Should We End The Death Penalty?

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Madeline, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    IMO, those who support the death penalty do so because, justifiably, they feel some crimes are so beyond the pale as to surpass any other possible punishment. But still, IMO, appeasing emotion is not a good enough reason to impose this punishment. Here are a few reasons I oppose it:

1. Death penalty cases are inevitably appealed. The delay in carrying out the sentence as well as the various court proceedings keep the victim's family involved in the process, re-hearing the atrocious facts, for years.....often more than a decade.

2. There are too many cases in which a prisoner's innocence is in doubt.

3. Death penalty sentences are far, far more expensive for the state (or feds) to carry out than LWOP.

4. In some states, the budget for adequate counsel at trial and after conviction to defend death-qualified defendants is so abysmal, there can hardly be a patina of justice.

5. Death penalty appeals tie up valuable court time. In Florida in the late 1990's, over one half of all Supreme Court cases and decisions dealt with death penalty cases. Not criminal cases...just death penalty.

6. The US is nearly alone in civilized countries in imposing this sentence. Our need to punish surely is no greater than most of the world's....the death penalty is not necessary.

2. rikules

rikules fighting thugs and cons

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +305
    madeline...

I have great respect for you and find you to be one of the more rational posters

however
    on this issue I disagree.

there are, in my mind, SOME case where the death penalty is justified.

charles manson...for one.

3. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    In my opinion

NO!

4. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Okay, if you feel the death penalty has value...what value do you perceive? Does it make us safer? Saner?

BTW, Manson was sentenced to death. The US Supreme Court voided the death penalty laws of several states, and his was among those commuted.

I lived in Florida for many years, and actually met people close to the homicide victims of Ted Bundy. It is very, very hard to take an anti-death penalty POV in a case like his. but for every Ted Bundy (or Charles Manson) there are thousands of "ordinary murderers". For a brief time, I worked with death penalty defense lawyers, and met several families who had lost a family member to homicide....usually parents. It is beyond description the pain and suffering of these people. Is it fair to ask them to endure so much, for our sake? So we can extract revenge?

5. Synthaholic

Synthaholic Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Kicking PoliticalChic's ass up & down the forum
    Ratings:
    +8,878
    I think it should be sped up for those who have gone through the process, and have not had any DNA issues.

6. rikules

rikules fighting thugs and cons

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +305
    "Okay, if you feel the death penalty has value...what value do you perceive? Does it make us safer? Saner?"

saner?

no.

safer?

maybe.

perhaps then next charles manson might think twice before he (and his friends) commit such foul acts.

but...probably not. Manson was insane and his followers were almost as bad

one cannot expect rational acts from the insane or the conservatyively correct.

executing manson does 2 things;

1. it guarantees he will NEVER be able to commit another crime
    2. it saves the rest of us a lot of money that is noow being used to keep him in prison.

"BTW, Manson was sentenced to death. The US Supreme Court voided the death penalty laws of several states, and his was among those commuted."

ok.
    still.
    he is a case where I would condone the death penalty.

please don't assume that I would justify the death penalty on a frivolous basis.

I would use it sparingly and ONLY in cases LIKE manson (and his friends)

"I lived in Florida for many years, and actually met people close to the homicide victims of Ted Bundy. It is very, very hard to take an anti-death penalty POV in a case like his. but for every Ted Bundy (or Charles Manson) there are thousands of "ordinary murderers". For a brief time, I worked with death penalty defense lawyers, and met several families who had lost a family member to homicide....usually parents. It is beyond description the pain and suffering of these people. Is it fair to ask them to endure so much, for our sake? So we can extract revenge?"

please don't assume that I would justify the death penalty on a frivolous basis.

I would use it sparingly and ONLY in cases LIKE manson (and his friends)

I would certainly use it far less often than the state of texas does.

7. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I'll agree with this much, Synthaholic. If we do keep the death penalty, changes need to be made. I'd suggest it never be imposed in cases that relied only on circumstantial evidence and where there is no definitive forensics.

But I have to be honest. My biggest objection is the horrible burden it places on the families of victims.

8. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    You left out the most important one - the intentional killing of a human being is morally wrong, regardless of whether it is done by another human or by the state.

9. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I don't agree that a state-ordered execution is the moral equivalent to a murder, George.

10. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Don't feel badly - there really is no right or wrong position to take on the death penalty. Like abortion and a number of other issues, it depends almost entirely on one's own, personal viewpoint. I am opposed to it. But I recognize that valid arguments can be made for the imposition of the death penalty.