Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey, Jr... Part Two...

bayoubill

aka Sheik Yerbouti...
Dec 30, 2008
Cajun Country
was a fun romp...

my only complaint is that the evil genius, Moriarty, could have been much more effectively conveyed... even the holodeck of the TV show "Star Trek: Next Generation" did a better job with Moriarty...

but the movie moves fast... and it was easy to overlook any shortcomings until after the movie was over...

I'd easily give it a B+...

They should have made less CGI and more story.
Portraying Sherlock Holmes as some kind of super-Karate man who foresees every move in a fight is also silly.

They should have made less CGI and more story.
Portraying Sherlock Holmes as some kind of super-Karate man who foresees every move in a fight is also silly.

After having watched and enjoyed so many methodical story-based interpretations by the great Basil Rathbone and, in particular, the illuminous Jeremy Brett, I don't at all mind this free-wheeling fast-paced action-packed comic book version of Holmes... my only wish is that they had made Moriarty less a cardboard figure and more a formidably evil and daunting presence...

Last edited:
One of best atmospheres of a movie about characters playing in "pre-modern" times was displayed in Bram Stoker's Dracula with Gary Oldman.
They should've made these Sherlock Holmes videos more like that Dracula movie - and free of comedy.

I expect a Sherlock Holmes to be modeled after a character who solves problems with intelligence and brain. The plots of both part 1+2 were very weak.
They should've hired a better story-writer.

And if I want to see a movie where lead character prevails more through his physical abilities I expect that movie to be titled "Batman" and not Sherlock Holmes.
They could've done much more with the "Sherlock Holmes" story.

One of best atmospheres of a movie about characters playing in "pre-modern" times was displayed in Bram Stoker's Dracula with Gary Oldman.
They should've made these Sherlock Holmes videos more like that Dracula movie - and free of comedy.

I expect a Sherlock Holmes to be modeled after a character who solves problems with intelligence and brain. The plots of both part 1+2 were very weak.

And if I want to see a movie where lead character prevails more through his physical abilities I expect that movie to be titled "Batman" and not Sherlock Holmes.

I can't disagree with you on the points you raised... but I still enjoyed the movie...

btw... you mentioned Gary Oldman... I dunno 'bout you, but I'm a big fan of practically anything Oldman does...

We liked it. Fave part was the chess game.

yep, that was good...

also loved the nonplussed yet affectionate attitude that Watson (Law) and Holmes (Downey) had towards each other... particularly the ever-suffering Watson's...

I agree completely.

All of the old Sherlock Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone evoke an atmosphere this Downey effort not only fails to emulate but doesn't even seem to try. For one thing, like certain art photographs, the desired atmosphere of certain movie genre can only be rendered in black & white. The difference in attempting it in color is like the difference between a dream state and full consciousness. That deficiency, alone, was cause for me to thumb away from the Downey/Sherlock nonsense within just a few minutes of utter disappointment.

Don't know bout you gyz but Downey gives me the creeps. There is really something wrong with that guy.
I didn't watch the movie long enough to offer a substantive comment. But Downey has a history of serious drug addiction, which, regardlesss of how "successful" one's "recovery" might be, drug damage to the brain is not repairable and, as with alcoholics, effects on the personality remain subtly apparent. The perception of "something wrong" is not uncommon.

I saw a few episodes of a modern day Sherlock on PBS. The first one describes how Sherlock met Watson, a veteran of Afghanistan.

Forum List

Back