Short-Sale Ban Is Likely to Be Extended Beyond Thursday

Discussion in 'Economy' started by NOBama, Oct 1, 2008.

1. NOBama

NOBama Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173
    By Charlie Gasparino On-Air Editor (CNBC)

Excerpt:

Full article

2. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,336
    Yeah, the only time regulation is used is when it's in the best interest of the establishment.

Why don't they give investors one good reason why they shouldn't be shorting the financial market. These banks are insolvent anyway. They're going down with or WITHOUT their shares being short sold.

3. NOBama

NOBama Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Full article

Patiently, I wait.

4. gonegolfin

gonegolfin Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Actually, I think that the short ban will backfire on the regulators (and probably already is). Non-naked short selling does provide important liquidity to the markets. It is also an essential tool for hedge funds that are significantly net long. Short positions are used to hedge large long positions. I use put options often to hedge reasonably large equity stakes in Gold, Silver, and Energy equities. I think that you will see this result in hedge funds being much less likely to jump back into the market on the long side (if they cannot hedge their long bets). In the meantime, there will be more losses for the hedge funds as they will be forced to sell good assets (and many long positions) to raise cash for redemptions. I think this is one of the reasons why we have seen big sell-offs on the Comex in Gold and Silver. One other reason is big shorting by JP Morgan and possibly one other big bank.

This is one type of intervention in the world's tightly coupled financial markets that is having unintended consequences. I will discuss another unintended consequence in the $700 billion bailout plan that will likely make the credit situation for corporations in this country even worse, in my next writing.

Brian