Should student athletes be screened for heart problems?

No, that would be 'stupid solution.'
Troo dat. Whey duh kollege B giddin dem "afleets"

Just because you were always a hopeless little weakling is no reason to be such a bitter little pussy forever.

iron_ore-mining.jpg

:eusa_whistle:

Most European countries DO NOT HAVE scholastic sports. The sports programs are community based, and they thrive. Grade School and High School sports in the U.S. are a huge distraction from the theoretical purpose of the institutions, taking away time, attention, and money. Most students get no benefit whatsoever, in spite of the fact that the schools go to absurd lengths to make sports programs available (bizarre sports like field hockey, lacrosse, etc., "no-cut" policies, and so on).

If the taxpayers want to fund amateur sports programs for kids, they can do so with the facilities that are available, but the mission of the schools should be education, period.

And the same goes for colleges. If the NFL and the NBA need a feeder system for players, then they can create minor leagues, just like MLB does. But pretending that these jocks are real college students is a huge dose of hypocrisy that we could well do without.

Most European countries DO NOT HAVE scholastic sports. The sports programs are community based, and they thrive. Grade School and High School sports in the U.S. are a huge distraction from the theoretical purpose of the institutions, taking away time, attention, and money. Most students get no benefit whatsoever, in spite of the fact that the schools go to absurd lengths to make sports programs available (bizarre sports like field hockey, lacrosse, etc., "no-cut" policies, and so on).

If the taxpayers want to fund amateur sports programs for kids, they can do so with the facilities that are available, but the mission of the schools should be education, period.

And the same goes for colleges. If the NFL and the NBA need a feeder system for players, then they can create minor leagues, just like MLB does. But pretending that these jocks are real college students is a huge dose of hypocrisy that we could well do without.

Who cares what Europe does? What evidence can you show that kids get no benefits from sports? I teach and coach in high school and see year after year that kids involved in athletics, band, and other activities do better in the classroom.

Old Navy, you are right but wrong. For some young people, the self-discipline that is fostered by sports can carry through to the classroom. But that would apply to "club" sports as well, and there is no rational reason to have our schools permeated with sports-related nonsense.

One reason why we might look to Western Europe is that they do a much better job of primary and secondary education than we do. Although demographic plays a large part in our futility.

I agree that well managed/coached sports in the schools provide far more benefit to the kids than any harm that may result. I emphatically agree that students who are exposed to sports, music, theater, the other arts, chess clubs, math clubs, fly tyng clubs (I was actually president of our highschool fly tying club for awhile), Bible clubs, Christian Fellowship of Student Atheletes, etc. etc. etc. all provide an education and broadening of a student's horizons that almost without exception produce better academic performance and grades than when such activities are not made available to students.

I also think students participating in physically demanding sports should be required to bring a note from their doctor clearing them for the sport and, short of gross negligence, that should end any liability to the school re unforeseen physical consequences to the student.

And as for funding, I think every local community/school board should fund itself and choose how to do that whether asking the parents to chip in for their kid's activities or via some other means. Mr. Foxfyre and I spent a lot of years as boosters for the football team, the cross country team, the band, the debate club etc.

Last edited:

What a load of bullshit.

A) No one here (statistically speaking) gives a shit what they do or do not do in Europe regarding this matter.

B) American traditions are American traditions.

C) Anyone who cannot understand the value of athletics does not understand 'education.'

D) It sure seems as if 99% of those proposing to do away with athletics never excelled (to put it nicely) at sport - physically, mentally, or socially. I have never had a knack for music. Would that make it reasonable for me to propose ending all music programs in school?

E) It also seems that most of those opposed to, and incapable or unwilling of appreciating, sport are of the ilk who are hostile to many other manifestations of tradition and social cohesion in this country.

F) A great many student-athletes are among the best at BOTH at all levels of education.

G) The great majority of student athletes in both high school and college never go on to pro careers, and graduate often with academic honors. The stereotype that all athletes are dumb jocks is just the bitter sniping of adults who never got over the childhood trauma of realizing they aren't good at everything.

H) There are college baseball programs as well as football and basketball.

I) At the high school level, the families of students on sports teams already pay significant fees to support those programs (despite the fact that many high school programs actually bring in quite a bit of money to the school).

J) Many college sports programs bring in enormous amounts of money to their schools in various ways.

K) Field hockey and Lacrosse are hardly "bizarre" sports. It says a lot about the person who would so lable them.

L) A great many more students and faculty benefit from sports programs than just those on the starting team.

Last edited:
My issue with sport's programs is that they only benefit a very small very select few.

That is obviously not true.

Its painfully obviously that it is true. See any girls playing on the football team? Do they let the boys who want to play football...play in the games or do they not make the cut?

Don't be stupid. See any boys on the softball team? On the field hockey team? On the girls soccer team? Hell, you are starting to see more of such crossover in many sports where there isn't a boys team and a girls team. And lots of kids are members of teams even if they are not starting players.

Nothing more pathetic than the grown version of the weak, insecure little kid who only learned how to quit and resent.

I decided to check into the current regs regarding defibrillators, and it looks like all schools have at least one and coaches are trained to use them. But in a large school, there could 3 or 4 different games going on at the same time.

It was also curious that the stats for SCA in student athletes ranged from 15 per year in one article; to 7000 in another. I can post the links later if anyone is interested.

I also found information about "Janet's Law" - (another dead kid), that is pending. It will require AED training of ALL staff and AED equipment at ANY school sponsored event. Forgive my callousness, but I can not imagine teachers lugging this equipment around on every school trip or on every school bus. I'd like to know how many parents are AED or even CPR certified. It's insane.

Somebody's brother in law must sell these machines.

Its painfully obviously that it is true. See any girls playing on the football team? Do they let the boys who want to play football...play in the games or do they not make the cut?

Don't be stupid. See any boys on the softball team? On the field hockey team? On the girls soccer team? Hell, you are starting to see more of such crossover in many sports where there isn't a boys team and a girls team. And lots of kids are members of teams even if they are not starting players.

Nothing more pathetic than the grown version of the weak, insecure little kid who only learned how to quit and resent.

LOL... you wish. I did all that crap...and still have always seen it as a wast...even when i was in it...

I decided to check into the current regs regarding defibrillators, and it looks like all schools have at least one and coaches are trained to use them. But in a large school, there could 3 or 4 different games going on at the same time.

It was also curious that the stats for SCA in student athletes ranged from 15 per year in one article; to 7000 in another. I can post the links later if anyone is interested.

I also found information about "Janet's Law" - (another dead kid), that is pending. It will require AED training of ALL staff and AED equipment at ANY school sponsored event. Forgive my callousness, but I can not imagine teachers lugging this equipment around on every school trip or on every school bus. I'd like to know how many parents are AED or even CPR certified. It's insane.

As i said.... the easy solution is to end all sports programs.

LOL... you wish. I did all that crap...and still have always seen it as a wast[SIC]...even when i was in it...

...the grown version of the weak, insecure little kid who only learned how to quit and resent.

Not going to happen, so you can save yourself the trouble of repeating such a stupid idea over and over again.

If you worked in a school, you'd probably feel differently. For some kids, it's the only reason they attend. And for others, it just keeps them straight. Our football coach requires weekly progress reports for all the players. Bad report and they are benched. (of course some parents are demanding he be fired for it, but that's another story...)

Many schools do focus more on athletics than academics, but they can go hand in hand.

If this law goes through, a lot of healthy kids may be disqualified. Shame.

My issue with sport's programs is that they only benefit a very small very select few.

It actrually is true. But its not a good reason to end them.

Different kids respond to different stimuli. For some kids its sports, for others its band, for others its chess club or debate club or drama club.

All of these programs helps kids in measurable ways. But each program seperately only benefits a small percentage of the kids. Taken as a whole however, those programs help ALOT of kids and they should all be funded.

I think the disconnect for some is when they look at the budgets of each individual group and fail to make the rational connection that sports requiresmore equipment than the other activities so therefore they need more money.

To the original topic,

When I went out for football in high school, we were required to get a physical and bring in a note from our doctor saying we were cleared for play, before we could even try out for the team.

In my opinion, the question shouldnt be should kids in sports be screened but should the annual physicals include heart screenings.

Last edited:
Good idea. Or how about if they just outlaw death?

There are over 600 school districts in NJ. I can't get my head around the math.

Could it be possible that the one kid who died in the pool might have died playing a video game instead?

How many potential athletes will be disqualified? Will denying a teenager a spot on the football team lead to drug use and or a sedentary lifestyle? And what happens when kids don't exercise?

This kind of shit makes me nuts.

I am serious... they should just end all sports programs.How much is spent on school sports programs? Far to much in my opinion. Get rid of the sports programs and get rid of the liability issues....simple

If parents want their kids to play sports they are more then welcome to... why should public funds support it?

One of our local high schools has no sports....except chess.

Some of the teachers have said that the high energy kids opt for schools with sports....but the result is the discipline problems are cut way down.....

It actrually is true.

It is not. Take the football team at your average US high school, for example. It is not only the team captains that benefit, not only the starting teams, not only the JVs, not only the other kids on the team who are basically backups, not only the cheerleading squad, not only the marching band that plays at halftime, not only the majorettes, not only the kids at the pep rallies, not only the students in the stands at the game cheering on their school and fostering a sense of school pride and community coherence and continuity with the parents and alumni there alongside them, not only the coaches and staff, friends, family, etc.

Forum List

Back