Senate To Vote On Alaskan Drilling

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    While the amounts are debated, there is no doubt from any side that this would significantly reduce our dependence:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050316/ap_on_go_co/arctic_drilling

2. menewa

menewa Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Who cares about natural heritage when you have fossil fuels?

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Wow, I'm shocked that you agree. I should have known you'd be consistant, with how badly you want our troops brought home!

4. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    What exactly is "national heritage"? are not the natural resources of this nation part of our "national heritage"?

5. menewa

menewa Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Natural heritage is national heritage once you strip away all the politics and people and leave simply the land and its animals. Buffalo, bald eagles, the grand canyon and the great old forest of the northwest are all examples of natural heritage. These are images that form America just as much the images of Washington crossing the Potomac or Jefferson penning the Declaration of Independence.

6. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
  7. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I believe our national heritage is much more than just scenery, though the awesome vistas are included. The land and its animals (to include minerals, timber, and other resources) and their use are part of our national heritage too. The problem is to balance the needs of our society with the preservation of that heritage for future generations as well as our own.

8. menewa

menewa Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The way to create that balance, especially in the face of an indefinite rising population, is to switch to renewable everything. Considering we have some of the best schools in the world and we attract many of the brightest students and researchers, we could easily invest in enough R&D to make this possible in the very near future. Considering our system of valueing private enterprise over government enterrprise, it is really going to be up to our business men and women to push their companies in a this direction. However, government can help push things along with tax incentives and more R&D grants.

9. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    We should do all this, but in the short term, we should drill in ANWR, and it looks like we will.

10. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    I am amazed at the opponents arguments.

Well, it won't make that big of a dent in foreign dependence. Maybe around 3%. Mind you, this percentage could be higher. So therefore, we should not drill.

That's like saying, well, I don't want to save 3% of my earnings annually because it really won't make a difference, so I might as well spend it donating to third world governments who promote islamic hatred of america.

Silly, just silly. This could effectively cut our dependence on OPEC oil from 42% to 39%. At first blush it might not seem like a lot, but think in "millions" barrels at $50 a barrel.

Further, I would like to see a real unbiased environmental review that shows how this drilling would effect the natural environment to the degree spouted by people who want our money funding OPEC.