Shortened Australian Lithgow #1 MK III* Enfield

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
OK, I know this is a fantasy rifle but whoever did the conversion it did a really nice job on the wood/metal. The barrel was shortened to 20". Very handy. Excellent bore.

In it's .mil life it was made in 1918, refurbed in 1939, and issued to 3rd Military District (Southern Command, Victoria, Australia). (3MD)

Lithgow did produce 100 examples of a experimental shortened .22 SMLE but they never entered production.....Looks the same except there was no rear leaf sight or protector and it used a rear peep sight built into the charging bridge and a full length solid top handguard.

l-001-2-jpg.4041555

L 002 (2).JPG

Whoever it was did a hell of a nice job on that one!

Whoever it was did a hell of a nice job on that one!
Years ago there was a gunsmith the next county over that did that kind of work. Mostly Garand "tanker" conversions. I know he did Enfields too as he sold a local shop three of them that he did. All were #1 MK IIIs and one guy bought all three of them.

I suspect it's one of his but the last I heard of him he closed down and moved to WV. Hell that must have been 15-20 years ago and they were near 1K a pop then.....I gave $400.00 for this one and was damn glad to get it at that price.....Off the charts cool factor. ;)

Forum List

Back