Senator Obama's Magical Media Tour

The BKP

Grand Inquistor
Jul 15, 2008
As the Obama Magical Media World Tour winds its way thru the Middle East and prepares for a whirlwind European leg, a number of questions come to mind that deserve serious consideration.

- How appropriate is it to use active duty military personnel in what is still classified as a combat environment as campaign props?

- Why can’t Senator Obama acknowledge the success of the Surge in creating an environment that allows for serious discussion of major troop withdrawals from Iraq?

- As president, would Senator Obama be as tolerant of a presidential candidate interjecting themselves into the national security and foreign policy decision-making process as the Bush administration has of his own foray into these crucial policy areas on his current trip?

- As president, will Senator Obama be willing to host foreign political figures for what is primarily a campaign photo op as kings, prime ministers and presidents have been willing to do for him?

- With the anchors of the old guard Big Three evening newscasts following Obama on his trek like fawning groupies, can they maintain any serious credibility or the slightest impression of objectivity?

- How appropriate is it to post campaign banners at the most sacred site in Judaism; the Western Wall in the Old City of Jerusalem? Would the Vatican or the Great Mosque in Mecca be similarly appropriate locales in the eyes of the Obama campaign?

- While the first half of his tour has provided his campaign with ample video footage and photos of the Senator being the center of attention in exotic locales among foreign dignitaries and US military personnel, how will the images of adoring European throngs play in Middle America where Obama already has a problem with an elitist image?

The intentions of the Obama campaign are transparent. They seek to create the impression of gravitas and a command of military and foreign affairs. This is fair enough and standard when a candidate has such a meager resume and limited experience as Senator Obama. Look for him to further bolster his gravitas and policy bona fides with his vice presidential pick.

Furthermore, enunciating the principals and proposals one will pursue once in office is a fundamental part of political campaigns. Voters should have a clear understanding of the positions of those who seek public office; particularly the highest office in the land.

However, to travel abroad and engage in what appears to be a series of combination campaign photo-ops and long term negotiation sessions borders dangerously on hubris, arrogance and irresponsibility. This says nothing of the flagrant politization of the holy ground of one the world's major monotheistic religions.

Though lost in the heady abandon and narrow focus of a presidential campaign, perhaps the Obama team should take a step back, if for only a brief moment. Beyond the cherished images and footage, serious consideration must be given to the future impact on politics and policy development by the Senator’s trip.

Not only is the old adage that politics stops at the water's edge forever shattered, but presidential campaigns have now become global events. What does it say about the state of our electorate when our presidential candidates seek thousands of foreign supporters as the backdrop for their campaign and media events? Is the good Senator from Illinois running for President of the United States or Secretary General of the United Nations?

In addition to this, the media must engage in intense soul-searching regarding its clear lack of objectivity in its coverage of the two candidates. While the Big Three anchors follow in Obama’s wake like love-struck teens, a similar tour of South America by McCain barely merited mention.

As McCain’s latest campaign ad clearly demonstrates, there is significant bias bordering on blatant pandering towards the Obama campaign. If it hopes to regain it’s credibility it must objectively cover both candidates and cease towing the Obama party line. Given its recent actions there is little surprise its reputation has descended to little more than that of a well-funded and glossy partisan blogger.

Watch closely as the doe-eyed sophomores pass notes to the candidate between tour stops, faithful readers. Stay tuned for further updates as developments warrant and Senator O’Dreamy mesmerizes the media with his pearls of wisdom and superhuman charm.

Last edited:
It's scary, isn't it? Obama is a very powerful personality, and if I were a Republican, I would be worried too.

You have my sympathies.

It's scary, isn't it? Obama is a very powerful personality, and if I were a Republican, I would be worried too.

You have my sympathies.

The usual, well-thought-out response from the left. It amazes me y'all just blow off answering questions and think you get away with it.

I'm going to laugh my ass off if Obama wins and he turns out to be just another bureaucrat since all y'all leftwingbots have been so sucked into him saying he isn't.

Shades of "The Emperor's New Clothes." :badgrin:

The usual, well-thought-out response from the left. It amazes me y'all just blow off answering questions and think you get away with it.

I'm going to laugh my ass off if Obama wins and he turns out to be just another bureaucrat since all y'all leftwingbots have been so sucked into him saying he isn't.

Shades of "The Emperor's New Clothes." :badgrin:

Sorry, I have been around for many years, and I really think this guy is special. Of course it may be that after eight years of George Bush, anybody would look special. I was so proud that this week we had an American leader touring the MidEast who could speak thoughtfully and intelligently and without the ridiculous pretense that Bush seems to bring to every issue. And believe me the world is hungry for real American leadership.

Last edited:
Sorry, I have been around for many years, and I really think this guy is special. Of course it may be that after eight years of George Bush, anybody would look special. I was so proud that this week we had an American leader touring the MidEast who could speak thoughtfully and intelligently and without the ridiculous pretense that Bush seems to bring to every issue. And believe me the world is hungry for real American leadership.

Ah yes, they are hungry for a man with no strategy....Israel is clammering for the guy....:cuckoo:

Ah yes, they are hungry for a man with no strategy....Israel is clammering for the guy....:cuckoo:

You know when you use the same emoticon for every post it starts to lose it's effectiveness.....:cuckoo:

- How appropriate is it to use active duty military personnel in what is still classified as a combat environment as campaign props?
Not very, but then both sides do it.

- Why can’t Senator Obama acknowledge the success of the Surge in creating an environment that allows for serious discussion of major troop withdrawals from Iraq?
Because he would
have to admit he was wrong to oppose it.

- As president, would Senator Obama be as tolerant of a presidential candidate interjecting themselves into the national security and foreign policy decision-making process as the Bush administration has of his own foray into these crucial policy areas on his current trip?
Who knows.

- As president, will Senator Obama be willing to host foreign political figures for what is primarily a campaign photo op as kings, prime ministers and presidents have been willing to do for him?
Who knows.

- With the anchors of the old guard Big Three evening newscasts following Obama on his trek like fawning groupies, can they maintain any serious credibility or the slightest impression of objectivity?
No

- How appropriate is it to post campaign banners at the most sacred site in Judaism; the Western Wall in the Old City of Jerusalem? Would the Vatican or the Great Mosque in Mecca be similarly appropriate locales in the eyes of the Obama campaign?
Not very, and No. Campaigning should not even go on beyond our borders. IMO

- While the first half of his tour has provided his campaign with ample video footage and photos of the Senator being the center of attention in exotic locales among foreign dignitaries and US military personnel, how will the images of adoring European throngs play in Middle America where Obama already has a problem with an elitist image?
We will have to wait and see.

The intentions of the Obama campaign are transparent. They seek to create the impression of gravitas and a command of military and foreign affairs. This is fair enough and standard when a candidate has such a meager resume and limited experience as Senator Obama. Look for him to further bolster his gravitas and policy bona fides with his vice presidential pick.
Agreed.

Furthermore, enunciating the principals and proposals one will pursue once in office is a fundamental part of political campaigns. Voters should have a clear understanding of the positions of those who seek public office; particularly the highest office in the land.
Agreed, unfortunately it is not always the case.

However, to travel abroad and engage in what appears to be a series of combination campaign photo-ops and long term negotiation sessions borders dangerously on hubris, arrogance and irresponsibility. This says nothing of the flagrant politization of the holy ground of one the world's major monotheistic religions.
Agreed, but like I said Obama is not alone in doing this by far. It is however IMO more proof Obama is just another politician and not the great candidate of change he pot rays himself to be.

Though lost in the heady abandon and narrow focus of a presidential campaign, perhaps the Obama team should take a step back, if for only a brief moment. Beyond the cherished images and footage, serious consideration must be given to the future impact on politics and policy development by the Senator’s trip.
Agreed

Not only is the old adage that politics stops at the water's edge forever shattered, but presidential campaigns have now become global events. What does it say about the state of our electorate when our presidential candidates seek thousands of foreign supporters as the backdrop for their campaign and media events? Is the good Senator from Illinois running for President of the United States or Secretary General of the United Nations?
Agreed

In addition to this, the media must engage in intense soul-searching regarding its clear lack of objectivity in its coverage of the two candidates. While the Big Three anchors follow in Obama’s wake like love-struck teens, a similar tour of South America by McCain barely merited mention.
Absolutely, but they wont, Objectivity in the media is largely dead. :(

As McCain’s latest campaign ad clearly demonstrates, there is significant bias bordering on blatant pandering towards the Obama campaign. If it hopes to regain it’s credibility it must objectively cover both candidates and cease towing the Obama party line. Given its recent actions there is little surprise its reputation has descended to little more than that of a well-funded and glossy partisan blogger.
Agreed, but as I said, they wont.

Watch closely as the doe-eyed sophomores pass notes to the candidate between tour stops, faithful readers. Stay tuned for further updates as developments warrant and Senator O’Dreamy mesmerizes the media with his pearls of wisdom and superhuman charm.

:lol:

Good post bud. Well thought out and delivered.

Not very, but then both sides do it.

Because he would have to admit he was wrong to oppose it.

Who knows.

Who knows.

No

Not very, and No. Campaigning should not even go on beyond our borders. IMO

Will we have to wait and see, but it certainly could have that effect.

Agreed.

Agreed, unfortunately it is not always the case.

Agreed, but like I said Obama is not alone in doing this by far. It is however IMO more proof Obama is just another politician and not the great candidate of change he portrays himself to be.

Agreed

Agreed

Absolutely, but they wont, Objectivity in the media is largely dead. :(

Agreed, but as I said, they wont.

:lol:

Good post bud. Well thought out and delivered.

The usual empty reply to what is really a SPAM thread, the author should look at his own party, I've heard they are now even denouncing each other as they try to keep their cushy civil service job. "I ain't no republican!" Too funny.

Paul Craig Roberts: The Mother of All Messes

A vote for John McCain is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

As the Obama Magical Media World Tour winds its way thru the Middle East and prepares for a whirlwind European leg, a number of questions come to mind that deserve serious consideration.

Given that candidates of both parties have been doing that for decades, you mean?

He can't? News to me.

He wouldn't have a whole lot of choice, just like bush doesn't now.

If he likes them, sure...just like every other POTUS in the last fifty years.

Maintain credibility? They had credibility?

That would be up to the people of Israel to decide, don't you think?

Not a clue.

The intentions of the Obama campaign are transparent

They seek to create the impression of gravitas and a command of military and foreign affairs. This is fair enough and standard when a candidate has such a meager resume and limited experience as Senator Obama. Look for him to further bolster his gravitas and policy bona fides with his vice presidential pick.

Yes, they are transparent. He is seeking to win the election for POTUS. How perceptive of you to see that.

Voters should have a clear understanding of who they are voting for, I quite agree. They are often disappointed. Bush was going to be the most ethical POTUS and a unify-er, remember?

Does it?

Lot of words there. Well written, too. What does any of it really mean?

Not only is the old adage that politics stops at the water's edge forever shattered, but presidential campaigns have now become global events.

When it comes to elections, that adage has never applied, sport. That adage has to do with supporting a POTUS in times of war.

What does it say about the state of our electorate when our presidential candidates seek thousands of foreign supporters as the backdrop for their campaign and media events?

It says that American isolationism is dead...as it has been since Dec. 7, 1941

Is the good Senator from Illinois running for President of the United States or Secretary General of the United Nations?

POTUS.

In addition to this, the media must engage in intense soul-searching regarding its clear lack of objectivity in its coverage of the two candidates.

Our media has no soul. It never did.

While the Big Three anchors follow in Obama’s wake like love-struck teens, a similar tour of South America by McCain barely merited mention.

Obama's caterers offer better hors d'oeuvres.

Seems evident to me that the media likes to cover the Obama show better than the McCain show, too.

McCain's not looking so good. Obama's team seems to know what it's doing better than McCain's does, that is certain.

Okay

Given that candidates of both parties have been doing that for decades, you mean? .... He can't? News to me....

good reply Editec, I have little patience with this sort of nonsense today. It is speculation, association, and conjecture only, no thought, no help and really only propaganda that smears the other while ignoring itself.

"The beginning of thought is in disagreement -- not only with others but also with ourselves." Eric Hoffer

good reply Editec, I have little patience with this sort of nonsense today. It is speculation, association, and conjecture only, no thought, no help and really only propaganda that smears the other while ignoring itself.

"The beginning of thought is in disagreement -- not only with others but also with ourselves." Eric Hoffer

I'm sorry to see that opinions and healthy debate add nothing to the public discourse in your opinion. Though you've labelled this as nonsense and propaganda, you've taken the time to read and reply to it twice.

I would suggest that perhaps your response is more indicative of the lack of respect for other's political views that don't match your own as well as an emphasis on partisan dogma over intellectual exchange which is sadly the hallmark of today's political environment.

I'm sorry to see that opinions and healthy debate add nothing to the public discourse in your opinion. Though you've labelled this as nonsense and propaganda, you've taken the time to read and reply to it twice.

I would suggest that perhaps your response is more indicative of the lack of respect for other's political views that don't match your own as well as an emphasis on partisan dogma over intellectual exchange which is sadly the hallmark of today's political environment.

I don't think that was stated or implied anywhere in the post to which you responded.

What I will say is that many of us feel it disingenuous when people raise the types of arguments you do. Did you raise them when they were following McCain around Iraq? Or on any of his other photo op campaign stops?

I think not....

I don't think that was stated or implied anywhere in the post to which you responded.

What I will say is that many of us feel it disingenuous when people raise the types of arguments you do. Did you raise them when they were following McCain around Iraq? Or on any of his other photo op campaign stops?

I think not....

I feel it is inappropriate for any politician to use our military personnel as campaign props, regardless of their party affiliation.

As for other campaign photo ops, while McCain has ran what I believe to be a poorly executed campaign that lacks any demonstration of a mastery of political stagecraft, he has refrained from posting campaign banners at significant religious sites. So in that regard, I can't fault him.

However, if you feel I am being less than even-handed, I would encourage you to swing by my blog and checkout "McCain: Having Failed History He Is Doomed To Repeat It" in the June archives and "Republicans Should Be Careful What They Wish For" in the March archives.

Forum List

Back