Should student athletes be screened for heart problems?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Sen. Fred. H. Madden (D., Gloucester) said that on Thursday he would introduce the first of several bills to follow recommendations of the New Jersey Student Athlete Cardiac Screening Task Force, established in 2010 by legislation that Madden also sponsored. The task force report, made public in April, does not recommend electrocardiograms for all as part of the routine physicals required before students participate in school sports. Rather, it advocates doing a more thorough job of obtaining family medical histories to flag genetic heart defects and providing specialized training for the physicians and advanced-practice nurses who conduct sports physicals so they are vigilant for possible cardiac problems.

Student athletes whose family histories and medical exams place them at greater risk would then become candidates for electrocardiograms. The report also recommends requiring health-insurance plans to cover annual sports physicals focused on cardiac and musculoskeletal health. It also recommends having automatic external defibrillators close at hand during practice and competition and training coaches, teachers, athletes, and others involved in school sports how to use them.

Bill would expand athletes’ heart testing

100 student athletes die each year due to heart problems. I believe there was one in NJ last year.

Price tag?

Comments?

Good idea. Or how about if they just outlaw death?

There are over 600 school districts in NJ. I can't get my head around the math.

Could it be possible that the one kid who died in the pool might have died playing a video game instead?

How many potential athletes will be disqualified? Will denying a teenager a spot on the football team lead to drug use and or a sedentary lifestyle? And what happens when kids don't exercise?

This kind of shit makes me nuts.

Good idea. Or how about if they just outlaw death?

There are over 600 school districts in NJ. I can't get my head around the math.

Could it be possible that the one kid who died in the pool might have died playing a video game instead?

How many potential athletes will be disqualified? Will denying a teenager a spot on the football team lead to drug use and or a sedentary lifestyle? And what happens when kids don't exercise?

This kind of shit makes me nuts.

I am serious... they should just end all sports programs.How much is spent on school sports programs? Far to much in my opinion. Get rid of the sports programs and get rid of the liability issues....simple

If parents want their kids to play sports they are more then welcome to... why should public funds support it?

In my district, all 26 (or whatever number we have) high schools have two certified athletic trainers (ATC) on staff. The minimum requirement is a master's in athletic training. One attends football practice and games and is available by radio for illness and injuries for the other sports. There have been great strides recently in the recognition and treatment of everything from heat injuries to concussions.

More focus should be put on heart conditions for sure. One recommendation would be to require a more thorough exam with, as the article stated, EKG, detailed family history, and echocardiogram if indicated. Having CPR-AED trained people available with the AED is also crucial. I train 175 high school kids a year in CPR and we have several others who teach it or are certified to perform it.

High school activities are payed for mainly by booster and donated funds. This is the case even in wealthy jurisdictions. Sports and other activities are beneficial to academic success. There is dropoff in behavior and grades in athletes after their season, especially in football players.

Well I don't agree with syrenn about ending sports programs although I do believe they should be de-emphasized.

I am fairly certain there are already rules about screening, athletic trainers, and CPR. We also have ambulances at most games. But this goes way beyond that and opens up a flood of litigation if one of t's are not crossed. And that's probably the whole idea. Another gift to the ambulance chasers in the name of one dead kid.

Well I don't agree with syrenn about ending sports programs although I do believe they should be de-emphasized.

I am fairly certain there are already rules about screening, athletic trainers, and CPR. We also have ambulances at most games. But this goes way beyond that and opens up a flood of litigation if one of t's are not crossed. And that's probably the whole idea. Another gift to the ambulance chasers in the name of one dead kid.

My issue with sport's programs is that they only benefit a very small very select few. I believe money would be better spent on psychical fitness program that everyone would benefit from....of which liability issues would be dramatically decreased.

Should student athletes be screened for heart problems?

Yes

Should the parents pay for it? And if the parents sign off on their child playing sports and said child drops dead..... should they be able to sue the school for the death?
The student-athlete is required to obtain a sports physical from their private physician paid for by parents or insurance. My school also contracts with a physician to do physicals for 50 dollars per kid.

Sen. Fred. H. Madden (D., Gloucester) said that on Thursday he would introduce the first of several bills to follow recommendations of the New Jersey Student Athlete Cardiac Screening Task Force, established in 2010 by legislation that Madden also sponsored. The task force report, made public in April, does not recommend electrocardiograms for all as part of the routine physicals required before students participate in school sports. Rather, it advocates doing a more thorough job of obtaining family medical histories to flag genetic heart defects and providing specialized training for the physicians and advanced-practice nurses who conduct sports physicals so they are vigilant for possible cardiac problems.

Student athletes whose family histories and medical exams place them at greater risk would then become candidates for electrocardiograms. The report also recommends requiring health-insurance plans to cover annual sports physicals focused on cardiac and musculoskeletal health. It also recommends having automatic external defibrillators close at hand during practice and competition and training coaches, teachers, athletes, and others involved in school sports how to use them.

Bill would expand athletes’ heart testing

100 student athletes die each year due to heart problems. I believe there was one in NJ last year.

Price tag?

Comments?

No price tag.

Like consent slips..they should get a check up and note from the doctor saying they are fit enough to play sports.

It's basically on the parents.

Forum List

Back