Sex on the Sabbath

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Bet some religious people would think sex on the holy day of the week is sinful or disrespectful. Yet, Judaism says sex on the Sabbath is especially blessed and strongly encourages it.

"According to Mishna Ketubot (5.1),

The times for conjugal duty prescribed in the Torah are: for men of independence, every day; for laborers, twice a week; for ass-drivers, once a week; for camel-drivers, once in thirty days; for sailors, once in six months. These are the rulings of R. Eliezer.

The Babylonian Talmud (Ketubot 62b) elaborates that the designated time for scholars to engage in physical intimacy with their wives is Friday night:

How often are scholars to perform their marital duties? Rav Judah in the name of Samuel replied: “Every Friday night…” Judah the son of R. Hiyya and son-in-law of R. Jannai would spend all his time in the schoolhouse but every Sabbath eve he came home.

In this passage, the Talmud indicates no awareness that the Sabbath is a time of sexual abstinence. To the contrary, marital intimacy is encouraged and making time for it on the Sabbath is praised."
Intimacy on Shabbat Was it always a Mitzvah - TheTorah.com

What's a 'man of independence' and how do I become one? :)

I think I'll take up being a Christian, a Jew and a Muslim.
I can then have sex on three Sabbaths.

Bet some religious people would think sex on the holy day of the week is sinful or disrespectful. Yet, Judaism says sex on the Sabbath is especially blessed and strongly encourages it.

The times for conjugal duty prescribed in the Torah are: for men of independence, every day; for laborers, twice a week; for ass-drivers, once a week; for camel-drivers, once in thirty days; for sailors, once in six months. These are the rulings of R. Eliezer.

The Babylonian Talmud (Ketubot 62b) elaborates that the designated time for scholars to engage in physical intimacy with their wives is Friday night:

How often are scholars to perform their marital duties? Rav Judah in the name of Samuel replied: “Every Friday night…” Judah the son of R. Hiyya and son-in-law of R. Jannai would spend all his time in the schoolhouse but every Sabbath eve he came home.

In this passage, the Talmud indicates no awareness that the Sabbath is a time of sexual abstinence. To the contrary, marital intimacy is encouraged and making time for it on the Sabbath is praised."

Just curious here ....... are you keeping up with how long it's been since your train left the station without you? ........ curious minds want to know ........ and, obviously, your luggage was onboard when it pulled out of the station .........

Just curious here ....... are you keeping up with how long it's been since your train left the station without you? ........ curious minds want to know ........ and, obviously, your luggage was onboard when it pulled out of the station .........

Sex is a big part of every religion. Hard to have worshippers if no one's getting busy. :)

I suppose that if you consider sex to be work you might be in violation of the 4th Commandment if you have sex on the Sabbath. Of course, if you say “My god” when you climax you might be in violation of the 3rd Commandment as well.

I suppose that if you consider sex to be work you might be in violation of the 4th Commandment if you have sex on the Sabbath. Of course, if you say “My god” when you climax you might be in violation of the 3rd Commandment as well.

Did you pay a VAT on the condom while you were doing this? And since you were working, was this a union labor event?

Principle number..oh, who cares about numbers?

Sex is bad (unless it's done right, then it's good).

Did you pay a VAT on the condom while you were doing this? And since you were working, was this a union labor event?
They just has sex and they're in labor already?

They just has sex and they're in labor already?

It is always a bit of extra work for one of the participants...

Forum List

Back