Should Atheists Be Tax Exempt?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by HUGGY, Feb 17, 2011.

1. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Some atheists actually preach the wisdom of believing in their fellow man. They preach that the origin of life can and is found in science and not some make believe being.

I cannot speak for any other atheist but I know my belief system is every bit as honest, sincere and true as any on earth. I have put in the work to know what I know and share my belief often and usually with respect to others beliefs.

That said every atheist that shares his or her beliefs is a preacher in his own right if he or she has come to that belief honestly is just as devote as any priest in any religion.

So ....should an actively vocal atheist enjoy the same tax status as any other preacher?

2. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Hi Huggy,

Good question. I think that people who swear that atheists are a religion should make sure that atheists have the same tax exempt status as religions do.

Personally, I don't consider atheism a religion, do you?

3. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    You have to get a church first, but after that, I don't see why not?

4. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    The Atheist Church, now there's an oxymoron.

5. HUGGY

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Hey there!

The word "religion" has somewhat of a bad taste for atheists as much as the word "atheist" has for believers in God. BUT..the real reason for the separation is the disagreement in principals. Is Buddhism a religion? Scientology? I have come to the conclusion that it being "religion" is a question of passing on or teaching one's belief to others. If a follower of Christ never sets foot in a church or shares his belief is he or she a member of a religion?

6. HUGGY

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Did Jesus have a church? I do not believe he did. He simply shared his belief with others as he went through life.

I do not think a physical address is as important as the sincerity of the belief and if one shares that belief.

I don't know who in the government decides these things but I would think a "mission statement" and evidence of sharing one's belief should be enough.

7. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    Preachers are not tax exempt...churches are....go ahead and start your own church, and promote the well being of your area. Provide free lunches to the homeless, a community supper once a week. Open your church during the winter and provide shelter to the homeless and I'm all for granting you tax exemptions.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Hmm. I would say that if a follower of Christ never sets foot in a church and keeps his beliefs to himself he is still practicing the religion of Christianity, even if he is not affiliated with any congregation.

As to whether Scientology is a religion, I'm the wrong person to ask. I have my doubts since it's all based on a science fiction writer's gobbledygook. I can't say I have alot of respect for Scientology. Nonetheless, if it brings anyone a measure of peace, who am I to judge?

Regarding Buddhism, Buddhists debate amongst ourselves as to whether Buddhism is a religion or a way of life. I think it depends on how you define religion. I define it as spiritual teachings or principles and spiritual practices, not necessarily something that has an institution connected with it.

If atheists pass on their reasoning, does that make them a religion by your definition?

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Naah atheists should not be tax emempt and neither should any actual religion be tax exmept.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    You make an interesting argument for permitting anyone with a mission statement and evidence of sharing one's beliefs to gain tax exempt status.

Nobody wants to pay taxes. This is one of the more creative ideas I've heard in a long time.