self reliance

... but I like you more... plus I admitted I needed prayer :)
We all need love and like and respect. Jeremiah, included.

Well you are a better person than I, so I will leave the honor to you....
small-heart.gif
We are sinners, all, as you know. Have a soft heart for Jere.

I have a soft heart... somewhere...
You really meant fart, we know...

Mood killer!

We all need love and like and respect. Jeremiah, included.

small-heart.gif

Mood killer!
Wait until Jeremiah brow beats your Jesuit azz...

small-heart.gif

Mood killer!
Wait until Jeremiah brow beats your Jesuit azz...

He won't bother me. There's only a few left that will.............

Av, you were speaking about self-reliance in front of your gang that you couldn't live without, and which you obey and live by their every word?

How'd that turn out? :D

Turned out well. It's always good to be educated on our duties

Had an opportunity to speak in Church on self reliance the other day. I think it's important as a disciple of Jesus Christ that we should be self reliant.

By self reliance, I am not speaking of dependence on self to the exclusion of God. Quite frankly, that would be impossible. He created us. He created the world around us. He created our bodies. He created our mind. The skills, knowledge, and time we use are gifts from Him.

When I speak of self reliance I am referring to the use of the gifts God has given us to take care of ourselves and our family through labor, industry, and diligence. Supporting ourselves with our own labor and by the Hand of Divine Providence. Or Provident Living.

The Lord taught us from the beginning that we are to eat by the sweat of our brow and not the sweat of others. He reiterated this in the ten commandments when He taught us to labor six days and rest on the seventh. We are supposed to trust Him and put our shoulder to the wheel to support ourselves and our families or we are worse than infidels and deniers of the faith. We are supposed to trust Providence and free ourselves from dependence on neighbors, friends, governments, charitable organizations, even churches.

Why do you think that provident living is so important that we deny the faith if we aren't willing to work to support ourselves?

How do you think providential living and bring us closer to Christ?

What can we do to teach ourselves to be more self sufficient?

Let's see what Jesus says about such a preoccupation:

"I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.
The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.
Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?
And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit?
If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?
Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?
And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.
For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.
But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

-- Jesus; as quoted in Luke 12:22-34

We should care for those who are truly in need and cannot provide for themselves. But those who are capable of providing should work to make a living. Sometimes even though they are capable, there are not enough jobs available and it is hard for them to find work. We should improve our economy and encourage the hiring of able bodies to be hired by those in a position to hire.

Forum List

Back