Should You Be Looking Out For The Welfare Of Health Insurance Companies?

OP is like AOC herself, no idea how ANYTHING works, but they want to reform EVERYTHING
Look who's talking. I have yet to see an explanation of how it works from you.
I know the basics behind the insurance business, you - not so much.

Bear in mind that the beauty of Capitalism is that there is, and should be, inexorable pressure on profits from competitors. If an insurance company is making "obscene profits" rest assured that their closest 3 competitors are planning to deliver more for less cost.

I like some of your other sock accounts so you can stay even after Comey and Brennan head to Gitmo

First, I'd like to ascertain that you understand the nature of insurance.
Are you referring to the CURRENT way it's setup where it's the insurance company's job to make profit, therefore to NOT pay out on as many claims as they can get away with?

Is that what you're trying to ascertain?

The idea of writing insurance policies is to write policies that are less likely to result in paying claims.

Of course, any insurance company has to pay some claims.

But that's where you have claims adjusters to take a look at the claims- particularly large ones, and make sure they are covered by the policy in force.

Five more US states sue Purdue Pharma over its role in opioid crisis

Or, should Health Insurance companies be looking out for the welfare of you?

Why/why not?

I have not found anyone willing or able to explain why they are vital to begin with.

They've made themselves "vital" by using the regulatory power of government to their advantage. As a result, they've installed themselves as largely unnecessary middlemen in every single health care transaction. Now they're looking to seal the deal with "Medicare for All", which will give them permanent rent-seeking status and direct access to federal tax revenue.

They've made themselves "vital" by using the regulatory power of government to their advantage. As a result, they've installed themselves as largely unnecessary middlemen in every single health care transaction. Now they're looking to seal the deal with "Medicare for All", which will give them permanent rent-seeking status and direct access to federal tax revenue.
Isn't that a direct result of money in politics?

Isn't that a direct result of money in politics?
No, it's a direct result of politics in money - ie it's a result of government expanding its power to regulate our economic decisions.

Why/why not?

I have not found anyone willing or able to explain why they are vital to begin with.

Why are they necessary to begin with?

Why/why not?

Why are they necessary to begin with?

They're not.

Why/why not?
A comprehensive Medicare program would greatly benefit health insurance companies – it would allow them to focus on providing health insurance, which they do well, and get them out of the business of health maintenance, which the do poorly.

With comprehensive Medicare, health insurance would again function as it should, the same as car insurance and homeowner’s insurance – something one hopes he will never use.

With comprehensive Medicare, health insurance companies would be at liberty to maximize profits by increasing premiums, denying coverage for pre-existing conditions, and by refusing to cover treatments considered too expensive.

No, it's a direct result of politics in money - ie it's a result of government expanding its power to regulate our economic decisions.
That doesn't make any sense.

Money influences politics, not the other way around.

I take it you're just A-OK w/money being in politics, am I right?

Me personally?

No.

I think health insurance has been the very cause of high medical costs.

It's not really insurance.

All health care should be paid out of pocket.

You had me until the last sentence.

Everyone would be sick and/or dead if that were the case, except for the wealthy.

That doesn't make any sense.

Money influences politics, not the other way around.

No, it goes both ways. Government can make or break a business with the stroke of a pen. And that's the problem. Regulatory policy can be the primary factor in whether a company makes a profit or not. Politicians know this and use it secure funding. They propose laws, and make other threats, to entice these companies to line up on K street - or face the consequences.

The insured does son.
Go on...explain.

You pay your 3oo bucks in premium and, pay your ded, pay up to your max out of pocket and your hated insurance companies pay 10's of 1000's of dollars in claims. Pretty slick eh? Only an America as founded hating person like you would whine about the fact that an insurance company gets 20 cents of every dollar collected to us to pay t's over head.

Forum List

Back