Should Libertarians be against prisons?

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
I realize prison can be a punishment, but don't they really serve to protect the rest of us from the bad guys?

It seems it would make more sense from a libertarian stand point to arm everyone and let them mete out punishment whenever they feel threatened.

It would save a lot of taxpayer money, as well.

I realize prison can be a punishment, but don't they really serve to protect the rest of us from the bad guys?

It seems it would make more sense from a libertarian stand point to arm everyone and let them mete out punishment whenever they feel threatened.

:eusa_eh:

Rav here you go lumping everyone into one label again.

Like every single libertarian has the same exact position on EVERYTHING.

The constitution allows for a justice system, and prison is a part of that.

The 8th amendment protects citizens from UNUSUAL punishment, which jailing would not be considered.

More often than not, you confuse a libertarian with an anarchist. A classical liberal, as I would prefer to think of myself as, is nothing close to an anarchist.

I feel threatened by you.
I should kill you and save internet bandwidth. :lol:

Many of us would advocate privatizing prisons so they're not leeches on the taxpayer, but no prisons do not go against the libertarian ideology.

That would probably be the "hardcore" libertarian ideal, but it seem impractical in today's society. You have to make some compromises.

That would probably be the "hardcore" libertarian ideal, but it seem impractical in today's society. You have to make some compromises.

I've never seen a libertarian, hardcore or otherwise, advocate getting rid of prisons so that prisoners can roam free forcing everyone else to arm and defend themselves.

I don't have a problem with sending violent people to prison, a person doing a drug, gambling, prostitution or whatever to jail/prison is a real waste and assault on individual freedoms though,imho.

MOST libertarians would have no problem sending anyone to jail for committing a crime that intrudes upon another's rights.

Vice type 'crimes', however, fall into a different category and that's where a lot of libertarians separate from your average liberal or conservative of today.

Forum List

Back