Should 401k TAX EXEMPT DONATIONS be capped at $2400 instead of the current $18,000 per year?

We should give the money to the government to safeguard for our retirement?????????????????????????????????????????????? Fuck no!

??? Do you know what a 401K is and what it is not?

Income taxes are deferred on your 401k contributions, so you make money on both your money and the deferred taxes. Also when you do retire and begin withdrawing money from your 401k you are likely to be at a lower tax bracket, again resulting in more money for your retirement. That bozo Pelosi doesn't want to wait for people to retire to get her hands on the income tax money, she want's it right now so she can spend it.

Christ people DC has already spent every dime you sent them, plus borrowed another $20 trillion and spent that. They have forced us to contribute HUGE sums of money to Social Security, which they have raided multiple times and have no way of paying us back OUR money. So now they want to screw us out of the social security benefits we were forced to purchase via raising the retirement age and hoping most people die before they can collect a dime.

That's the line if you believe it but in reality you have no control over what tax bracket you will be in. The government tell you what you MUST withdraw every year so if you were a diligent saver you might end up in a higher bracket than you think.

And if you don't take out what the government tells you to you get fucked up the ass without lube by 50% penalties.

AVERAGE retirees will be in a lower bracket. Yes some may end up paying in a higher bracket, we all should be so lucky to make more money retired than when working. And yes at some point government forces you to make withdrawals so it can get its greedy hands on the money.

I'd fix governments ass on the 401k's, I'd pass legislation making them tax free then government won't get jack shit how'd they like that, fuckers.

The tax break for IRAs/401ks incentivizes people in the middle and lower incomes to save money that they're going to need when they hit retirement cuz the SSA and/or their pension plans might not be paying them in the future as advertised. It is a very good idea, and yes it should be capped to something like $18-24k cuz the rich guys don't need it. We don't have a tax and revenue problem, we have a spending problem that nobody has the guts to do anything about. All you kids out there under 50, you're fucked but most of you don't know it yet.

401ks are a crock of dogshit. It's another human controlling your money, like social security is.

Suuuure you can borrow some of..your own money. For a penalty.........

ermmkayy

They pay pretty good interest from what I understand.

It's not an option for me. :(

There are other similar options though.

401ks are a crock of dogshit. It's another human controlling your money, like social security is.

ermmkayy

Depends on the plan. We can borrow from ours but we have to pay it back with after tax money.

The tax break for IRAs/401ks incentivizes people in the middle and lower incomes to save money that they're going to need when they hit retirement cuz the SSA and/or their pension plans might not be paying them in the future as advertised. It is a very good idea, and yes it should be capped to something like $18-24k cuz the rich guys don't need it. We don't have a tax and revenue problem, we have a spending problem that nobody has the guts to do anything about. All you kids out there under 50, you're fucked but most of you don't know it yet.
Im sure we will be fine. The sun will still rise, etc etc

ermmkayy
I find it hard to disagree with that, honestly.
However, having dollar for dollar matched by my employer is the awesome! Thats why i started mine lol. Considering my massive gains the last year in a half, id say it wasnt a bad decision.
Of course, i could lose it all tomorrow :/

• Thanks
Reactions: GT

Yeah, but there's a lot of people that are somewhat less fortunate than you and me. The future will arrive fr them as you say but it may not be very pleasant.

Yeah, but there's a lot of people that are somewhat less fortunate than you and me. The future will arrive fr them as you say but it may not be very pleasant.
So has it been for all of history.

So has it been for all of history.

True, but an IRA/401k with a hefty cap allows you to prepare better for that day when you stop working, voluntarily or otherwise. I would far rather see the gov't making do without that revenue and offering many people at least the option to save for their future. I am somewhat unimpressed with the gov'ts efficiency and effectiveness in spending our tax dollars.

Last edited:
We should give the money to the government to safeguard for our retirement?????????????????????????????????????????????? Fuck no!

Income taxes are deferred on your 401k contributions, so you make money on both your money and the deferred taxes. Also when you do retire and begin withdrawing money from your 401k you are likely to be at a lower tax bracket, again resulting in more money for your retirement. That bozo Pelosi doesn't want to wait for people to retire to get her hands on the income tax money, she want's it right now so she can spend it.

Christ people DC has already spent every dime you sent them, plus borrowed another $20 trillion and spent that. They have forced us to contribute HUGE sums of money to Social Security, which they have raided multiple times and have no way of paying us back OUR money. So now they want to screw us out of the social security benefits we were forced to purchase via raising the retirement age and hoping most people die before they can collect a dime.
Okay. You do know what a 401K is. TY for clearing that up.

The OP doesn't ask about anything Pelosi has said about 401K plans. What does what she has to say about them have to do with what I or any other member here answering the OP's question think about the question that the OP-er asked? I'm certainly not going to form my normative opinion about the cap based on what she or any other individual says or thinks of the matter. Sure, my "ultimate" answer -- yes or no -- may be the same as that of others, but my basis for arriving at that "final answer" has nothing to do with what others have to say/think of the matter.

Given that I, presumably most people, form my opinions based on my analysis of a matter, I'm still trying to figure out what point there is to your introducing what Pelosi (others?) have to say about. Are you saying that you oppose lowering the cap because Pelosi wants to lower it? If that's your reason for having the stance you do, well, okay....The OP only asks for a "final" answer and one's reasons for having that answer. If that be yours, I have nothing to say about that because, AFAIK, the OP/title merely entreats us to share our views, not debate their merit(s). Accordingly, the OP strikes me as a simple inquiry rather than as a discussion/debate rubric.

(Were this an academically and socratically discursive setting, sure, I'd think of the OP/title question as a bid for an argumentative essay (or something like one), but this isn't such a setting; thus, insofar as the OP-er didn't share his own position on the matter, I interpreted the questions as reflections of nothing more than mere curiosity, perhaps a quest to obtain some new ideas, about what others think on the matter.)

Were I to have my way, there'd be no cap at all

Its capped otherwise the left would wail like a stuck pig claiming it was a loophole for the 'rich'.

That really has nothing to do with the question. The OP-er asked what we think; my post indicates what I think. I've thus answered the question posed as it is posed. The why's and wherefores about what someone else may think of the cap's origins or intended purposes have nothing to do with my answer, and neither did the OP-er "color" his OP so much as even by alluding (obliquely or clearly) to the whys and wherefores; thus they also have nothing to do with his question.

Its called a discussion thread not a question and answer thread. Lets talk facts...FACT the government is one again kicking the idea around about how to take OUR money and spend it FACT!
Yes, and had the OP included some set of facts, details, qualities, etc., something beyond a question and that can therefore be used to point to a specific theme for a would-be discussion, I might then address those elements or some of them. Insofar as the OP and title do nothing but ask neutrally phrased questions about what be our position on the matter and why we have it, there is no basis for inferring what having to do with 401Ks the OP-er wants to discuss, or whether he even wants to have a discussion.

The OP doesn't ask about anything Pelosi has said about 401K plans. What does what she has to say about them have to do with what I or any other member here answering the OP's question think about the question that the OP-er asked? I'm certainly not going to form my normative opinion about the cap based on what she or any other individual says or thinks of the matter. Sure, my "ultimate" answer -- yes or no -- may be the same as that of others, but my basis for arriving at that "final answer" has nothing to do with what others have to say/think of the matter.

Given that I, presumably most people, form my opinions based on my analysis of a matter, I'm still trying to figure out what point there is to your introducing what Pelosi (others?) have to say about. Are you saying that you oppose lowering the cap because Pelosi wants to lower it? If that's your reason for having the stance you do, well, okay....The OP only asks for a "final" answer and one's reasons for having that answer. If that be yours, I have nothing to say about that because, AFAIK, the OP/title merely entreats us to share our views, not debate their merit(s). Accordingly, the OP strikes me as a simple inquiry rather than as a discussion/debate rubric.

(Were this an academically and socratically discursive setting, sure, I'd think of the OP/title question as a bid for an argumentative essay (or something like one), but this isn't such a setting; thus, insofar as the OP-er didn't share his own position on the matter, I interpreted the questions as reflections of nothing more than mere curiosity, perhaps a quest to obtain some new ideas, about what others think on the matter.)

Yes, my point was if government is going to reduce our long term 401k retirement savings by taking the income taxes now vs deferring them, then they have to use part of the money to replace the lost retirement funds down the road. I'm 99.99% certain that's not going to happen, they will spend it all.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg, choke off 401k contributions to the stock and bond markets and what will happen? Even I am amazed at how dumb DC is sometimes.

Were I to have my way, there'd be no cap at all

Its capped otherwise the left would wail like a stuck pig claiming it was a loophole for the 'rich'.

That really has nothing to do with the question. The OP-er asked what we think; my post indicates what I think. I've thus answered the question posed as it is posed. The why's and wherefores about what someone else may think of the cap's origins or intended purposes have nothing to do with my answer, and neither did the OP-er "color" his OP so much as even by alluding (obliquely or clearly) to the whys and wherefores; thus they also have nothing to do with his question.

Its called a discussion thread not a question and answer thread. Lets talk facts...FACT the government is one again kicking the idea around about how to take OUR money and spend it FACT!
Yes, and had the OP included some set of facts, details, qualities, etc., something beyond a question and that can therefore be used to point to a specific theme for a would-be discussion, I might then address those elements or some of them. Insofar as the OP and title do nothing but ask neutrally phrased questions about what be our position on the matter and why we have it, there is no basis for inferring what having to do with 401Ks the OP-er wants to discuss, or whether he even wants to have a discussion.

I helped the OP by fixing his thread. :biggrin:

That's the line if you believe it but in reality you have no control over what tax bracket you will be in. The government tell you what you MUST withdraw every year so if you were a diligent saver you might end up in a higher bracket than you think.

And if you don't take out what the government tells you to you get fucked up the ass without lube by 50% penalties.
There are also people who know that, barring major calamity, they will be in what is qualitatively the same tax bracket when they retire as they were in during their years of employment.

There are also people who may never retire. Take the parents of one of my closest friends. Outwardly, they seem like retired people -- they don't go to work everyday and they are old. Be that as it may, they, my friend, and a few other folks are the owners of their company; thus they are not retired (as go tax filing statuses) and their income derived from the operations of their company carries the same tax classification now as it did when they "went to work everyday."

Yes, my point was if government is going to reduce our long term 401k retirement savings by taking the income taxes now vs deferring them, then they have to use part of the money to replace the lost retirement funds down the road. I'm 99.99% certain that's not going to happen, they will spend it all.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg, choke off 401k contributions to the stock and bond markets and what will happen? Even I am amazed at how dumb DC is sometimes.

my point was if government is going to reduce our long term 401k retirement savings by taking the income taxes now vs deferring them, then they have to use part of the money to replace the lost retirement funds down the road.

Well, no such objective obligation exists; however, construing the emboldened text as an inaptly presented normative statement, I accept that is what you think ought to happen. Is it appropriate to construe your statement as normative rather than as positive?

choke off 401k contributions to the stock and bond markets and what will happen?

Cap or no cap, at the end of the day, a 401K is merely a vehicle for investing one's money. The need to do that, regardless of the extent to which any money placed in a 401K is tax deferred, is clear and present. One may or may not do it via a 401K, but one needs to do it somehow. A 401K is merely an easy way to do it, and the money one directs that way happens to have a tax advantaged status. This fact must be taken into consideration when pondering any of the potential outcomes noted below, as well as those not noted below.

A variety of things may happen, though I'm not of a mind to declare those things as inherently and on a macroeconomic level good or bad. Moreover, whether and the extent to which they will happen is far from certain.
  • Trading volume --> It's reasonable to expect a decline in trading volumes for all financial instruments because 401Ks make it possible to commingle money from millions of individuals who may otherwise not purchase such instruments. How big the drop in volume would be and what impact it'd have is open to question, though there are without question instruments, those beyond the reach of moderate income earners, that will be offered less frequently.
  • Individual deposit accounts most likely increase in number and average daily balance. This is a rather certain outcome because even though "typical" individuals may continue to save for their dotage, inasmuch as they often don't have enough money to outright purchase certain financial instruments (high priced stock/bonds, foreign stocks or bonds, etc.) they will necessarily have to store their money somewhere while they amass it to eventually acquire a given lot of stocks, bonds, and/or other investment devices.
    • The increase in deposit account activity and balances will make more money available to be lent to small and medium size borrowers. That will serve as a supply-side impetus for keeping interest rates lower than they otherwise would be. (Keep in mind that interest rates are a function of many things; what's noted here is but one of them.)
  • Defined benefit pension plans --> We may see pension plans become more popular and offered more often than they are currently.
  • 401K Leakage losses will be lower.
  • Overall retirement savings rate --> The cap really only affects relatively high earners, or more modest earners who have few financial obligations. If the cap is lowered to a sum approximating the average or median total contribution, there's likely little real impact on the broader market.
  • Hedge funds, mutual funds, and other money management organizations --> There could quite likely be fewer of them -- fewer new ones created and/or fewer of them than exist currently -- and the business model of those that remain will change.
Those are some of the potential and foreseeable impacts of lowering the cap on lowering the cap on the tax deferred status of 401K contributions.

Why or why not?
I would argue no caps of any kind. Lends itself to people being responsible and saving for their own retirement instead of expecting Uncle Sam to.
Yea, let the fukers get old and starve It's what they get for having families.

In fact, why even have an army. What are we protecting. Just fuk everything. Every man for himself.
Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

I fully support taking care of those who cannot take care of themselves (ie. the elderly). I do not, however, support taking care of those who CHOOSE to not take care of themselves. There is a difference.

Your post, in response to mine, is a very clear example of why a real exchange of ideas, and debate thereof, is so difficult in our current political climate.

AVERAGE retirees will be in a lower bracket. Yes some may end up paying in a higher bracket, we all should be so lucky to make more money retired than when working. And yes at some point government forces you to make withdrawals so it can get its greedy hands on the money.

I'd fix governments ass on the 401k's, I'd pass legislation making them tax free then government won't get jack shit how'd they like that, fuckers.

Like I said you have no control over what tax bracket you will be in if you think you can live on 30K and the fucking government tells you that you have to withdraw 50K you better do it or get penalized up the ass and you wind up paying taxes on money you don't need to use and you miss out on the growth of that money that might help you stretch your retirement even farther. But as I said these plans are designed to squeeze every tax dollar possible out of retirees

Look a qualified plan is not as good as the government makes it out to be. In fact you'd be better off investing that money after taxes at least then you would actually have control over your own money

ermmkayy
I find it hard to disagree with that, honestly.
However, having dollar for dollar matched by my employer is the awesome! Thats why i started mine lol. Considering my massive gains the last year in a half, id say it wasnt a bad decision.
Of course, i could lose it all tomorrow :/
Usually it's dollar for dollar up to a certain percentage.

If that is the case then do not contribute one cent more than you have to to max out the match then either put money into a Roth IRA if you qualify if you don't then invest any additional money after taxes in a private portfolio

Forum List

Back