Sen. Gillibrand (D-NY) submits bill to expand online voter registration

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
Senator: Expand online voter registration access - WSJ.com

NEW YORK — Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand says people across the country should be able use their computers, smartphones or electronic tablets to register to vote.

The New York Democrat is announcing legislation Sunday that would force the 23 states that don't have an online registration system to establish one.

The bill also would expand enrollment access in states that currently have online systems by making them open to all eligible voters without requiring a state-issued ID.

Gillibrand says nearly half of eligible voters don't have access to online registration...

As soon as the legislation is introduced, I will link to it from this Senate website:

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Active Legislation

I doubt that Gillibrand's bill will pass, although I do think that online voter registration is indeed the wave of the future. I also disagree with the part I marked in red. I am FOR voter ID.

As already indicated on this thread from early January:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/clean-debate-zone/333884-electioneering.html

because of Federalism and the fact that nothing specific about the actual nuts-and-bolts of electioneering is written in the US Consititution, this means that each state gets to decide how to conduct elections.

But what Senator Gillibrand is submitting is in line with one of the Presidential Commission on Election Administration's recommendations (a commission that was headed up by both Obama and Romney's lawyers).

-----------------------------------------------------------

This could make for some interesting discussion.

I bet very much that in 100 years or less, elections will be done completely electronically, including registration, across the planet.

hey, who cares who votes anymore is the Dem motto

proof of who you say your are? pfeeesh who needs that crap

let them vote even if they are illegal, and vote as many time as you want

you shouldn't have to be bothered to go down and show an id, wait in line to cast a vote for the Highest office in this country....that's just way too inconvenient for the people...Democrats will come to your rescue

If a Democrat is sponsoring it, I'm sure it involves making voter fraud easier.

you shouldn't have to be bothered to go down and show an id, wait in line to cast a vote for the Highest office in this country....that's just way too inconvenient for the people...Democrats will come to your rescue

you can apply for social security benefits online,steffie... why not voting. there are means of confirmation.

the right hates the vote.

• Banned

Now, Stephanie, that is indeed very interesting.

Let's see: 49 of 50 states in the Union have mandatory voter registration.

One state does NOT.

Do you know which state that is?

Answer: North Dakota, a deep, deep RED state. It has no voter reg at all and no ID requirements at polling places. None. Nada. Zilch. Zip.

So, I say to North Dakotans, most all of whom are Righties:

"proof of who you say your are? pfeeesh who needs that crap

let them vote even if they are illegal, and vote as many time as you want"

:D

Care to try again?

Last edited:
I'm in favor of a national ID card, taking the place of the social security card, voters ID, and drivers license, with a free verification of identity through whatever resources are available, such as previous voting history, midwife records or court recordings.

you can apply for social security benefits online,steffie... why not voting. there are means of confirmation.

jilly, YOU CAN apply for any government program online, but then you have to go in PERSON to verify it...so how is this bill going to help anyone exactly

NEW YORK — Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand says people across the country should be able use their computers, smartphones or electronic tablets to register to vote.

The New York Democrat is announcing legislation Sunday that would force the 23 states that don't have an online registration system to establish one.

The bill also would expand enrollment access in states that currently have online systems by making them open to all eligible voters without requiring a state-issued ID.

Gillibrand says nearly half of eligible voters don't have access to online registration...

As soon as the legislation is introduced, I will link to it from this Senate website:

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Active Legislation

I doubt that Gillibrand's bill will pass, although I do think that online voter registration is indeed the wave of the future. I also disagree with the part I marked in red. I am FOR voter ID.

As already indicated on this thread from early January:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/clean-debate-zone/333884-electioneering.html

because of Federalism and the fact that nothing specific about the actual nuts-and-bolts of electioneering is written in the US Consititution, this means that each state gets to decide how to conduct elections.

But what Senator Gillibrand is submitting is in line with one of the Presidential Commission on Election Administration's recommendations (a commission that was headed up by both Obama and Romney's lawyers).

-----------------------------------------------------------

This could make for some interesting discussion.

I bet very much that in 100 years or less, elections will be done completely electronically, including registration, across the planet.

Great news.

Hopefully we will be able to vote online as well.

:clap:

What is it with you guys and the vote?

Why make it hard?

Oh yeah..because you don't want folks to vote.

:eusa_hand:

I'd go as far as to say registering online and voting online might be "more" secure then in person.

I think you may be right unfortunately, as the Republicans apparently do not favor this type of registration and keep resisting voter registration around the country. How horrible for everyone to have a chance to vote! And even more shocking to them is to have minorities be able to register to vote so they can vote them out of office! Now let's just call a spade a spade.

I'm in favor of a national ID card, taking the place of the social security card, voters ID, and drivers license, with a free verification of identity through whatever resources are available, such as previous voting history, midwife records or court recordings.

I could honestly be willing to work with an idea like this though a lot of details would need to be fleshed out. As it is now, the current voter ID laws are most certainly an attempt to disenfranchise low-income voters who traditionally vote Democrat.

However, if we can issue a national ID for free, I would be all for it. To me this is efficient. Combining these IDs into a single on and issued nationally through state agencies also save a lot of time and money for people who move to new states and often have to retake drivers' tests and spend money to get new IDs. SO this could have greater benefits beyond just insuring that people of all income levels and demographics will be able to vote. It will also create a more efficient means of establishing Identity that is standardized and accepted by all states.

Again, many details would need to be worked out but I think this could be a great compromise with the most important aspect being that the entire process of obtaining this new form of ID is completely free of charge.

I sure hope it works as well as the federal Obamacare online exchanges.

Those turned out pretty good in the end I'd say.

Those turned out pretty good in the end I'd say.
BhaxDR4CMAEnrI3.jpg:medium

Forum List

Back