self reliance

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Had an opportunity to speak in Church on self reliance the other day. I think it's important as a disciple of Jesus Christ that we should be self reliant.

By self reliance, I am not speaking of dependence on self to the exclusion of God. Quite frankly, that would be impossible. He created us. He created the world around us. He created our bodies. He created our mind. The skills, knowledge, and time we use are gifts from Him.

When I speak of self reliance I am referring to the use of the gifts God has given us to take care of ourselves and our family through labor, industry, and diligence. Supporting ourselves with our own labor and by the Hand of Divine Providence. Or Provident Living.

The Lord taught us from the beginning that we are to eat by the sweat of our brow and not the sweat of others. He reiterated this in the ten commandments when He taught us to labor six days and rest on the seventh. We are supposed to trust Him and put our shoulder to the wheel to support ourselves and our families or we are worse than infidels and deniers of the faith. We are supposed to trust Providence and free ourselves from dependence on neighbors, friends, governments, charitable organizations, even churches.

Why do you think that provident living is so important that we deny the faith if we aren't willing to work to support ourselves?

How do you think providential living and bring us closer to Christ?

What can we do to teach ourselves to be more self sufficient?

I think we need to be satisfied with God/Christ alone.

Not need the love or approval of others.

What does that have to do with following the Lord's commands to provide for ourself?

We need to love others and always remember our Lord loves them, even more than we can, which puts us submissive to the Lord's will to take care of our fellow humans.

Today I provide the best I can, it's not like 15 years ago when I could produce and over abundance..today I have extreme physical limitations...

... but I like you more... plus I admitted I needed prayer :)
We all need love and like and respect. Jeremiah, included.

Well you are a better person than I, so I will leave the honor to you....
small-heart.gif

small-heart.gif
We are sinners, all, as you know. Have a soft heart for Jere.

I have a soft heart... somewhere...

Av, you were speaking about self-reliance in front of your gang that you couldn't live without, and which you obey and live by their every word?

How'd that turn out? :D

Av, you were speaking about self-reliance in front of your gang that you couldn't live without, and which you obey and live by their every word? How'd that turn out? :D
That's OK, Taz.
itsok.gif

Taz wants to be Satan. Let's see how that turns out after your body dies.........

Jeremiah needs love, too.

small-heart.gif
We are sinners, all, as you know. Have a soft heart for Jere.

I have a soft heart... somewhere...
You really meant fart, we know...

Forum List

Back