Senator Kent Conrad to Retire

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Democratic Sen. Kent Conrad of North Dakota said he will retire from Congress and won't run for re-election next year.

Conrad, chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, told the Associated Press he wants to focus on reducing the nation's $14 trillion debt.

Conrad, 62, has been in the Senate since 1987. His retirement creates a pick-up opportunity for Republicans, who easily won North Dakota's other Senate seat and its lone House seat in the 2010 elections.

Democrat Kent Conrad to retire from Senate - On Politics: Covering the US Congress, Governors, and the 2012 Election - USATODAY.com

That should make the Republicans smile. This will be an easy pick up for them next year.

Democratic Sen. Kent Conrad of North Dakota said he will retire from Congress and won't run for re-election next year.
Conrad, chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, told the Associated Press he wants to focus on reducing the nation's $14 trillion debt.
That should make the Republicans smile. This will be an easy pick up for them next year.
Why couldn't he focus on that before? Does he seriously think he's gonna' have more influence outside Congress?

Translation: "I know I'm not gonna' get re-elected so I won't even bother running again".

This is like Major League managers and coaches of terrible teams quitting to "spend more time with their families".

Why couldn't he focus on that before? Does he seriously think he's gonna' have more influence outside Congress?

Translation: "I know I'm not gonna' get re-elected so I won't even bother running again".

This is like Major League managers and coaches of terrible teams quitting to "spend more time with their families".

If he's a lobbyist sure. The puppetmaster holds more power then the puppet.

As for Conrad, I'm sure he's getting out while the getting is good.

I wonder what that means for his Health Care Repeal Vote?

Absolutely nothing. Only 20% of Americans want the bill completely repealed and replaced with nothing anyway.

If he plans to vote FOR the repeal, he can figure he will not get any help from the DNC and thus his plans to retire. On the other hand, if he votes AGAINST the repeal, he would lose the election, anyway. Is he considered a moderate Democrat? ( I am ignoring the 20% comment. I believe that is innacurate)

Last edited:
If he plans to vote FOR the repeal, he can figure he will not get any help from the DNC and thus his plans to retire. On the other hand, if he votes AGAINST the repeal, he would lose the election, anyway. Is he considered a moderate Democrat? ( I am ignoring the 20% comment. I believe that is innacurate)

He's from North Dakota, of course he's a moderate Democrat. He has sided with the GOP on several issues, including healthcare a bit.

As for the 20% part of my comment, that is from Rasmussen which is typically a Conservative leaning poll.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, he and Lieberman are protecting their pensions. Did you think that they would kick the spending habit once they were out of Congress? A democrat trying to kick the spending habit is like a junkie trying to kick a drug habit.

Forum List

Back