Arctic sea ice now the second lowest on record

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Sea ice extent grew throughout October, as the temperature dropped and darkness returned to the Arctic. However, a period of relatively slow ice growth early in the month kept the average ice extent low—October 2009 had the second-lowest ice extent for the month over the 1979 to 2009 period.

Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis

Where are all the deniers on this thread.

Can't comment on something that doesn't fit your worldview?

Chris, you have way too much time on your hands. Who gives a rats ass about what the ice is doing in the artic? What is the impact of this on your life?????????? Like, what are you going to do about it anyway?

Chris, you have way too much time on your hands. Who gives a rats ass about what the ice is doing in the artic? What is the impact of this on your life?????????? Like, what are you going to do about it anyway?

The impact is the vastly accelerated increase in the release of CO2 and CH4 from the permafrost areas of Siberia, North America, and Europe.

The impact is the release of CH4 from the clathrates in the Arctic Ocean.

Now, if you wish to do a little research, and not just play the part of a braindead rightwing talking point sheep, you might have a look at what has happened in geological history when we have had such releases.

Permian-Triassic extinction event: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

The Permian–Triassic (P–Tr) extinction event, informally known as the Great Dying, was an extinction eventExtinction event
An extinction event is a sharp decrease in the number of species in a relatively short period of time. Mass extinctions affect most major taxonomy groups present at the time ? birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, invertebrates and other simpler life forms....
that occurred , forming the boundary between the PermianPermian
The PermianThe term "Permian" was introduced into geology in 1841 by Sir Roderick Murchison, president of the Geological Society of London, who identified typical strata in extensive Russian explorations undertaken with Edouard de Verneuil; Murchison asserted in 1841 that he named his "Permian system" after the ancient kingdom...
and TriassicTriassic
The Triassic is a geologic period that extends from about 251 to 199 annum . As the first period of the Mesozoic Era, the Triassic follows the Permian and is followed by the Jurassic....
geologic periods. It was the Earth's most severe extinction event, with up to 96 percent of all marineMarine biology
Marine biology is the scientific study of living organisms in the ocean or other Marine or brackish bodies of water.Given that in biology many scientific classification, families and Genera have some species that live in the sea and others that live on land, marine biology classifies species based on the environment rather than on taxon...
speciesSpecies
In biology, a species is one of the basic units of biological classification and a taxonomic rank. A species is often defined as a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring....
and 70 percent of terrestrial vertebrateVertebrate
Vertebrates are members of the subphylum Vertebrata, chordates with Vertebras or Vertebral columns. The grouping sometimes includes the hagfish, which have no vertebrae, but are genetically quite closely related to lampreys, which do have vertebrae....
species becoming extinctExtinction
In biology and ecology, extinction is the death of every member of a species or group of taxon. The moment of extinction is generally considered to be the death of the last individual of that species ....
; it is the only known mass extinction of insects. 57% of all families and 83% of all genera were killed off. Because so much biodiversity was lost, the recovery of life on earth took significantly longer than after other extinction events. This event has been described as the "mother of all mass extinctions". The pattern of extinction is still disputed, as different studies suggest one to three different pulses. There are several proposed mechanisms for the extinctions; the earlier peak was likely due to gradualistic environmental change, while the later was probably due to a catastrophic event. Possible mechanisms for the latter include large or multiple bolide impact eventImpact event
An impact event is the collision of a large meteoroid, asteroid or comet with the Earth. Impact events have been a plot and background element in science fiction since knowledge of real impacts became established in the scientific mainstream....
s, increased volcanism, or sudden release of methane hydrates from the sea floor; gradual changes include sea-level change, anoxiaAnoxia
The term anoxia means a total decrease in the level of oxygen, an extreme form of hypoxia or "low oxygen". The terms anoxia and hypoxia are used in various contexts:...
, increasing aridArid
A region is said to be arid when it is characterized by a severe lack of available water, to the extent of hindering or even preventing the Individual growth and Morphogenesis of plant and animal life....
ity, and a shift in ocean circulation driven by climate change

Where are the cowardly deniers when the facts don't fit their world view?

Oh, yea, they don't have the balls to admit they are wrong.

Where are the cowardly deniers when the facts don't fit their world view?

Oh, yea, they don't have the balls to admit they are wrong.

Balls?

Oh Chris, you are such a scamp!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x9rtEHtubI&feature=channel]YouTube - George Michael - I Want Your Sex[/ame]

Chris, you and Rocks are so arrogant that you want nothing more than to tell other people how to live.

No, what I want is America free from dependence on foreign oil

No, you want to tell other people how to live, otherwise you wouldn't:

1. Drive.
2. Eat meat.
3. Use electricity.
4. Use a computer.
5. Take advantage of Capitalism.
6. Wouldn't buy food at the grocery store.
7. Support Al Gore at all.
8. Wouldn't let this garbage be shoved down your throat so easily.

Chris, you and Rocks are so arrogant that you want nothing more than to tell other people how to live.

1. Drive.
2. Eat meat.
3. Use electricity.
4. Use a computer.

The fact Chris allows that last item brings so much pleasure to the world!!! :eusa_angel:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Drive.
2. Eat meat.
3. Use electricity.
4. Use a computer.

I have never said any of those things. except driving more fuel efficient cars for the good of America.

Do you really have to make things up?

Hey, did you guys follow the links, seriously, this is a great debate by the TWINs, just look how smart they posted links, those are great links folks. I cannot come up with a link to trump their links, these guys are good.

I will get back to this thread as soon as I get my links lined up. Just wait until you see how my links make me look smarter than your links.

I wonder if all these Ice cubes at 7/11 are really artic ice some evil republican capitalist working for Bush is selling, damned Bush and halliburton are stealing artic ice to sell as ice cubes.

Good thread, twins, you boys sure know how to post links.

How can this be debateable?

The ice either is or is not melting.

Which is it?

Most experts tell us it's melting.

Some deny it.

We believe who we WANT to believe.

But what we BELIEVE doesn't matter.

What IS, is what matters.

Knowing for sure, would be nice, though, wouldn't it?

Sea ice extent grew throughout October, as the temperature dropped and darkness returned to the Arctic. However, a period of relatively slow ice growth early in the month kept the average ice extent low—October 2009 had the second-lowest ice extent for the month over the 1979 to 2009 period.

Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis

Wow a whole 30 year record? Shocking indeed.

Sorry, we are melting the North Pole.

It has been there for millions of years.

Actually it is quite shocking.

Forum List

Back