Should the NCAA ban kickoffs in football?

Should the NCAA ban kickoffs in football?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I thought there would be cake

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

McRocket

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2018
College football is sticking with the kickoff, but it may not be long before it becomes obsolete

Thanks to the Alliance of American Football, we now know what the game without kickoffs looks like.

The AAF debuted last weekend without toe meeting pigskin following scores. Offenses simply took over at the 25-yard line. No high-speed blocks, tackles or collisions. Definitely no injuries.

"It felt a little awkward," said Atlanta Legends coach Kevin Coyle, a veteran of more than 40 college and pro seasons. "For me personally, it felt strange not to kickoff and cover the kick."

Awkward, maybe, but safer.

Whether college football is headed in the AAF's direction is up for debate. But eight years into the rule-changing procedure to limit kickoffs, we do know the impact they have on players are at historical lows.

• For the first time since the NCAA began tracking such numbers, less than half of all kickoffs -- only 42 percent -- were returned last season.
  • For at least the fifth straight year, touchbacks are up. The 2018 total of 4,273 was up almost 28 percent since 2013.
  • The total number of kickoffs returned for touchdowns is down almost half from 72 in 2012 to 38 in 2018.
  • Kickoff return yards are down 42.2 percent since 2011. That was the last season before the kickoff was moved from the 30 to the 35-yard line.
College football is sticking with the kickoff, but it may not be long before it becomes obsolete

I say 'yes'...DEFINITELY.

These players are paid nothing (other then scholarships) and kickoffs cause a TON of injuries.

Twenty-two men, averaging about 225 pounds, running at full speed, before they smash into each other is a great recipe for a hospital visit.

Thanks to the Alliance of American Football, we now know what the game without kickoffs looks like.

The AAF debuted last weekend without toe meeting pigskin following scores. Offenses simply took over at the 25-yard line. No high-speed blocks, tackles or collisions. Definitely no injuries.

"It felt a little awkward," said Atlanta Legends coach Kevin Coyle, a veteran of more than 40 college and pro seasons. "For me personally, it felt strange not to kickoff and cover the kick."

Whether college football is headed in the AAF's direction is up for debate. But eight years into the rule-changing procedure to limit kickoffs, we do know the impact they have on players are at historical lows.

• For the first time since the NCAA began tracking such numbers, less than half of all kickoffs -- only 42 percent -- were returned last season.
  • For at least the fifth straight year, touchbacks are up. The 2018 total of 4,273 was up almost 28 percent since 2013.
  • The total number of kickoffs returned for touchdowns is down almost half from 72 in 2012 to 38 in 2018.
  • Kickoff return yards are down 42.2 percent since 2011. That was the last season before the kickoff was moved from the 30 to the 35-yard line.

These players are paid nothing (other then scholarships) and kickoffs cause a TON of injuries.

Twenty-two men, averaging about 225 pounds, running at full speed before they smash into each other is a great recipe for a hospital visit.

The NCAA should start outright paying them kids for enriching their diploma factories.

I loved playing sports, I like watching sports. The politics of big business sicken me.

• Banned

Twenty-two men, averaging about 225 pounds, running at full speed before they smash into each other is a great recipe for a hospital visit.

The NCAA should start outright paying them kids for enriching their diploma factories.

I loved playing sports, I like watching sports. The politics of big business sicken me.

I agree completely except I don't mind big business politics that much.

It's not entirely the NCAA's fault for the present situation.

The fans could force the NCAA to share it's profits with the players easily...just boycott the games until they do.

But no, most fans care more about watching the sport than actually helping the players.

In a perfect world, they could try it in DIV II or in a specific conference and see what happens as far as crowd reaction, scoring, etc goes. I believe firmly in the law of unintended consequences. See what happens for a season or a weekend or whatever…. Then go from there.

But there is no powerful officiating body so it won’t happen in any way that is organized.

Kickoffs are exciting....stick your nose into something else....we like football the way it is.

The fans could force the NCAA to share it's profits with the players easily...just boycott the games until they do.

But no, most fans care more about watching the sport than actually helping the players.

The players are STUDENT athletes....free ride, room and board, books, and a stipend. University football programs fund almost all the rest of the sports at the school.....The NCAA does a terrific job and doesn't need you leftist pinheads messing with it....fuck off.

What kind of stupid does it take to pose a question like that?

Anyone that does should be dogpiled by the whole football team.

• Banned

The players are STUDENT athletes....free ride, room and board, books, and a stipend. University football programs fund almost all the rest of the sports at the school.....The NCAA does a terrific job and doesn't need you leftist pinheads messing with it....fuck off.

One - The NCAA does not make millions, dickhead...they make billions off of these players.

The NCAA Makes Billions, College Athletes Get Nothing. LaVar Ball Wants to Shake Up the System.

Two - will you stop watching NCAA football if they ban kickoffs? Yes or no?

Three - so you are for college players getting more concussions just for your amusement? Yes or No?

Concussions fall in Ivy League with kickoff tweak

And btw, moron brain, I have never voted for a Dem in my life. So how can I be a 'leftist'? You stupid morons and your 1970's insults.

Last edited:
Playing devil’s advocate….

No one is forced to play football – professional or amateur.

Those concerned about injury should simply not participate, allowing the sport to be played as intended.

Forum List

Back