September 11

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
So, this movie is finally getting released in the US. This is the one, if you'll remember, that first came out around the world last summer, everywhere except the US, because some people protested that it was negative towards America. This really bugged me, and I'm glad to see it's finally getting released.

It's 11 short films that are 11 minutes long apiece and each was made by a director from a different nation

From what I hear, the only "un-American" part of it is a film that draws some parallels between 9/11, and September 11, 1973, when the American military overthrew the Chilean democratic government and replaced it with right-wing dictator Pinochet, who ruled with torture and terror. Basically the point of that movie, apparently, is "do unto others...", and I can't say I'm really offended by the idea.

Anyway, most people are saying the best film of them all is one I've actually seen, it's by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu from Mexico. The screen is pretty much blank for the majority of the 11 minutes, flashing occasionally on a short shot of a body falling through the sky. For the most part, we are forced to use our imagination as far as the visuals go, and any five-year-old will tell you, the scariest things are the ones you don't see. The director somehow got really disturbing and depressing sound clips. Aside from the planes flying into the buildings and various news clips, we hear panicked calls to loved ones from inside the planes ("we have a little problem on the plane... I just wanted to say I love you." That gave me chills just thinking about that part) and inside the buildings. We continually hear muffled thuds, and we begin to realize this is the sounds of bodies hitting the ground. At the end, we hear the buildings collapsing FROM THE INSIDE. You hear each floor give out, really creepy when you think this was the last thing anyone in the building heard. This thing was really disturbing, to the point that I don't know if I'd want to watch it again, to be honest.

But, yeah, this looks pretty good. Probably won't play anywhere near me, though.

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.

The best one I've seen so far is the documentary. It was following the training of a new firefighter and they were actually filming downtown and they caught the now infamous clip of the plane buzzing over head. The station they were from is just a short way from where the towers stood, so you got to see that day in it's entirety from that stations perspective. Lots of live footage from inside the towers just afterwards. They show inside the one tower as the other one collapsed.

I own it, but forgot the name of it. I'll get the name if anyone is interested.

I forget the name of it, but that's the one that aired on CBS. I didn't watch it, only because it aired only a couple months after 9/11, and I was... I don't wanna make this sound insensitive, but I was burned out on the footage. I knew if I watched too much of it, it would either mess me up in the head, or desensitize me to it. However, probably the best doc. I saw on it was the one HBO aired, very emotional. It was just called 9/11 or something simple like that.

Wasn't that the film that the Brother's did together??? if so, excellent. Though, Carlos that guy I works with has a copy of the tape that they filmed over at Staten Island of the belt running with body parts and all on it. This I found to be sick and how anyone would even have wanted to watch it.

Yeah, the summer after it happened, we were all out on the Island. We got on the subject being right in our faces is a view of were the towers once stood. Anyway, he was telling me that his buddy that was over at the dumps filmed it, think a fireman, not sure, but they had to, and they got everything. I asked him how could he watch it, but he said he did and that's just to get him even more pissed for what happened. He feels that the news should just keep on going about it, so the people can keep staying pissed and stand by what has to be done. Well, whatever! I just couldn't watch something like that.

Not to start an argument here, just my opinion, but I think if the media kept on and on with it, eventually people would stop caring. Just like the OJ trial, pretty early on, people stopped giving a crap about the fact that two people were brutally killed.

I agree! yes, people should remember, but to go on and on about it, it only brings up the bad again, and you don't want to keep re-living it. Just the other day they started up with it again, and I turned it off. I know next week is the day, and they are having kids read off the names of all the victims this year, that's what I heard anyway. Well, they had to show the planes again, and it was just pouring salt in an open wound, and leave it.

That's gross Chuck! why would you want to see body parts and personal items runnig down a belt??? you damn Jackass! :)

Faces of Death is mostly fake. And the majority of the real stuff I've seen from those aren't the results of mass tragedies like this (not very recent ones, anyway). Of course, I've only seen one or two of them, but I've seen lots of clips taken from there on Ogrish and the like.

I didn't know that. I watched Faces of Death I and II... it was back in highschool & I didn't like it but watched anway.

Those were fake?? I'll never forget the poor bastard that parachuted into 'Gator-O-Rama'.. I know that was for real, but what ones weren't?

Actually, don't answer that... I've forgotten the rest, except for the cult-monkey-killing-scene, so I don't wanna know.

Truly some disturbing stuff.

Hey, don't forget about how those tribes hung the woman by their nipples on hooks, that to me was gross. The monkey, I can't even begin to think that might have been fake, how? and yes, very very disturbing

THe monkey was fake, it even looks fake when you watch it. Not that it's not just a disturbing idea, but yeah, the only real stuff in the first one was the plane crash aftermath and the dead bodies in the morgue (did they show an autopsy in that one? if so, it was real, too).

Traces of Death, from what I hear, is the most real video you can get. Unless you go to Japan, they've got the sickest stuff in the world over there.

Forum List

Back