel Solar Systems, a pioneer in solar thermal technology. Solel has spent two decades perfecting a system that uses mirror-lined troughs to capture the sun's energy and drive steam turbines that produce electricity. With Siemens (SI) as a parent, Solel will have access to deeper pockets, world-class manufacturing, and vastly broader global distribution.

Almost lost in the hoopla was another deal the same day that also involved Israeli solar technology—but in this case, even more state-of-the-art. Startup SolarEdge Technologies, based just north of Tel Aviv in Herzliya, said it had secured a $23 million round of financing, the largest such infusion to date into Israel's fledgling solar energy industry. SolarEdge is working on advanced technology to improve the efficiency of photovoltaic cells. Among its new funders: giant General Electric (GE), in its first direct investment in the local solar scene.

Israeli Solar Gets Its Moment in the Sun - BusinessWeek

Win, win, how do you know, because a giant corporation's marketing says it so?

Its a win for Seimens. Free technology, thats right, free, sure they bought the company but its government grants of tax payer money that is used to do the research and development of the Solar panels.

You dumb asses know nothing of what it takes to make a solar panel do you. I bet if I ask some simple questions the questions will go un-answered.

How much electricity is used by the solar panel manufacturering plant.

What raw materials are needed.

I actually think this technology is better than photovoltaic, is that what you have found to be true as well?

Last edited:
Mdn, you silly dingbat, how much energy to produce the materials used in a coal fired plant? In a natural gas fired plant?

How much is the harm done to this nations children due to the mercury and lead put into the atmosphere by coal fired plants worth? How about the cost of the asthma caused by other pollutants from coal fired plants. What is that worth?

Win-win because we now have more major players in the market, creating more competition, and research into the best route to high efficiency solar power.

Forum List

Back